Sponsored by:

Any Clear Bra Naysayers?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 12:47 PM
FlyScotty71
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
I always wonder what drives folks to put this on the car. Is it because the car is 100K? Or do you do it because it cost 2-4X your previous car? Perhaps one should really rethink if you can afford this car (and I don't mean it insultingly), if you need to really baby it to preserve resale value or whatever.
Hmmmm.... Please allow me to offer an answer to your question as to what drives people to protect their cars.

Speaking from my point of view only; I would say it is because the value of my 2014 911S that I just ordered, means so much more to me than any monetary value placed on the car.

It represents a feeling, an emotional connection that very few understand. It's about realizing a life long dream. That my friend is priceless. Again I cannot speak for others, but I could care less about resale value. It's about protecting things that are valuable and have meaning to me.

But to state that people should rethink purchasing a 911 because they can't afford it, simply because they want to take care of it, is (I don't mean this insultingly) the most f'd up thing I've read on this forum.

You have every right to drive and take care of your car how ever you see fit. It's your car. We all value things differently. I wish I could go through life not giving a s**t about anything. But then again, I guess that's why I have a cover on my iPhone.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:06 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

I don't think one can correlate level of caring about something with wrap or cover. I think it is up to each person to decide how they feel they best want to care about their car.

I care deeply about the car. I had a silver 911 toy as a 7-year old that I still remember -- I and I now have a slightly larger silver 911. Not a coincidence. To me they represent the greatest blend of design, engineering, usability, tradition, and emotional connection.

My version of caring is that I have no wish to cover it up to alter it from the factory finish. That is, I care too much to want a clear wrap.

(And on the iPhone, I think the cover just covers up the sleek beauty of the simple design. I equate the phone covers to the vinyl nose covers of old on cars. Helpful, perhaps. But to me, they ruin the visual, and in the case of the phone tactile, experience.)
Old 10-11-2013, 02:05 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyScotty71
Hmmmm.... Please allow me to offer an answer to your question as to what drives people to protect their cars.

Speaking from my point of view only; I would say it is because the value of my 2014 911S that I just ordered, means so much more to me than any monetary value placed on the car.

It represents a feeling, an emotional connection that very few understand. It's about realizing a life long dream. That my friend is priceless. Again I cannot speak for others, but I could care less about resale value. It's about protecting things that are valuable and have meaning to me.

But to state that people should rethink purchasing a 911 because they can't afford it, simply because they want to take care of it, is (I don't mean this insultingly) the most f'd up thing I've read on this forum.

You have every right to drive and take care of your car how ever you see fit. It's your car. We all value things differently. I wish I could go through life not giving a s**t about anything. But then again, I guess that's why I have a cover on my iPhone.
Right On.

Originally Posted by Augustomf
I think a good picture for us to compare how the looks of the car changes with the film would be to take a picture of the juntion between the door and the rear quarter panel. As I understand the door is fully filmed and the rear quarter panel is not, we will then be able to see the color (refraction, shine, orange peel etc.) difference and make a judgement.
Here you go, I just took this image of my car with Xpel Ultimate film applied on the left side of the gap, which is the front fender, the door on the right side of the gap is not covered, the film is now 18 months since applied.

Can you tell the difference? I can't tell the difference even in person from beyond a few inches away, and that's plenty good for me. Bear in mind the focus sharpness shifted a bit across the image since I was trying to get the reflection of the sun to not shine right into the lens, pro-DSLR body with pro lens used.
Attached Images   
Old 10-11-2013, 05:22 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
I don't think one can correlate level of caring about something with wrap or cover. I think it is up to each person to decide how they feel they best want to care about their car.

I care deeply about the car. I had a silver 911 toy as a 7-year old that I still remember -- I and I now have a slightly larger silver 911. Not a coincidence. To me they represent the greatest blend of design, engineering, usability, tradition, and emotional connection.

My version of caring is that I have no wish to cover it up to alter it from the factory finish. That is, I care too much to want a clear wrap.

(And on the iPhone, I think the cover just covers up the sleek beauty of the simple design. I equate the phone covers to the vinyl nose covers of old on cars. Helpful, perhaps. But to me, they ruin the visual, and in the case of the phone tactile, experience.)
+1 to most of the above and it essentially captures how I feel.

I think we all have some level of connection with our cars and we all love driving them.

[
Point taken. Sometimes we all say things that in hindsight are nothing more than thinking out loud and some things are best left unsaid.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:59 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have both my 1M and GTR clear bra,

5yrs on the gtr and 2yr on the 1M,

Its not just rock chip on roads, its those pesky insects that if not clean, will kill your hood and front bumper.
It only take me 3 minutes to wipe those dried up insect off my bumper with mircrofiber towel and mild soapy water. No worries about scratching the front bumper or hood, so far, after many years still no fade or yellowing, and my cars are daily driver.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:03 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What colors are your cars? I'm wondering if yellowing will show on a white car with full frontal bra / film in comparison to the rest of the car.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
Right On.

Here you go, I just took this image of my car with Xpel Ultimate film applied on the left side of the gap, which is the front fender, the door on the right side of the gap is not covered, the film is now 18 months since applied.

Can you tell the difference? I can't tell the difference even in person from beyond a few inches away, and that's plenty good for me. Bear in mind the focus sharpness shifted a bit across the image since I was trying to get the reflection of the sun to not shine right into the lens, pro-DSLR body with pro lens used.
I have Xpel on my car, and I have to fair that looking at a 90 degree angle like you took the pictures it does look good. However, when you look at refraction, you see how bad it looks compared to the clear coat. Here is a picture that shows what I am talking about. Look ate the reflection of the palm tree off my hood, see how fuzzy it reflects of the film compared to the clear coat. I did not bother to take he picture with a dslr because with a dslr all it will do it show how much worse it will get, the phone camera is actually helping to the film side.
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2013, 03:35 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I have Xpel on my car, and I have to fair that looking at a 90 degree angle like you took the pictures it does look good. However, when you look at refraction, you see how bad it looks compared to the clear coat. Here is a picture that shows what I am talking about. Look ate the reflection of the palm tree off my hood, see how fuzzy it reflects of the film compared to the clear coat. I did not bother to take he picture with a dslr because with a dslr all it will do it show how much worse it will get, the phone camera is actually helping to the film side.
I've been sitting here reading all the stories about how perfect these films are, how hard they are to see, how they look just like paint, and thinking to myself, "BS." Hard to tell if these people are fooling themselves, or see it but are happy to live with it, or maybe they're truly just not able to see it. (I have many times pointed out paint flaws to people who squint and strain and never do manage to see- and I'm including a couple professional painters here!- and yet I'm no expert and know people who make me look blind AND color-blind!) The film on mine is older 3M material, not up to today's standards, but I know there is nothing- nothing- that will ever look as good as paint. Even if we imagine some future perfect material that maintains perfect clarity and perfect smoothness, it still has to bond somehow to the paint, and that bond layer is never going to refract light exactly the same as paint. With this type of flaw, the more directly you look the less likely you will be to see it. Just like in this photo, it shows up better at an oblique angle. Thanks for posting!
Old 10-12-2013, 03:48 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually I didn't take the image I posted at 90 degree angle, it's more close to 45 degree angle, the close up is from the same image so it's at the same angle.

When you say you have Xpel on your car, is it the newer Xpel Ultimate film or perhaps an earlier film?

In any case, it's unlikely the film will have identical refractive index as the clear coat itself, every paint manufacture will have its own formulation with different refractive index, and companies like Xpel or 3M can only make one film that is generally good with most paint/clear coat, obviously the single stage paint without clear coat will look very different again.

The point is that PPF are getting to be very good in clarity and resistance to yellowing.

There are some area of my hood where the installer had to stretch the film more than he normally would because the film he ordered was slightly undersize, other than that, by applying the film to full panel coverage without film/paint transition line makes a good installation quite difficult to detect.

Still, at the end of the day, it's your money, it's your car, do what pleases you, I am very happy 1.5 years later with my decision to have Xpel Ultimate film custom installed for full coverage of all front end panels, at the same time I'm sure those who chose not to install the PPF are equally happy with their decision.

That's all it matters.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:52 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0Q991
What colors are your cars? I'm wondering if yellowing will show on a white car with full frontal bra / film in comparison to the rest of the car.
gunmetal on GTR and Valencia orange on bmw 1M.

Honestly, when I get this clear bra protection weather its 3M or xpel, the term we used here is "protection"
The value of protection out weight the difference of standing 2 feet away to see the difference in appearance if any.
We enjoy driving the most, and as we mature and our back acct gets bigger, so is our tastes in car and the money those car demand. Honestly, I woundn't put clear bra on a lesser car, but 50k and over and also everyday kinda car, why not.
You enjoy driving your car like its suppose to be driven, without worrying about rock chips or pesky insect that attract to your front bumper when driving at night.
For those who don't drive as much or at night, then don't get clear bra, just personal preference. Otherwise wash weekly if you worry about appearance.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
Actually I didn't take the image I posted at 90 degree angle, it's more close to 45 degree angle, the close up is from the same image so it's at the same angle.

When you say you have Xpel on your car, is it the newer Xpel Ultimate film or perhaps an earlier film?

In any case, it's unlikely the film will have identical refractive index as the clear coat itself, every paint manufacture will have its own formulation with different refractive index, and companies like Xpel or 3M can only make one film that is generally good with most paint/clear coat, obviously the single stage paint without clear coat will look very different again.

The point is that PPF are getting to be very good in clarity and resistance to yellowing.

There are some area of my hood where the installer had to stretch the film more than he normally would because the film he ordered was slightly undersize, other than that, by applying the film to full panel coverage without film/paint transition line makes a good installation quite difficult to detect.

Still, at the end of the day, it's your money, it's your car, do what pleases you, I am very happy 1.5 years later with my decision to have Xpel Ultimate film custom installed for full coverage of all front end panels, at the same time I'm sure those who chose not to install the PPF are equally happy with their decision.

That's all it matters.
Again, I am not saying Xpel is bad, or make your car look ugly, that is not the point, what I am saying is that you loose some shine, which is light refraction, and that is kind of obvious because any film will be a polycarbonate layer, which will not the as thin or smooth as the original clear coat. In sum, putting film of bumpers, great no loss, on hood debatable (loss shine vs protection) on doors and side panel kind of useless, very little impact probability and does not look as good.
If film was a perfect solution, cars would come out of the factory with it, and maybe in the future that might well be the case.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:15 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone have a comparison pic on a white car with Xpel Ultimate?
Old 10-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by shaytun
Does anyone have a comparison pic on a white car with Xpel Ultimate?
Here you go:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=36096
Old 10-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Clear bra....no clear bra
Manual.......PDK
Cayman......Carrera
"S".............non "S"

No right or wrong with this debate. Do what you like. I don't mind the paint protection but respect those who feel otherwise. They can do what they want with their vehicles. I do what I want with mine.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:43 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

My 997 did not have a clear bra - jury was still out in 2004 as to whether it was a good idea or not. It was black, and did a few track days in aggressive run groups, resulting in noticeable rash on the bumper and a nasty rock chip on the top half of the frunk lid. When going to sell the car, the buyer (a Porsche dealer) never mentioned it, and gave me a good price for the car.

I had Premier do seamless coverage on my Spyder, which wasn't cheap, but noticeable vs. naked paint. The car was not subjected to the type of driving (track, freeway) that typically results in chips, and surprisingly it was not a selling point to prospective buyers, so in hindsight I should have skipped it.

Quick Reply: Any Clear Bra Naysayers?!