Sponsored by:

991S Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:59 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the car stalled just as I made the turn and I was at an angle to the side wall (about a foot away). Traffic starting coming from both directions and I was afraid that I would roll into the wall when I tried to restart. It was a little hair raising.

I have a sense that a lot of the difficulty in starting the car after a spirited drive have to do with sensor overload in some way. It seems that many of these incidents are rectified after the car is allowed to stand for awhile.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:00 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
Stelvio pass must have been sweet. Hopefully you were going up on the switchbacks?
Actually the car stalled just as I made the turn and I was at an angle to the side wall (about a foot away). Traffic starting coming from both directions and I was afraid that I would roll into the wall when I tried to restart. It was a little hair raising.

I have a sense that a lot of the difficulty in starting the car after a spirited drive have to do with sensor overload in some way. It seems that many of these incidents are rectified after the car is allowed to stand
Old 05-11-2013, 09:52 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

Had one misfire (in 17000 miles) on cold start. It was recorded by the car's computer. They retrieved the code they Found nothing wrong.

Never happened again
Old 05-12-2013, 02:34 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

Alg1367...seems like it's a battery issue from other thread you just posted...did the workshop do anything when the car was towed for this issue??
Old 05-12-2013, 02:55 PM
alg1367
Track Day

Originally Posted by fester
Alg1367...seems like it's a battery issue from other thread you just posted...did the workshop do anything when the car was towed for this issue??
Nope. That wasn't a battery issue because it turned over just fine. Or maybe it was?

Dealer is getting a call in the AM
Old 05-13-2013, 11:27 PM
junlin
7th Gear

Same problem here !!!
Mine happened last week, until now the dealer still do NOT know the reason and wait for reply from Germany.
And they damage my apron when tow the car.
Now I'm waiting for apron repainted and reason. SHXT !

I think it's not the battery issue.
It looks like battery drainage but actually not.
When they disconnect the battery and reconnect it, the car can start again.

If someone know the real reason, please share.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:06 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Guys,

I had the same thing happen when our team owner took the 991 to Starbucks. It was the same issue that you guys describe. I made the mistake of NOT plugging in the OBD reader so I don't have any fault information. I drove to pick him up, disconnected the battery, grounded the positive to the negative and plugged everything back in. IF THIS HAPPENS TO YOU take out a 10mm wrench and do just that. This will drain all residual power in the car and deplete any fault memory. Sometimes faults are stored and sometimes they aren't. I did not read the fault so I don't know what it was but you are most certainly not alone. I would say that it's related to the auto start/stop because I noticed that the first alarm on the dash was that this was no longer available; that could also be a fail-safe and if the car won't turn over it won't allow you to run auto start/stop.

I also had the car turn off on me in the middle of a "test drive" around the industrial park. I had a bunch of yaw in the car and it went dead on me. That issue I have not yet been able to replicate. I'm still waiting to go to the dealership for the grinding 2nd gear, broken horn, broken washer fluid pump and the issue above which you described.

John
Old 05-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Didn't take long for that famed Volkswagen quality ethic to kick in, it seems...
Old 05-14-2013, 03:32 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have run my car very hard on the track several times a day, at times a couple of days in a row and never had any issues starting or running rough (early 2012 CS2). I agree with the sentiment that something is not right and the car should be checked. If nothing else, the issue should be documented with your local dealer should it persist or get worst.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:05 AM
laptin
2nd Gear

Definitely not a battery issue because my dealer checked and the battery is fine.
I am still waiting for my dealer to call me in to replace the crank sensor this week. I will let you guys know how it goes. Also, mine is CS2 manual.

By the way, the ones that are having this problem and have the PSE option, is your PSE button working fine? Man, mine works occasionally now. I'll get it check out as well.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:32 AM
junlin
7th Gear

Got my 991C2S back this afternoon.

Dealer told me that
"The computer of my car went into sleep mode and were not able to wake up by itself.
When disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, it wakes up."

Solution : Now update the software first.
And replace the solenoid valve when it arrive (Need 2 weeks)

Mine(Auto) equipped PSE. It works fine. No problem.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:12 PM
alg1367
Track Day

Originally Posted by laptin
Definitely not a battery issue because my dealer checked and the battery is fine.
I am still waiting for my dealer to call me in to replace the crank sensor this week. I will let you guys know how it goes. Also, mine is CS2 manual.

By the way, the ones that are having this problem and have the PSE option, is your PSE button working fine? Man, mine works occasionally now. I'll get it check out as well.
No PSE. C2S though. Stick
Old 07-04-2013, 07:40 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Just joined the no start club today. Parked the car after 1/2 an hour of normal driving, and after sitting for approx. 45 min. it would not start. Battery was fine, and the engine turned over strongly as these 991's do. Attempted 8-10 starts over a 5 min. period with no luck. At that point I was pretty much resigned to making the phone call to roadside assistance. Lo and behold, one more attempt and it started normally. No warnings or messages on the MFD.

Am I correct in assuming this issue only occurs after the car has been driven a bit and then parked, as opposed to the first start in the morning?

Last edited by pfan; 07-04-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:10 AM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Has anyone had this problem resolved yet? Just had a second occurrence today - parked for 20 min. after a short drive and it would not restart. Let it sit for 15 min. and it fired right up. Hate to waste a day at the dealer only to be told they could find no problem.

Sure wish it would throw a code so the techs have something to work with.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:08 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts
Exclamation

Aren't long cranking times, rough running and stalling classic symptoms of the direct injection HPFP failing?

Quick Reply: 991S Not Starting