Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Clear Bra Naysayers?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 02:46 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the 3M Expel product installed and have removed most of it. My experience with the product was that it seemed to mark and haze very easily and the 'self healing' properties didnt seem to exist.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:50 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

I am delighted not to have any wrap stuff.
I like to see the original paint, w/o lines.

I don't understand the saving argument at all. At what point is it finally permissible to allow oneself to take off the wrap? When the rest of the car has patina, do you then peel it off and go ahhhh, look at that paint that I could have enjoyed all along!?
Old 09-22-2013, 03:06 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by limey940
I had the 3M Expel product installed and have removed most of it. My experience with the product was that it seemed to mark and haze very easily and the 'self healing' properties didnt seem to exist.
Are you sure you got the right product? 3M and Xpel are two different companies.

My Xpel Ultimate film still amazes people 1.5 years later because they simply cannot tell the difference of the hood and fenders which are covered to the rest of the car which are not until they are within inches from the surface, I had the work done properly with all edges wrapped under neath the sheet metal, so no lines are visible for the hood and fenders.

Those who complained about the "lines" simply didn't pay enough and/or find the right shop to get it done right.

BTW, "self healing" is only for light swirl marks, and it does work for me, heavy scuff marks won't go away by itself, but I was able to polish off most of it so it's unnoticeable.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:37 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fbroen
I am delighted not to have any wrap stuff.
I like to see the original paint, w/o lines.

I don't understand the saving argument at all. At what point is it finally permissible to allow oneself to take off the wrap? When the rest of the car has patina, do you then peel it off and go ahhhh, look at that paint that I could have enjoyed all along!?
Yup, that's exactly what I mean; as long as you cover the car - to protect it - you never see it's magnificently preserved paint.

Have these plastic films actually morphed into the Porsche equivalent of a niqab?
Old 09-22-2013, 05:21 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Another thing that won me over on the Xpel was the fact that I track my cars regularly. And I've seen the paint finish on cars that don't have the protection provided by the clear film. It ain't pretty! That's patina I don't want.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd rather look at a nick in my clear bra than look at a nick in my paint. I guess you go with what bothers your the least.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:19 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,393 Likes on 2,511 Posts

I've had Porsches with clear bra. I've had Porsches without clear bra. I prefer without.

Don't tailgate cars. Stay away from trucks, especially trucks without mud flaps and dump trucks.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:47 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As a AACA Master judge, covered paint signals no trophy. Also, pressure car wash sprays lift that film stuff off. Do you always want to hand wash?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Porsche911_S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Holli82
I'd rather look at a nick in my clear bra than look at a nick in my paint. I guess you go with what bothers your the least.
Agreed. My first 911 had no clear bra and I ended up with several chips in my beautiful silver hood. The guy I sold it to had an issue with the chips but still wanted the car. I likely received less for the car than I would have otherwise. Now I have Venture Shield and I'm glad I have it. I already have several dings in it with only 3,500 miles. I try to be careful and avoid the trucks. But there's so much crap on the roads it's impossible to avoid all of the airborne stuff coming at you when you're roaring down the highway. I do have to admit that the plastic just doesn't look as bright as the painted surfaces adjacent to it.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:48 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When Clearbra first became the rage, maybe 7-8 years ago, I dutifully did a couple of the cars I owned back then.....but then quit doing it and my 991 is naked.
I just don't like the way it looks, pure and simple. I accept nicks and chips as part of ownership, do what I can to avoid them, and have Dr ColorChip to rely on. When the whole front is peppered too much for me, I'll get a re-spray. Interesting aside, dealers, at least in my area, don't give the hardsell on them anymore.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:32 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

It's all about philosophy I guess. Do you prefer to make love with or without a rubber ... ?
Old 09-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa
I just don't get these at all; it seems to me like you are just 'saving' the car for the next owner......like keeping a clear plastic cover on your lounge suite!
Hehe, that reminds me of my grandma's living room.
No clear bras or seat covers for me.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I sold my 997, the salesman went ape over the custom cut xpel we had on the car. He loved it and couldn't hide it, lol. Not trying to convince anyone - we are all well practiced in sticking to our guns with any topic. Just sayin'
Old 09-24-2013, 01:52 PM
GMAC03
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got rid of clear half bra and (was a beast to get off) had whole car compounded, polished and C Quartz finest applied. look amazing will never go back to a film.

Shout out to Bryon at Concours Touch, for spending 13+ hours on my car
Old 09-24-2013, 05:54 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

GMAC03 -- I was contemplating CQuartz Finest over a wrap / bra also. You recommend 100%? How about durability? Besides looking / feeling better, will CQF actually offer some protection?

Quick Reply: Any Clear Bra Naysayers?!