Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Record short term of ownership for a 991 C4S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:22 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 991 C4S...

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Honestly, you're not the only one I've heard have these types of feelings on the 991. It's pretty well documented that many people feel the 991's (non-GT3 or TT's) gearing is too tall. Perhaps shorter gearing would have given you that feeling you'd been hoping for. Also, many reviewers have spoken about cars getting so good at what they do, they lose that visceral feeling that many hope will be there when purchasing a sports car. I agree with you 100% that sometimes you get something that you really like, but it just isn't quite all you'd hoped for. If I'm craving Mexican food, I can go to a fantastic Indian restaurant and have wonderful food. But it just won't quite hit the spot. In this case, you got a wonderful car, but it just didn't quite hit the spot for you. Nothing wrong with that and the people who think otherwise really need to check themselves. I love chocolate, but others' do not. I'm not going to call them stupid for it, just turns out their tastes are different than mine. Now, with all this food talk, I'm getting hungry! Good luck on finding the right car for you and I do agree, it actually sounds like the TT/TTS is what you're seeking. Hopefully it is exactly what you're looking for in a car once you get one. Happy Motoring and have a great weekend.
Scott:

Thanks for your post. I think you get my meaning.

Have an enjoyable evening and be safe
Patty
Old 12-28-2013, 11:09 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

not sure why people get fixated on the C4 being only for cold weather driving. Hell, the Aventador is also 4WD and nobody shies away from that in warm weather climates.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:24 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

That new Jaguar F-type might be the ticket....

Beautiful interior, pretty exterior, tons of torque (enough to leave a C7 in the dust) and nice handling. In tests, it did not quite have the overall balance of the C4S, but had tons of personality!

Motor Trend just did a nice article on the Best sports cars of the year, and I think the F-type was 3rd or 4th. Randy Pobst really liked it....

The Coupe version will be out in a month or two as well!
Old 12-29-2013, 09:45 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, interesting thread. I'm surprised by how harsh the responses are, for this forum, something I'd expect more on the "other" porsche forum. Patty, I felt the same as you did to an extent for the first few hundred miles of having my 991S, but once I got comfortable w/ the relative lack of torque, I was very happy w/ the car (especially on the track), but I did yearn for more low end grunt, hence the TT.

From what you have written, the 991TT(S) will be perfect for you. I've only had my TT for 2 weeks, but my experience so far has been better than expected. Power/Tq is excellent as expected, but the real game changer in my mind that makes this car that much better than the C2S and C4S is the RWS, it really transforms the handling. It's a heavier car than the NA models obviously, but the precise turn-in is remarkable at speed, and makes it feel more agile than it should. And don't discount the virtual shortening of the wheelbase at low speeds, makes for a much easier city car. PDCC has been great as well, as I didn't have it on my S. It's going to be my 75/25 year round daily driver and track car, which I can't say many (if any) other cars can do.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The new F-type coupe would indeed be a nice choice BUT it would not leave a C7 in the dust. I would take the F type over a new Vette but I lay odds the Vette is faster. Of course the TTS is the best......at double(or more) the price.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:01 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
The new F-type coupe would indeed be a nice choice BUT it would not leave a C7 in the dust. I would take the F type over a new Vette but I lay odds the Vette is faster. Of course the TTS is the best......at double(or more) the price.
Some Data:
In MotorTrend, the F-Type is doing 120MPH+ in the 1/4 mile, whilst the vette is at 117MPH. In several track tests, telemetry also had the F-type pulling like a freight train down the straights 3-4MPH over the vette. So, at the least, the F-type is quite a bit faster in a straightaway. (if you have ever tuned cars, you know 3MPH in a trap speed is huge) Both the 911 and C7 are faster in the overall lap however, due to better handling balance. The F-type is also hobbled by the auto transmission and convertible top. We will have to wait for a C7 vert with slushbox for a more apt comparo...

In the "car of the year" test...."the car easily outdragged the corvette"....117MPH trap VS 122MPH

Remember, that as cars get faster, and launch control skews results, it will be harder and harder to determine "true" quickness. For example, try a 30-95 run against a vette in a C4S and you will be slightly sorry you did so. However, with launch control, the C4S is "faster" than the C7 to 70 or so.
Consequently, It is better to look at trap speeds as a better indicator of speed rather than the launch. You can also analyze the data to see the accel. rate over the full speed range of the vehicle.
0-60 has become a joke due to launch control. It is more a measure of traction. We need to do a 10-100MPH run...that would be more useful!
Old 12-29-2013, 02:20 PM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fully understand where you're coming from: I traded in a 2013 C2SM with 1200 miles for another 2013 C2SM because I had settled on a color. Moral of the story: it pays to wait and get exactly what you want.

Anthony Rasoulli from Paul Miller did save me a trip to the dealership the second time around. LOL

Last edited by carrerapete; 12-29-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 12-29-2013, 02:39 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by achildofthesky
I guess what I am saying is the 991TT is the better fit for me. [...] An understated and quiet bad *** sort of automobile.

You've got to be kidding me......
Old 12-29-2013, 03:17 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

0-60 has become a joke due to launch control. It is more a measure of traction. We need to do a 10-100MPH run...that would be more useful!

It never was a good measurement because it measures something that drivers rarely if ever do. I agree that a rolling start is a much better measurement, but unfortunately it's something that a 991 wouldn't excel at.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:32 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

i see what you re trying to achieve,

i think the Ferrari FF will meet all your expectations
(AWD, Torque , Style, Inside space, Performance )

Last edited by fxz; 12-29-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:04 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Thumbs up C4s...

Originally Posted by jlanka
not sure why people get fixated on the C4 being only for cold weather driving. Hell, the Aventador is also 4WD and nobody shies away from that in warm weather climates.
+1
I always go the AWD route as my cars are all weather in use. I fully understand one odes not NEED AWD but I prefer it even here in Sunny Fl.

Never would consider an Audi With out quattro and I prefer a 911 of what ever sort to be of the AWD type as well.

Be safe
Patty
Old 12-29-2013, 05:14 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Default C4s...

Originally Posted by fast1

It never was a good measurement because it measures something that drivers rarely if ever do. I agree that a rolling start is a much better measurement, but unfortunately it's something that a 991 wouldn't excel at.
While I think manuals are fun, I don't really think launch control is a joke. It is another tool in the performance car tool box for extracting max performance starts. I do like the standing mile over merely one set of stats (0-60, 1/4 mile, etc..) Good info all but the mile explores the whole accelerative package more fully. Short gears are fine for 0-60, but over a longer range, shortness of gearing shows up in much slower terminal speeds.

2 1/2 years ago I would have never considered it as I was a 100% manual transmission gal, but I tried it and PDK is right for me. Manuals are fun but to me the PDK has all the advantages of a manual and takes shift speed to a MUCH higher level but makes heavier traffic much easier to deal with. Very flexible transmission type.

Be safe
Patty
Old 12-29-2013, 05:20 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Thumbs up C4S...

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64

You've got to be kidding me......
No I am not, I think the 991 Turbo in a darker color, Agate grey say, is a rather low key looking sporting car. Of course there is the rear spoiler but much of it is nestled there ready to leap forth as needed either in speed of if one feels the need to preen of pose. It certainly is not a Camry or Accord but much less "loud" than the GT3 spoiled and slammed suspension. A GT3 is an awesome ride and very track focused, a bit too much so for me.

Be safe and have a fine day
Patty
Old 12-29-2013, 05:29 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Thumbs up C4S...

Originally Posted by ajag
Wow, interesting thread. I'm surprised by how harsh the responses are, for this forum, something I'd expect more on the "other" porsche forum. Patty, I felt the same as you did to an extent for the first few hundred miles of having my 991S, but once I got comfortable w/ the relative lack of torque, I was very happy w/ the car (especially on the track), but I did yearn for more low end grunt, hence the TT.

From what you have written, the 991TT(S) will be perfect for you. I've only had my TT for 2 weeks, but my experience so far has been better than expected. Power/Tq is excellent as expected, but the real game changer in my mind that makes this car that much better than the C2S and C4S is the RWS, it really transforms the handling. It's a heavier car than the NA models obviously, but the precise turn-in is remarkable at speed, and makes it feel more agile than it should. And don't discount the virtual shortening of the wheelbase at low speeds, makes for a much easier city car. PDCC has been great as well, as I didn't have it on my S. It's going to be my 75/25 year round daily driver and track car, which I can't say many (if any) other cars can do.
ajag:

Winner, winner, you get my meaning. The 4ws is a great point and something I need to spend some time with to suss out.

My C4S would be fun on the track too, but while I would like to go to say Sebring as it is rather close, I chose to prep for the new ride rather than further depreciate what I had bought and, I hate to put it this way (as I DID like the car), cut my losses.

Enjoy the new turbo and I'd be pleased to hear your further thoughts on it vs the C2S you had. If you have the time and prefer, via PM is fine too.

Be safe and enjoy the new ride!
Patty
Old 12-29-2013, 05:31 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Thumbs up C4S

Originally Posted by carrerapete
I fully understand where you're coming from: I traded in a 2013 C2SM with 1200 miles for another 2013 C2SM because I had settled on a color. Moral of the story: it pays to wait and get exactly what you want.

Anthony Rasoulli from Paul Miller did save me a trip to the dealership the second time around. LOL
+1 agreed! Enjoy the new car.

Be safe
Patty

Quick Reply: Record short term of ownership for a 991 C4S?