Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Any Clear Bra Naysayers?! (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/777654-any-clear-bra-naysayers.html)

rpf717 09-21-2013 09:22 PM

Any Clear Bra Naysayers?!

So I've read plenty of posts on here about folks who love/recommend installing clear bras on the car.

Anyone feel differently? I.E. its not necessary, or you don't like the looks, or you'd rather just save the money and repaint the car or touch up the bumper/hood it in 5 years etc . . ?

I'd love to hear some of the opposing viewpoints.

Thanks!

shaytun 09-21-2013 10:00 PM

This is a great question. I think most people who respond to clear bra threads are those who've had them. Also, for those who've had them and removed them, how much if any, fade difference is there. When answering could you give an idea of how much mileage is put on the car and how often it's garaged, etc.

John's 991 09-21-2013 10:11 PM

I have one and love it, except for a relative who scratched the crap out of it washing it. I will let you know if the paint underneath looks different when removed, but based on everything I have heard, this is not the case.

jlanka 09-21-2013 11:09 PM

I'm sorry I didn't get mine on the entire hood instead of just halfway.

Explorer7 09-21-2013 11:24 PM

I ordered my car with the entire front covered as well as the door grips and back of the mirrors and properly wrapped around.
I requested Xpel to be used for this. In my research, I found too many posts about yellowing of 3M clear bra vinyl. When I walked thru the Porsche parking lot and saw older models with a clear bra installed, many of them had yellowed and the lines were very visible.
I think it is a good investment and definitely extra protection when driving on the freeway.

tkdinga 09-21-2013 11:36 PM

Clear Bra Thoughts

Just my personal opinion, but while my last 2 cars had Clear Bra's (a BMW 550i and a 2012 997.2 - both half hood and front qtr. panels, front bumper, mirrors, lights and door cups); I'm kind-of breathing a sigh of relief that my new car, a 2013 Panamera S in Agate Grey, does not.

First, the 3M bra on the BMW did not stop a sharp rock from cutting through; and that makes a mess to deal with (remove film, respray, reapply, hope for a match), second, it seemed to me to get a little dingy, even though I was a fanatic about taking care of it like I was told). On the 911, while the protection was certainly there, the edges were hard to take care of and again, a lower side bumper rash required a bit of work around to avoid taking the whole thing off.

The Panny had a re-spray on the bottom of the bumper cause it was originally a loaner which got pulled up over a lot of high curbs. The re-spray was a simple event and it looks brand new. With all the flying debris on our crappy highways these days, the expert who did the respray said if it were his car, he'd just leave it alone and bring it back in if I keep the car for more than 3 years or so and get it re-sprayed if necessary. The cost really probably wouldn't be any more than the cost of most partial, certainly full bras these days.

But opinions vary, and I am holding my breath against this one taking a hit, so in the end, its your call. Good luck!

Team Plutonium 09-21-2013 11:43 PM

No clear bra here, and I never had them on any of my cars. But I can see how some people like it. Personally I found them to be a pain in the ass when you wax the car, and some rock chips look actually worse with a clear bra.

draxa 09-22-2013 02:43 AM

I just don't get these at all; it seems to me like you are just 'saving' the car for the next owner......like keeping a clear plastic cover on your lounge suite!

Nicoli35 09-22-2013 08:35 AM

While I find the plastic furniture cover reference appropriately appalling, (grin) - I wish I had done my entire car instead of just the front up to doors and side rockers/rear quarter panels. Well gosh I did do a lot. I drive it daily and have all kinds of funky gunk land all over it. I don't wash religiously, maybe once every two weeks. The car just always looks great imo, and I sleep better knowing it's somewhat protected from my rock throwing wide eyed driving shenanigans. This will be the second winter I'll be behind trucks on the highway and again - I just am glad to have it. The paint repair I had done on a 997 c4s I drove across the USA two years ago was what really made me consider the xpel ultimate and after all kinds of cruddy mucky whatever has wiped off the xpel and a little heat applied fixed up the film from any chips in the material.. Geez I'd do it again. :)

(I went with a trusted local detail shop instead of the dealer, btw)

nicoff 09-22-2013 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by draxa (Post 10777597)
I just don't get these at all; it seems to me like you are just 'saving' the car for the next owner......like keeping a clear plastic cover on your lounge suite!

100%

rnl 09-22-2013 10:11 AM

Half way up the hood on my car.

I'm not saving anything for the next owner. In 23000 miles i can see where the bra has saved the paint finish. It eventually "self heals" where the road junk has left a mark.

Choice is yours

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist

BradB 09-22-2013 10:44 AM

I have it on all my cars and while I understand that "saving the car for the next buyer" comment, I am really saving it for me. After years of ownership I still have a flawless looking car with no need for paintwork. While other often are living with chips forever. To me, seeing a chip on my car is a daily painful reminder. It drives me nuts. And being free from day to day worry of chips, especially with our lousy degrading roads, is priceless to me.

And when I am finally ready to sell I hand the next guy a perfect car--true. But what's the downside? It's a great re-sale selling point and extra money in my pocket afterwards.

aviography 09-22-2013 10:51 AM

^ + 1,000

991Dreamer 09-22-2013 12:08 PM

While I try hard to be respectful of the next guy's opinion I just have to be blunt here:

I just don't get these at all; it seems to me like you are just 'saving' the car for the next owner
Moronic statement (he writes without any intended malice whatsoever towards the author)!

I have it on all my cars and while I understand that "saving the car for the next buyer" comment, I am really saving it for me. After years of ownership I still have a flawless looking car with no need for paintwork. While other often are living with chips forever. To me, seeing a chip on my car is a daily painful reminder. It drives me nuts. And being free from day to day worry of chips, especially with our lousy degrading roads, is priceless to me.

And when I am finally ready to sell I hand the next guy a perfect car--true. But what's the downside? It's a great re-sale selling point and extra money in my pocket afterwards.
Hits the nail on the head perfectly!

That being said, I've read enough negative posts about the clear bra that I decided to pass on it and just try to be as careful as I can (not driving behind big trucks on the highway, etc) when I'm on the road and let the chips fall where they may (pun intended).

aviography 09-22-2013 12:22 PM

It's your car, do what you wish.

The Xpel Ultimate film I have on the entire front end of my car has already saved me 3 times when other car or even people walking by scuffed the film, I was able to polish out the film to make it almost unnoticeable, I don't think it would have been as easy if the film wasn't there.

You have to remember the film is soft and pliable where the paint is not, the film will give a little bit when the small derbies hit where the paint won't, the film will always buffer the impact or scuffing to reduce the effect on the paint.

Personally I value the OEM paint over a re-spray anytime for durability, color matching, and "originality", this will be high on my check list whenever I buy a pre-owned car.