Sponsored by:

Quality of Burmester System

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 04:51 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
I was already happy with the Burnmester, and now I like it even more with sound deadening in the doors. Huge improvement. My go to is Spotify on highest quality setting via Bluetooth.
You will get even more SQ improvement if you go through a wired connection.
The following 3 users liked this post by Joec500:
AdamSanta85 (04-13-2020), dundrln (08-28-2023), shammerman (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 07:13 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 198 Posts

I've messed with car audio since I was in my 20s. As I get older, I find it less and less "fun" tinkering with car audio and so on my latest purchase (911), I opted to pay for the best system offered. It's not the most awesome setup I've ever had but it is an excellent system, IMHO. I don't think it's worth the $$ but then a lot of the options on the 911 are over priced as well. Once again, you gotta pay to play. My GTS is a little louder than stock and I find the highs, mids, lows, and the bass to be very good to excellent. The less optimum systems tend to lose clarity and sound becomes muffled as volume demand is increased but not the Burm. Sure, the Burn has its limits but I'll probably lose my hearing completely before I blow a fuse in the Burm. I like a lot of tight bass and the BOSE just didn't do it for me. The subs in the Burm system aren't going to win any competitions but it's good enough for me at my age. If I were to put in an aftermarket system, I'd opt for the base system. BOSE with its fiber optics cables and logic make it harder to "modify" the system IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by luv2sleep:
Beezupra (04-13-2020), Trapperj (04-13-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 12:12 PM
Beezztie
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

OK, so after your comments (thanks for that) where most of you are saying it should be good (subjective as that may be) I thought I would have another go. I subscribed to Tidal (expensive if you go for the HiFi version, which off course is what you want) and connected my iPhone again, wired to the USB port. Took a CD and the same album on Tidal, Master recording, and compared them. What I also did before that is change the Burmester sound settings. Bass, Treble, Balance and Fader all at 0 (Fader was at +5 before, so to the front) and under Burmester chose the Live option. Alle boxes were unchecked before, because in my old school audiofile opinion sound should come from the front and as little sound processing as possible.
With these new settings I tried again and must say that does make quite a difference! Still not the best system I had in my cars (compared to custom builds with either Dynaudio or Focal speakers and separate subwoofers, all with separate amps, speaker wiring etc.) but it is much better now. Maybe I will remove the door panels and add some sound deadening to see what that does but less dissatisfied for now :-)
Thanks all!
Old 04-14-2020, 11:11 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I will say the stock "Sound Package Plus" system is garage! You can't hear a thing over the normal noises of the car. Even worse if you are trying to have a phone call. The speakers are so bad you can't hear people talking!!

What did I do? I ordered all the Burnmester speakers, and just finished installing them. It was around $1200 for all the speakers. By far the best was the tweeters! Nice heavy ribbon, vs the stock 1/4in garbage. The door woofers are 2in bigger then the low end ones. Of course all the new speakers are much heaver with real magnets and cones, vs paper and almost no magnets on the stock ones.

I'm very, very happy with the outcome, and IMHO it was well worth the time and effort. This is all with out the Burnmester amp, and sound shaping in the HU.

Yeah, also got some sound deadening coming. The door has a few areas that could really use a bit, and of course the inner door where the woofer sits needs some.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:19 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I will say the stock "Sound Package Plus" system is garage! You can't hear a thing over the normal noises of the car. Even worse if you are trying to have a phone call. The speakers are so bad you can't hear people talking!!

What did I do? I ordered all the Burnmester speakers, and just finished installing them. It was around $1200 for all the speakers. By far the best was the tweeters! Nice heavy ribbon, vs the stock 1/4in garbage. The door woofers are 2in bigger then the low end ones. Of course all the new speakers are much heaver with real magnets and cones, vs paper and almost no magnets on the stock ones.

I'm very, very happy with the outcome, and IMHO it was well worth the time and effort. This is all with out the Burnmester amp, and sound shaping in the HU.

Yeah, also got some sound deadening coming. The door has a few areas that could really use a bit, and of course the inner door where the woofer sits needs some.
Did you change the amp? If not, here's a picture of what's driving your $1200 investment in speakers.

Name:  lrkhHpRl.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  97.7 KB
Old 04-15-2020, 04:05 AM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ymg91150
I'm new to this forum and new to Porsche, so I assume I should be cautious with objection. And the following might even be blasphemic, but I can't hold it back: I don't get this popularity of the Burmester system. I've been listenig to both Bose and Burmester, not very thoroughly, but opinion was made within minutes: Burmester is way better then Bose. Maybe its a good system for a sportscar. But is great? I don't think so.

Let's be honest, it is placed in the worst possible environment for a hifi system. A 911 is noisy and offers no room for the music to unfold. There is no way I could ever experience this sort of joy I get from a real hifi system. Burmester might cause some awe, but as every other car system, it is far from taking me to a journey somewhere else. (Might be a good thing though as long as I'm driving... :-)

I really don't wan't to offend anybody, but IMO, Burmester is a waste of money. If you wan't hifi, don't drive a car. What you can get in a car is entertainment. For this purpose, Bose is just fine.
I have the burmester and I endorse this message.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:11 AM
Beezztie
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by flgfish
Did you change the amp? If not, here's a picture of what's driving your $1200 investment in speakers.

Saw that picture in your audio build thread elsewhere, terrible amp! Wonder if anyone has ever opened up the Burmester Amp, am afraid that might give more or less the same picture.. A renown custom car audio builder (Brian's Custom Audio, Google him to see what hew has done, incredible) told me Burmester (and same applies to Bose, Dynaudio etc.) have nothing to do with the equipment that is built into cars. They only connect their name to the solution, speakers / amps etc are not designed let alone built by them.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:17 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

I don’t get the comments that imply one should choose driving or having a great sound system. Why not have both? The 991.2 in normal mode is not that loud, especially compared to other sports cars. I thought one of the benefits of a 911 is its versatility to suit your mood—it can be a good daily driver, provide spirited drives in the country side, or be used as a track weapon.

Sure, a home system will sound better because there is no road noise in the background, but that doesn’t mean one can’t try to maximize enjoyment while driving—somedays that means music in car and other days that means no music and just listening to that flat six.
The following 2 users liked this post by TennisGuy:
Beezztie (04-15-2020), George from MD (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 08:15 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Burmester is best. I have had them all. If not yours is defective or you have distorted the sound with settings. Every sound setting should be neutral. This is not like a home theater with room correction algorithms. Porsche engineers have already set it for a flat response curve to the extent possible in such a poor acoustic environment.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:01 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisGuy
I don’t get the comments that imply one should choose driving or having a great sound system. Why not have both? The 991.2 in normal mode is not that loud, especially compared to other sports cars. I thought one of the benefits of a 911 is its versatility to suit your mood—it can be a good daily driver, provide spirited drives in the country side, or be used as a track weapon.
I agree, mostly. It's easy to go overboard in these cars though. These are sports cars with minimal noise isolation & loud exhausts (on purpose). These two things really put a damper on what you can expect out of a stereo in that environment.
I've sunk a fair bit of coin into my SQ system in my 911. It does pretty well in competitions while using all of the stock speaker locations. However, once you're driving, quite a bit of the fidelity is just lost to background noise. Specifically, I wouldn't bother with a subwoofer again in a daily driver, I don't think (unless you're just going for teenage boomy volume output). The low frequencies just get lost over 15mph in tire & exhaust noise - just gone.

I love listening to the incredible system in my car, but to be honest, it's super overkill in this class of vehicle.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:24 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by flgfish

LOL, that would be a upgrade for me! No, mine is all being powered off the headunit! I looked into adding the amp, but it was not worth the effort and cost. I don't even have the under dash sub. Weird how bad the sound system is for a $170k car. My Jeep Grand Cherokee is light years better! In fact my 1997 993 with the "digital" sound system was so much better sounding.

It's so much better now, while not perfect, I can now make a phone call while driving, and hear it. Also can listen to the radio at a normal volume and understand what is playing, rather then listing to muddy garage. While I know it can get much better, mine will stay this way, it's good enough for my purpose.

On a side note, I changed the tweeters about 2 months agouti the Burnmester ones. It was a enormous upgrade (best bang for the buck) but they were so much brighter then stock, treble was turned down to -4 to help balance it. Even with that it was still a little on the bright side. Once I changed out the rest of the speakers they are not as bright anymore. Everything is much more balanced. To the point the settings are now all at 0. It's amazing what a whole tuned system can do. Realistically, it's the speaker impedance, now wattage is more balanced for all speakers.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:59 AM
mountain_bound
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
I was already happy with the Burnmester, and now I like it even more with sound deadening in the doors. Huge improvement. My go to is Spotify on highest quality setting via Bluetooth.
When playing music via Spotify, do you get song, album, artist info on the pcm screen? I have a 991.1 with the Burmester system and use spotify. I can't seem to get the artist, track, album info on the pcm screen though.
The following users liked this post:
mwjackson92 (01-15-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 11:28 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by mountain_bound
When playing music via Spotify, do you get song, album, artist info on the pcm screen? I have a 991.1 with the Burmester system and use spotify. I can't seem to get the artist, track, album info on the pcm screen though.
No issues for me, 2012 991.1, Burnmester, latest iPhone Spotify

Quick Reply: Quality of Burmester System