Sponsored by:

My 911 C4S Arrived

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
They should fix that alu trim for you ! Your car is just too gorgeous for that crappy workmanship !
Thanks, I have an appointment for Thursday and I was told that they estimate 1 day to fix it. I hope they mean both sides of the aluminum trim.

Originally Posted by SFZ GT3
EX-7, as many have said, and I'll echo......congrats on your beautiful new C4S, and......stay on the dealer and PCNA to make it right!

The trim issues are unacceptable and can/should be repaired 100% so that no one can tell that they are bent or mis-aligned. As to the paint issues, it's hard to tell where and how significant they are. But if you notice them and they bug you, get them dealt with as well. Someone suggested that you have the paint dealt with by a top tier body shop. I agree completely. The "scratch and shine" guys at a typical store are just not motivated to take the time and care to do it to your standards. Get it done right, the first time.

As others have requested, please share some more pics of your fabulous build. The lights, stitching, wheels, etc., really set your car apart.

Good luck, keep us posted, and welcome to the "madness"!
I don’t want to go to a body shop and pay for them to remove the blemishes on the paint. The car was definitely not as polished and perfect as I expected. As a matter of fact, when I raised the back fin to show my son, there as actual a lot of dirt in there. Makes me wonder in what condition it was in by the time it was delivered at the dealership.
Now mind you, I have not moved the car since Saturday. (I have to explain that one at the end of this post) But I literally drove it the scenic route to my home and parked it in my garage.

As soon as this is resolved, there will be lots of pictures, inside and out

Originally Posted by Bacura
I think you may have missed the boat on this one. You paid for it. That's unfortunate. With all those defects you should never have driven it off the dealership or paid them. Sorry for being negative but a fix is not as good as a good factory finish.
I hope not From the beginning and to be fair to the dealership.. They did point out the irregularity on the aluminum top (the waves) and offered to fix this. Only later at home, did I see all the other things that I didn’t notice inside their garage. I think my eyes were overwhelmed taking it all in. I certainly wished I had one of you guys to accompany me.

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Coolest mom of the year award goes to...!

Congrats and have a Merry Christmas!
Thank you.. Merry Christmas to you too .. Looking forward to a Happy New Year

Originally Posted by Augustomf
Agree 100%,

Explorer 7, from one of your first pictures seems like they left residue from buffing, or glue from the shipping protective film. The next one looks like burn pad. Take it to a detailer, have an estimate done and ask the dealership to cover the cost, but I would not go back to the dealer to do it there. Also take your pictures and contact Porsche directly, I had a recall on my car and they were really good. The good news is that Agathe Gray is a great color to work with.

You are 100% right and correct to required a 100% perfect car, you paid for perfection!

You should also consider putting protective film, clear bra, ont the front of the car, you will not regret it.

Again, congratulations on your new car, sincerely hope all these details get resolved and you get to enjoy driving your car, which is what is all about.

Cheers
I am hoping it is literally just a small thing with left over glue or something.. What is a burn pad? Can you please elaborate?
I don’t want them to really touch my car, but I don’t think I have a choice here. Since they are say that they will fix it.
You would think that they are super apologetic etc.. but its far from that. The manager has not written me once since I met him for the first time, shook his hand and he left me standing there, only to be replaced by his sales person James.
By the way, I did put in a complaint with Porsche directly and the only email I got, that they were looking into it, and that the dealership would be in touch with me to resolve. Lol .. since the dealership have been the root of all my problems, that didn’t go very far.

Originally Posted by CaliforniaZombie
The aluminum trim definitely should not look like the ones you showed in your pics. Nor should the paint.

You seem to have a pretty awesome attitude about all of this - that's terrific. Yes, have the dealer take care of all of the damage and then drive off and enjoy that gorgeous ride
Thanks.. I feel vindicated to have pointed the gaps out and not looking right. About the attitude, Thanks.. I am trying very hard. And I certainly wasn’t so patient at the beginning months ago. I just don’t want them to suck out the last bit of joy, I have about this purchase. I truly want this to turn into something positive and forget about it all.

Originally Posted by sid_vicious
Awesome car!

You should definitely insist they fix the issues and even consider calling PCNA. Most times they are responsive, and like others have said at this price point you should expect nothing less.
Thanks I am working on it. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Originally Posted by handful
Beautiful car.....it's a shame that what should have been a picture perfect day was somewhat tainted. I trust you will be able to have all the issues resolved to your satisfaction. Keep us apprised.
Its fine.. at least these seem to be easily remedied. As long as the blemishes are not in the paint. I am really hoping that its quickly done and over with.

Originally Posted by Holli82
Enjoy!
Thank you I will

Originally Posted by lbahoshy
Congratulations! Nice colour combo
Thanks .. I am glad I picked this color combo too. But then, I don't think there can be a bad color combo on these beautiful vehicles.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:15 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Originally Posted by Explorer7
Thanks.. I feel vindicated to have pointed the gaps out and not looking right. About the attitude, Thanks.. I am trying very hard. And I certainly wasn’t so patient at the beginning months ago. I just don’t want them to suck out the last bit of joy, I have about this purchase. I truly want this to turn into something positive and forget about it all.
You're very welcome. Once your dealer fixes all of that in an as-new manner - and it should look perfect - I really hope you'll be able to enjoy the car. Yes, don't let this suck all of the joy out of it.

I didn't have damage to my car, thankfully, but I had a finance guy from hell. Do you know the movie "Dumb and Dumber", well I had "dumbest". Either that, or the guy may have been a downright crook. I'm not sure which. Most everything he touched on my transaction turned into a multi-weeks long convoluted mess to unravel, including misleading/inaccurate statements about aftermarket insurance plans, etc.. Everything. As much as I almost lost my mind through that phase, I was determined that it wasn't going to ruin my experience with this car. It didn't. It all got resolved, fortunately, and is in the past.

Rooting for you that you'll get through this. Just please don't accept a less than perfect repair job. If they tell you they can't fix it so it looks as-new, tell them you'll need a brand new car in that case, and a loaner vehicle in the interim to cover you.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

A quick explanation why it has been in my garage.

After I picked it up. I drove the car home via the scenic route.. stopped at my friends place (thats the pictures posted) and then I was on my way home.

That evening when I noticed the spots on the car etc, I took pictures and emailed them to the dealership. I wanted to make sure to be on record so it could not be turned around and I would be blamed.
I thought its better to leave the car in the garage until the appointment so it exactly in the condition as it was delivered.

When I picked the car up, it had 9 miles on the tachometer, when I inquired about the miles, James explained that this was from each stop taking the car to the individual locations. Now, I am not really believing it, but I thought, well, its only 9 miles and I don't know if its normal or not.
At the moment there are 31 miles on the car and when I take it to the dealership, they will be able to see, that I am telling the truth and I can't get accused that the blemishes occurred after it was picked up.

Sounds a little silly maybe, but I am not taking any chances with these guys.

My appointment is for Thursday and they said it will take 1 day to get it taken care of.

Oh, and yes, I am getting a clear bra installed. I have found a body shop that specializes in Xpel clear bra installations. Located in San Francisco, they gave me a fair quote and have excellent reviews on yelp.

Another thing that was odd, when I picked the car up, the dealer had clear bra film over the back bumpers applied. I don't know why, maybe they thought they are doing me a favor?
Old 12-11-2013, 12:08 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

You're very welcome. Once your dealer fixes all of that in an as-new manner - and it should look perfect - I really hope you'll be able to enjoy the car. Yes, don't let this suck all of the joy out of it.

I didn't have damage to my car, thankfully, but I had a finance guy from hell. Do you know the movie "Dumb and Dumber", well I had "dumbest". Either that, or the guy may have been a downright crook. I'm not sure which. Most everything he touched on my transaction turned into a multi-weeks long convoluted mess to unravel, including misleading/inaccurate statements about aftermarket insurance plans, etc.. Everything. As much as I almost lost my mind through that phase, I was determined that it wasn't going to ruin my experience with this car. It didn't. It all got resolved, fortunately, and is in the past.

Rooting for you that you'll get through this. Just please don't accept a less than perfect repair job. If they tell you they can't fix it so it looks as-new, tell them you'll need a brand new car in that case, and a loaner vehicle in the interim to cover you.
Thanks.. I am determined not to let this pull me down. It sounds like you really have a good idea of what I am talking about. I am sorry for your experience.. sounds terrible. I am very hopeful .. and look what I found in Booklet: Warranty and Customer Information model Year 2014.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:37 AM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Thanks.. I am determined not to let this pull me down. It sounds like you really have a good idea of what I am talking about. I am sorry for your experience.. sounds terrible. I am very hopeful .. and look what I found in Booklet: Warranty and Customer Information model Year 2014.
Looks as if your dealer did a very poor job at that pre-delivery inspection That, or it was performed by a person with serious vision impairment.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:48 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

Looks as if your dealer did a very poor job at that pre-delivery inspection That, or it was performed by a person with serious vision impairment.
lol both I am afraid
Old 12-11-2013, 04:31 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Not sure which Bay Area dealer you got the car from but I didn't have a good buying experiment in the old S.C. (before they moved down the street). Anyway, hopefully your dealer will do the right thing and fix everything for you. As for clear bra, there is a very good installer in the Fremont area, I am sure you will know which one if you do a search in this forum.

Last edited by THPorsche; 12-11-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:58 AM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a shame. In for results of dealership fixing their screw-up. Good luck and even with the flaws, she looks beautiful!
Old 12-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Not sure which Bay Area dealer you got the car from but I didn't have a good buying experiment in the old S.C. (before they moved down the street). Anyway, hopefully your dealer will do the right thing and fix everything for you. As for clear bra, there is a very good installer in the Fremont area, I am sure you will know which one if you do a search in this forum.
I am confident that everything will be fine there is no choice is there ?
The one I selected is in SF but if you would PM me the one in Fremond, I might want to call him to get a quote to compare one reputable shop to another.

Originally Posted by redleg321
What a shame. In for results of dealership fixing their screw-up. Good luck and even with the flaws, she looks beautiful!
Thank you, Very kind
I am remaining optimistic
Old 12-11-2013, 03:46 PM
MMK110464
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I am confident that everything will be fine there is no choice is there ?
Yes, there is a choice. You can help make it right.

Wait for the Porsche Customer Survey you will receive any day now. Be sure to be thorough when you fill it and write exactly what you have told us. Somebody from Porsche will surely contact you within 48 hours; tell them the whole story again and now that you are talking directly to Porsche, be more detailed than in the survey. Insist that the person who is calling provide you with his contact info so you can email him the pictures.

Your dealer will be contacted by Porsche and they will rush to make you happy.

I admire you because of the level headed way you are reacting to this situation and I wish you the best of luck.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take heart, this will all work out ok. While we all hope for perfection, in reality these are all very small problems and I'm sure one can find a flaw on any new vehicle.
It does look to me like a relatively poorly skilled person did the pre-delivery prep work on your car... probably used a tool of some sort to pull protective film off the car and damaged the bright trim. Leaning over the car can also put those mars and scratches into the clear coat. A skilled technician can polish that good as new very quickly. You also have a very forgiving color, so that is in your favor.

...and then you will have to keep in mind that once it is perfect again, then other stuff will happen to it...stone chips, water spots, road tar, etc. It is a car: drive it, enjoy it, and take the best care of it that you can. In all your dreams of having it one day, I'm sure you drove it and didn't just look at it!

BTW, I got one of the very first 991 C4S cars in the U.S. I let my (almost) 15 year old son drive it in a parking lot the day I picked it up. One of my best moments as a father...ever!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Explorer7, a burn on buffing the car happens when the person buffing the car leave the pad longer then they should on the same spot, or while twisting the pad the rubber backing hits the paint. A detailer will tell you what the best course of action is and how it will come out. The Xpel is a great option.
The paint issues on your car will be solved, they are minor.
The chrome molding issue is unacceptable, and also a easy fix.

We all know you had issues with this dealer, hang in there it will go away.

Turn on that PSE button and go for some nice long rides, including some tunnels, or parking garages, it will help you forget all these small issues, and put a big old smile on your face.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:47 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMK110464
Yes, there is a choice. You can help make it right.

Wait for the Porsche Customer Survey you will receive any day now. Be sure to be thorough when you fill it and write exactly what you have told us. Somebody from Porsche will surely contact you within 48 hours; tell them the whole story again and now that you are talking directly to Porsche, be more detailed than in the survey. Insist that the person who is calling provide you with his contact info so you can email him the pictures.

Your dealer will be contacted by Porsche and they will rush to make you happy.

I admire you because of the level headed way you are reacting to this situation and I wish you the best of luck.
Oh, you are so kind to say so.. but honestly, this evening I hit a point where they still managed to get to me. Even though I was determined not let them ruin the entire experience. Earlier, I was confirming my appointment for tomorrow via email. I got a reply that I had an appointment for Monday .. Now that would be impossible, since I am in NY beginning of next week. (Which I informed them off weeks ago since it fell right into my delivery window and I would not have booked my flight so I can take delivery of my car)

So here he is James, telling me my appointment is Monday next week . Two emails later and still stuck having an appointment to get my car fixed when I am not here. I then send a last email to those two *@*&% asking them if this was a big joke to them. If they were having a good laugh on me, trying to see what else it takes to get to me.

Even though, I wrote them Saturday evening after I noticed the scratches etc, that I still wanted to end this on a positive note. Willing to forget what happened in the past and that at this point, all I wanted was to get this resolved and start enjoying my car. Resigned, I just send them a last email that this was unacceptable and that, at this point, I needed to be put in touch with the owner. That even something as simple as an appointment could be taken care of without problems was beyond me.

Upset that they got to me again, and stuck on the shuttle bus from work, I started writing a review on Yelp. I don’t think 20 minutes went by after I posted the review (In these 20 minutes I also posted on the Porsche facebook page) I get a call from someone at Rector that I had not dealt with.

Saying that he was taking over and going to work with me to get everything resolved to my satisfaction. He asked if I expected the car back the same day, and I told them, no, that I am fine with them keeping it until everything is taken care of. He offered a loaner and that he would meet me tomorrow morning at 8am so I could show him everything. (My original appointment, I was given the name of a mechanic there.. not even Craig or James would be there in person to discuss it. I was handed off to their mechanics to deal with).

I wish I had not been on the shuttle because I could not say much for privacy reasons. But he actually, in the few minutes we talked, gave me the feeling that this was going to be resolved in a professional manner. (Which is all I ever wanted)

I wonder what would have happened if I posted on Yelp from the start.
Clearly neither James nor Craig took me serious. I kept trying to resolve this in countless emails, and really felt, like a 2nd class citizen. Was it the Yelp review? the facebook post? Or my asking to be put in touch of the owner?
I don’t know.. I am just more hopeful this evening than I have been in months

When the problems started, I asked to be put in touch with the manager. I was emailed his name, and he was cc'd in the communication. Not once did he call me, or chimed in, via email. Craig was 100% useless in that function. And by his action not to comment and support me, he shoed his support of James.

Now, I really do not like drama.. and this entire ordeal has been very embarrassing for me. I truly felt that I was being discriminated against and that they took absolute advantage of me. I am sure, this would never have happened, if I had one of you guys with me, and or if I was a man. Pretty sad, representation for the good name of Porsche. Or at least very unexpected on my part.

Still, when this is all over.. (hopefully in a few days) I will have an amazing vehicle to call my own. Just driving it for the first time, was so much fun. The engine sounds like a dream.. I, 100% love this car and would go and buy it again in a heartbeat. (lol just not in Burlingame.. I would drive to Redwood City or any other place but there

You guys have been great and patient. I am embarrassed to have such a rocky start. But I guess it can only get better from here right?

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Take heart, this will all work out ok. While we all hope for perfection, in reality these are all very small problems and I'm sure one can find a flaw on any new vehicle.
It does look to me like a relatively poorly skilled person did the pre-delivery prep work on your car... probably used a tool of some sort to pull protective film off the car and damaged the bright trim. Leaning over the car can also put those mars and scratches into the clear coat. A skilled technician can polish that good as new very quickly. You also have a very forgiving color, so that is in your favor.

...and then you will have to keep in mind that once it is perfect again, then other stuff will happen to it...stone chips, water spots, road tar, etc. It is a car: drive it, enjoy it, and take the best care of it that you can. In all your dreams of having it one day, I'm sure you drove it and didn't just look at it!

BTW, I got one of the very first 991 C4S cars in the U.S. I let my (almost) 15 year old son drive it in a parking lot the day I picked it up. One of my best moments as a father...ever!
Thanks.. I appreciate the support (A LOT)
Your son must have had the biggest smile on his face ☺ Did you take a picture?
Of course things will happen But at least it happened on my time .. and probably while I was enjoying the ride.

Originally Posted by Augustomf
Explorer7, a burn on buffing the car happens when the person buffing the car leave the pad longer then they should on the same spot, or while twisting the pad the rubber backing hits the paint. A detailer will tell you what the best course of action is and how it will come out. The Xpel is a great option.
The paint issues on your car will be solved, they are minor.
The chrome molding issue is unacceptable, and also a easy fix.

We all know you had issues with this dealer, hang in there it will go away.

Turn on that PSE button and go for some nice long rides, including some tunnels, or parking garages, it will help you forget all these small issues, and put a big old smile on your face.

Thanks for explaining.. that makes sense. And you bet, I will enjoy the ride.. I am already dreaming about the road trips I want to take..

I forgot to mention that my car has the clear Rock chip protection installed. (clear vinyl patch) When I asked about this (today) James replied this is standard in the 911.

Question:
On the back wheel fender, my car has a clear vinyl cover. I did not order and or pay for that.
I asked James about that in an email last night and he replied today that this came standard with the 911s.

Now, I have to get this removed now and replaced with quality Xpel vinyl with the body shop that is applying my clear bra.
I am not keen on Rector having installed it because, I do not like the material they use. (I noticed on their lot, many of the cars that have it and already show signs of yellowing and these are new cars for purchase)

Is that truly a standard feature for the 911s? Or is this another one of James’ tall tales?.. like when he told me on Saturday that my car had 28 coats of paint and that that was the reason why the paint job was not completely smooth.

Boy, that was fun .. writing all this down and dealing with this stuff after work

Now, all thats left is creating a list for my new friend at Rector, outlining all the issues.

A heartfelt Thanks to you all. I don't know, what I would have done without your support, advise and confirmation that I was not crazy asking for proper service.

Good Night :big bye:

PS: I hope this all makes sense, I honestly don't feel like editing.. So please excuse any grammatical errors or nonsense.. English is my 2nd language and when I am upset, it really shows
Old 12-12-2013, 02:15 AM
sid_vicious
Instructor

Glad to hear things are working out(at least moving in that direction). The stone guards(vinyl bits on the rear fenders) is a standard feature on all 911's.

Finally, if you are interested in getting a second opinion or just dealing with a good service department - I'd recommend Sonnen in Marin. Their service guys are very good and pleasant to deal with. I go to them for both my cars. Others on this forum have had good things to say about service at Fremont Porsche as well.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:51 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

Originally Posted by sid_vicious
Glad to hear things are working out(at least moving in that direction). The stone guards(vinyl bits on the rear fenders) is a standard feature on all 911's.

Finally, if you are interested in getting a second opinion or just dealing with a good service department - I'd recommend Sonnen in Marin. Their service guys are very good and pleasant to deal with. I go to them for both my cars. Others on this forum have had good things to say about service at Fremont Porsche as well.
Hi Sid,
Absolutely, so am I
Thanks for letting me know about those stone guards. I am glad that at least that was true.

Also, thanks you for the referral. I created myself a little document listing well reviewed vendors, dealerships etc..

I will very likely check them out. You can't put a price on excellent service nowadays. (I really appreciate it and always make sure to share the info with others and refer them)
Growing up the daughter of a chain store owner (Germany) I learned the importance of your customers and how it can make or break your business.

It does not matter how much money you pour into your company, if you don't take care of the consumers/customers, in time, it is certain to fail.

Quick Reply: My 911 C4S Arrived