Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 07:05 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Paint Protection

Like most of you have said it's in the eye of the beholder. It all depends on your style and if you want to protect the paint/preserve the shine and finish. Someone mentioned that it doesn't shine like the OEM paint will. Would you even be able to tell there's paint protection on this 911?

Name:  IMG_1780.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  821.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1781.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  491.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1784.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  708.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1786.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  700.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1789.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  499.4 KB

There is film on the entire front end, plus both full doors.

Also, at Porsche Parade this year in Traverse City, Michigan we had four cars win their class at Concours and all had paint protection on the front.

There are many options when it comes to paint protection, we appreciate the support of Rennlist.

If anyone has any questions feel free to reply here, or PM us.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:48 PM
LotF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Complete waste of money. If you want a pristine car, store it in a museum. Wear your road rash with pride.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I've always been in the "plastic couch cover" camp but am seriously considering film for my new car when it arrives. A custom job (no seams) by a quality installer with one of the new film products is virtually invisible.

No matter how careful you are, sh$t happens and for a car that I plan to keep a long time I'm thinking I want the protection. Reading this thread with interest to get further perspective......
Old 09-24-2013, 08:35 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
As a AACA Master judge, covered paint signals no trophy. Also, pressure car wash sprays lift that film stuff off. Do you always want to hand wash?
Are there additional points given for a pristine car without stone chips vs. one with stone chips on the front end? If so then I suppose those who really wants to win the class must be so careful where, when, how, and how fast they drive their Porsche they might as well just park the car and trailer their cars to these concours events.........

I regularly wash my cars with pressure washer, no lifting of clear bra film yet on my DD with front-half hood and fenders, and full bumper coverage over the last 6 years, or the Porsche with full custom wrap with tucked under the metal panel over the last two years.

The clear protective film technology has come a long way, I'm sold on it myself.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:24 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography

Are there additional points given for a pristine car without stone chips vs. one with stone chips on the front end? If so then I suppose those who really wants to win the class must be so careful where, when, how, and how fast they drive their Porsche they might as well just park the car and trailer their cars to these concours events.........
The PCA Concours I've competed in award points to cars driven to the event and deduct points from cars trailered to the event.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:57 PM
GMAC03
Advanced

Originally Posted by 0Q991
GMAC03 -- I was contemplating CQuartz Finest over a wrap / bra also. You recommend 100%? How about durability? Besides looking / feeling better, will CQF actually offer some protection?
It is a harder finish then paint but will still chip. A stone that will chip paint will also deform a wrap IMO.

The great thing is washing and drying, the water repels off flat surfaces, and the shine is amazing.

having trouble attch photos of finished product, but on a new vehicle it shouldn't take long. My CPO'ed 911 had more then a few trips thru a soft cloth car wash
Old 09-26-2013, 11:20 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

There are three ways to keep a cars paint chip/scuff free:

1. Don't drive it (not a good option for me!)

2. Respray after 5 - 10 years

3. Clear bra every 5 years

Personally I rarely see paintwork that looks as good as the factory and there is always a risk of non matching metallics. That for me is one of the biggest reasons for choosing a clear bra. To repaint the front bumper, hood and fenders would also cost at least $1800 which is more than a custom clear bra would cost.

Consider the clear bra a wear item, replace every five years.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:53 AM
GrayBlack
Intermediate

I'm a huge fan of XPEL wrap on all of my cars. It's important to find a good installer. You won't even notice the clear bra after a proper installation. It just kills me to see paint chips.

If you're in SoCal you can contact Evan at Auto Armour. He does a phenomenal work.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:08 PM
spar10
Instructor

i've recently gone through a transition, and when i say recently, i mean in the last two days. two days ago i sold my 997.1 and today my 991 showed up.

the 997 had the clear bra applied to the customary locations. the 996 i owned prior did not have it nor does the 991. i don't plan on getting it again. the reason i don't plan to get it again is because i've had it both ways and i don't think it did anything for me. in fact, i removed from the 997 before i put it on the market as recommended by one of the local dealers. there's no right or wrong answer on this one but i find it to be unnecessary.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:22 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

After a dozen years and 150,000 miles I have to say the sad truth is the car is going to get chipped and scratched all over, and I mean all over, including the film. I had a few friends back when I got mine, couldn't understand why they couldn't see what a great idea it was. But they were right. I'd never do it again. Its one of those things that just feels right and good but ultimately proves futile.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Clear Bra IMO is a no brainer, it adds no weight, gives you more freedom to go fast in less then perfect roads, and it is cheap.

I bought a KIT online applied it at home, cost around USD 200, no brainer.

BTW, I still got a stone chip right at the begining of the hood and one on the roof right above the windshield.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:21 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

I park outside year round. Wash when I feel like it. Drive where I want to. No plastic wrap.

The freedom of having escaped the prison of what amounts to a museum piece car (like my 997 was) is liberating beyond words.

PS -- two years and no serious rock chips, even if I have had one memorable moment when a rock rolled over the hood, windshield, roof, and down the back.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:14 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
I park outside year round. Wash when I feel like it. Drive where I want to. No plastic wrap.

The freedom of having escaped the prison of what amounts to a museum piece car (like my 997 was) is liberating beyond words.
You're my hero! Like you, I drive my car. Just had its first year anniversary and I put 24K miles on it last year which would put the "what about the resale value" folks in a tizzy. It's got a few chips but still looks perfect from 20 feet, and has "patina" up close.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:26 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen

PS -- two years and no serious rock chips, even if I have had one memorable moment when a rock rolled over the hood, windshield, roof, and down the back.
I dont park outside at night and I did not have any other Porsche or any car with saran wrap before this. But +1,000,000 to everything else.

I always wonder what drives folks to put this on the car. Is it because the car is 100K? Or do you do it because it cost 2-4X your previous car? Perhaps one should really rethink if you can afford this car (and I don't mean it insultingly), if you need to really baby it to preserve resale value or whatever.

Which is not to say I abuse the car. I drive it like I have driven every other car. Once every few months I will Zaino it , clean the leather interior, etc. and wash and vaccum it whenever it is dirty in Summer, Spring and Fall. (I will ignore the washing in winter).

FWIW, I don't specify scotchguard or saran wrap for my suits and ties even though I have ruined many a nice tie with wine or soup. My iphone does not have a silly case either.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by XPEL Technologies
Like most of you have said it's in the eye of the beholder. It all depends on your style and if you want to protect the paint/preserve the shine and finish. Someone mentioned that it doesn't shine like the OEM paint will. Would you even be able to tell there's paint protection on this 911?

Attachment 764512

Attachment 764513

Attachment 764514

Attachment 764515

Attachment 764516

There is film on the entire front end, plus both full doors.

Also, at Porsche Parade this year in Traverse City, Michigan we had four cars win their class at Concours and all had paint protection on the front.

There are many options when it comes to paint protection, we appreciate the support of Rennlist.

If anyone has any questions feel free to reply here, or PM us.

I can clearly see where the film was cut next to the rear view mirror. I think a good picture for us to compare how the looks of the car changes with the film would be to take a picture of the juntion between the door and the rear quarter panel. As I understand the door is fully filmed and the rear quarter panel is not, we will then be able to see the color (refraction, shine, orange peel etc.) difference and make a judgement.

Quick Reply: Any Clear Bra Naysayers?!