Sponsored by:

Quality of Burmester System

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:26 AM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quality of Burmester System

For those who are trying to decide if the Burmester is worth $5K I would say an unequivocal yes! Assuming of course your into high end sound. I just bought an Audi SQ5 with their high end Bang & Olsen system. No comparison...it is just horrible.
The following users liked this post:
George from MD (01-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2013, 11:41 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

+1...
The following 2 users liked this post by fester:
George from MD (01-16-2023), HkPlinker (04-11-2020)
Old 08-16-2013, 11:47 AM
o2bcdn
Intermediate

+1....love my Burmester system. Of course it's completely off when I'm listening to the symphony of flat-six sounds during track days, but on the drive to/from the track and as my DD, I really enjoy the clarity of sound, detail and separation of instruments...it's terrific. Far, far better than the Bose system in my 997.2
Old 08-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 Burmester is awesome!

Although I don't think the B&O from Audi is horrible (I also drive a Q5 with B&O). You're absolutely right, It's by far not as good as the Burmester, but the Burmester is 6 times the price of the Audi B&O and not 6 times as good No comparison indeed....

Suzy991
Old 08-16-2013, 12:20 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I know Alan Cook was disappointed in his but I really love mine. I can drive with the windows open and still hear it clear as a bell. Pretty cool.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:36 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i like it a lot, tho there are some weak points like sound distortion at louder end.
the B&0 system on the old A8 were excellent.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:28 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Suzy991
+1 Burmester is awesome!

Although I don't think the B&O from Audi is horrible (I also drive a Q5 with B&O). You're absolutely right, It's by far not as good as the Burmester, but the Burmester is 6 times the price of the Audi B&O and not 6 times as good No comparison indeed....

Suzy991
I may have been a little harsh on the B&O before adequate speaker break in but I don't hold out much hope. Audio improvement is never a linear function with dollars spent. One always has to spend significantly more for relatively small improvements.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skinzy

I may have been a little harsh on the B&O before adequate speaker break in but I don't hold out much hope. Audio improvement is never a linear function with dollars spent. One always has to spend significantly more for relatively small improvements.
That is definitely true! I have to say that I had to play a little with the MMI settings to get the best out of it. It's indeed a lot worse than the Burmester. On the other hand, it's a lot better than the standard Audi soundsystem.

Suzy991
Old 08-19-2013, 10:34 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $5K+ for an audio system??? Please....

When I had a 1971 911T, I used to leave the rear vent windows open (yes they actually were functional!) so I could hear the engine better. Now these windows don't open and the engine sound is pumped into the car especially with the PSE.

Having said this, When I dive my Porsche the sweetest sound I could hear is the engine and exhaust. When I got my Stradale, the radio was an add-on, with the quality of a 60's transister. My previous Porsches were purchased with the "standard" radio which I used to get weather and talk. My newest purchase, a 991 C2s, I splurged and got the Bose because I wanted XM radio. I have found the quality of the Bose to be excellent considering all the other noises in the car that wipe out the highs and lows of a much more expensive system.

So it'd hard for me to understand why one would spend over $5K on an audio system that will be severely compromised by the surrounding noises? The beautiful sounds emanating from this system can only be appreciated if you are sitting in the car with the engine off with no other distractions.
Just my .02.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:58 AM
skinzy
Instructor

Originally Posted by LonnieR

So it'd hard for me to understand why one would spend over $5K on an audio system that will be severely compromised by the surrounding noises? The beautiful sounds emanating from this system can only be appreciated if you are sitting in the car with the engine off with no other distractions.
Just my .02.
Short answer is the 991 is a much quieter car even with the top down! Some might argue that in a noisy environment a better system is even more important. Of course you have to value high end sound to begin with.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:45 AM
JamesKen
Instructor

I would agree. The 911 can be very quiet if you drive easily. I think it has a split personality depending on how many buttons you push or how hard you drive it.

I really dislike Bose systems but think the one in the 911 is not all that bad or maybe more accurately put it is not half as bad as I was dreading. I bought my car used but would order the Burmester if I ordered a car but I am very fussy about music.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:53 AM
robbieracer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'd like to hear the Burmester, wondering if it's as good as an aftermarket system? I have the Bose and it's not very good. My current Tacoma and my previous M3 has/had Focal speakers and sub and they sound great!
This past weekend I stopped by Car Audio Innovations (well known on Rennlist & 6speedonline), he's done tons of Porsche's in the past. He spec'd me out a Audison processor & amp with Hertz speakers and sub for $5k. Everything will appear stock looking except for the Amp on the back wall of the trunk (frunk). Not sure if I'll do this or not, but something to think about. First I need to correct the buzzing/vibration by the front drivers speaker and see if I can make the Bose work.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:15 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

Originally Posted by robbieracer
I'd like to hear the Burmester, wondering if it's as good as an aftermarket system? I have the Bose and it's not very good. My current Tacoma and my previous M3 has/had Focal speakers and sub and they sound great!
This past weekend I stopped by Car Audio Innovations (well known on Rennlist & 6speedonline), he's done tons of Porsche's in the past. He spec'd me out a Audison processor & amp with Hertz speakers and sub for $5k. Everything will appear stock looking except for the Amp on the back wall of the trunk (frunk). Not sure if I'll do this or not, but something to think about. First I need to correct the buzzing/vibration by the front drivers speaker and see if I can make the Bose work.
Ouch $5K. I would love to know what that would sound like. On these after market upgrades what do they replace. Are you still using the Bose amp, tuner etc or are they bypassing that somehow?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:26 PM
porsche518
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 28 Posts

There is something magical about the lone nighttime drive in a 911 with your favorite piece of music playing. The burmester is worth every penny.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:38 PM
berndt
Rennlist Member

I can drop 5k just on vacuum tubes, I don't think 5k for a complete sorted factory installed rig is insane.
I spent more on my phono cartridge.
The following users liked this post:
George from MD (04-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Quality of Burmester System