Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saw my first C7 today

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 12:14 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 958 Likes on 454 Posts

After months of criticizing the exterior design of the C7 I finally saw one on the road yesterday. To my surprise it looked great. The color was a dark metallic red which helped tone down the lines of the rear lights. The front looked Ferrari- ish, and my least favorite angle was the side which still looked like a C6. It looked smaller on the highway than I expected and had a somewhat exotic sports car look to it. Changing my mind on appearance, I like it.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:40 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
I think the under the skin engineering is very admirable, it is the skin I don't like.

Honestly, one thing I do not like at all are the black vent/gill covers all over the car. I couldn't figure out why I liked the car the best in black because it is not even my favorite color, but then realized it was because it hid the vent covers. GM could make an immediate improvement in the car if you could option the car with body colored vent/gill covers. I think it would soften the whole Transformers thing a bit.
Your local body shop could correct that problem for about half of what Porsche charges for the colored vent option on the 981.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:56 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Does anyone recall the refinements Porsche made to the 911 from 2001 to 2002? To most people the cars look exactly the same. But at one concours they were parked side by side and it was fun to walk around comparing and discovering that not one single body panel was the same! Hood, fender, bumper, all around every little bit tweaked here and there, like Michelangelo sculpting the David. Because, you see, that is all that is left to do when you are so very close to perfect. Just keep incrementally edging closer. That's how we get the magnificence of the 991.

Or, you can be the kid scribbling crayon on the fridge. Mom used to spank and end that but nowadays we all have to reward them for their creativity. Consequently they learn nothing, and grow up to become car designers at GM.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:18 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A big Amen to that Very well said.

Originally Posted by chuck911
Does anyone recall the refinements Porsche made to the 911 from 2001 to 2002? To most people the cars look exactly the same. But at one concours they were parked side by side and it was fun to walk around comparing and discovering that not one single body panel was the same! Hood, fender, bumper, all around every little bit tweaked here and there, like Michelangelo sculpting the David. Because, you see, that is all that is left to do when you are so very close to perfect. Just keep incrementally edging closer. That's how we get the magnificence of the 991.

Or, you can be the kid scribbling crayon on the fridge. Mom used to spank and end that but nowadays we all have to reward them for their creativity. Consequently they learn nothing, and grow up to become car designers at GM.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:17 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're in fine form today Chuck! I'll drink to that!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:50 AM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks I need a new keyboard.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:37 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Does anyone recall the refinements Porsche made to the 911 from 2001 to 2002? To most people the cars look exactly the same. Because, you see, that is all that is left to do when you are so very close to perfect.
996 close to perfect? Seriously? I owned a 993 and a 997 but never considered a 996. In fact I don't think I ever stepped foot on a dealer lot during that era as I wanted no part of that ugly little buggy.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:12 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by clutchplate
996 close to perfect? Seriously? I owned a 993 and a 997 but never considered a 996. In fact I don't think I ever stepped foot on a dealer lot during that era as I wanted no part of that ugly little buggy.
And let me guess- you're a MT guy too? The fact is the 996 fits right into the 911 evolution. Porsche probably had no way at the time of knowing that it would turn out that the shape of the headlights was more important to the identity of the 911 than even the air-cooled engine. Well, they know it now! Headlight shape is now the defining feature of each Porsche model.

Still, looking at the overall design over time its darn near impossible to defend your view of the 996 being an "ugly little buggy." For sure it looks too much like the Boxster of the same era. Is the Boxster an "ugly little buggy"?

Be careful not to go too far for no good reason. Or you may find yourself one day admiring one of those truly ugly little buggies from GM.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:40 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
+911. The 996 has to be one of the least attractive, if not the least, of all 911's made. The sides of the car are just too flat. No shape to the car at all.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GM Engineering & design: Final Rendering sent to production:
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2013, 01:54 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Don't forget the clay mock-up:

Last edited by chuck911; 01-28-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:55 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
+911. The 996 has to be one of the least attractive, if not the least, of all 911's made. The sides of the car are just too flat. No shape to the car at all.
As a non-Porsche owner prior to the 996 introduction I didn't find the design offensive or without evolutionary justification. I just didn't think there was enough distintion between it and the Boxster, couldn't tell them apart upon approach.

Personally, I felt this was important since the 911, in my opinion was (and still is) the "halo" car.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:17 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

" For sure it looks too much like the Boxster of the same era. Is the Boxster an "ugly little buggy"?
Well, to me the Boxster from that era was an even uglier little fella. I passed on both cars despite being a dedicated Porsche fan, but that's just me.

And yes, an MT guy although I am PDK curious.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:34 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Well obviously Porsche made a big mistake using the same body on two very different models. But the other comments show people have a lot to learn about Porsche design history.

Unlike the crayon scribblers, Porsche puts their products through consistent model development. Go back and look at the early 911: same flat sides GSIRM3 complains about. Then over the years it developed into a wider track car eventually with monster Turbo fender flares. So the 993 comes out, whole car wider, same development. From this perspective the 996 was really no different than the early 911. And really, has no one noticed the 991 was introduced with fenders that now look minimal compared to what has followed with the C4 and Turbo? Nobody else in the automotive realm undertakes this sort of development anywhere near as far as Porsche, so I'm not surprised a lot of people haven't caught on. Its history after all, and people disdain history. But once you become aware its hard not to stand in awe.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:00 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Well obviously Porsche made a big mistake using the same body on two very different models. But the other comments show people have a lot to learn about Porsche design history.

Unlike the crayon scribblers, Porsche puts their products through consistent model development. Go back and look at the early 911: same flat sides GSIRM3 complains about. Then over the years it developed into a wider track car eventually with monster Turbo fender flares. So the 993 comes out, whole car wider, same development. From this perspective the 996 was really no different than the early 911. And really, has no one noticed the 991 was introduced with fenders that now look minimal compared to what has followed with the C4 and Turbo? Nobody else in the automotive realm undertakes this sort of development anywhere near as far as Porsche, so I'm not surprised a lot of people haven't caught on. Its history after all, and people disdain history. But once you become aware its hard not to stand in awe.
That's because we are clearly not as smart as you, great one.

Quick Reply: Saw my first C7 today