Sponsored by:

991S Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 12:48 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
Aren't long cranking times, rough running and stalling classic symptoms of the direct injection HPFP failing?
Ahh, reminds me of my e92 335i coupe....
Old 07-25-2013, 01:31 AM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This issue, from what I have read, is due to a faulty camshaft positioning sensor. Apparently PCNA is aware of it as a number of cars have been brought in with this issue. Type it into the search and you will see posts on this.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 AM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
Ahh, reminds me of my e92 335i coupe....
Yes, I remember mine as well!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:40 PM
dencoop
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

C4S cab PSE, 7MT

720 miles on the odometer...same thing just happened... Drive the car for about 15 min. Parked it for about 45-60 min...went to start and got the long crank, then started and shut off 5-10 sec later....tried 3-4 more times and the same exact thing...keeps shutting off on its own after a few seconds of running.....

Is there a known fix ?

Thank You!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Wjkelly3
Track Day

2013 C4S - 5 minute drive and parked for about an hour. Would not start and the fuel filler flap wouldn't open either. Had to have it towed to the dealer.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Wjkelly3
2013 C4S - 5 minute drive and parked for about an hour. Would not start and the fuel filler flap wouldn't open either. Had to have it towed to the dealer.
Did yours crank at all?
Old 10-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Wjkelly3
Track Day

Yes it was cranking away. The dealer just called me and told me it was out of gas - again. The sad story is that I experienced the bad fuel gauge issue once before (on the highway - isn't that fun when your car dies going 70) and after having it towed to the dealer they 'updated' the car and re-calibrated the fuel system by empting and re-filling the tank. Since then, I've been keeping track of mileage at my fill-ups and this car had only driven 67 miles after being topped off. Now the dealer tells me the instrument panel is bad, perhaps it didn't let me actually fill the car with fuel (??) and they want to replace the whole instrument panel. I'm calling BS and going in to talk to them tomorrow. They dismissed the cam sensor idea btw.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:55 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

This happened to me at the end of August (2013 C2S, 7MT, about 2.5k miles on the odo at the time of incident). Engine cranked away a bunch of times but wouldn't start. Had to leave the car overnight where it was parked, came back the next morning and the car started perfectly on the first try. I had the dealer pick it up a few weeks later. They kept the car for a few days, but couldn't reproduce the issue and the car didn't throw off any fault codes related to the incident. Service manager speculates it had something to do with the fuel injectors flooding the engine with gas and then misfiring on start up. Hasn't happened since, and hopefully won't happen again. It was frustrating as hell, especially in a $120K performance machine.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 549 Posts

I have had a similar problem on a 2004 Acura TL. So it could be totally unrelated. Have not had it on the 991 yet.

With the Acura, there was never a problem with cold start. It would happen after driving the car and turning it off, and try to restart it again when the car is warm. It would only crank but the engine would not fire up. Never had it fixed but people speculate it could be some emission component acting up and preventing the engine from firing up. Definitely not a battery problem.

I don't understand how it could be emission related but maybe someone here can make sense of it?
Old 10-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bernpep
Yes, I remember mine as well!
But shouldn't the 997.2 have had the same issue? The 335 and 535 had them but only in the first years and it was fixed on later models, better pump manufacturer.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Wjkelly3
Track Day

The dealer called and told me that they were changing their minds about the instrument panel etc.. and they had found a gas line to the fuel pump had somehow become disconnected. Not sure if I'm buying the story - will see if it happens again.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:49 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Does anyone have this problem with PDK?

Had the same problem yesterday, never read this thread, I should have it would have saved me the time of calling roadside assistance. Drove the car twice in the morning for about 30 minutes each and a 2 more times for 15 minutes each. The car sat for for about 10 minutes and then it happened. Started, coughed, stalled, over and over again 10Xs. If I kept the revs up it would not stall but as soon as I let it drop to idol it stalled out. Roadside assistance told me the car would have to be stored at the tow truck facility since the dealership was closed..................I said no way. I will wait until M.onday. Walked back out after about a half hour and it started right up.......!...?

Our car is a '14 C4S MT with no PSE, 300 miles on the clock. During the issue I turned auto start/stop on and off a couple of times and it did not make a difference. To me it sounded like a fuel supply problem, not sure if is a starve or flood condition.............vapor lock maybe.....? I read OBD and it did not set any codes.
No sense in taking it to the dealership, nothing wrong.....................this time.
This has GOT to be found!!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 11:44 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Checked out a thread on another forum:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...commute-6.html

Seems it is a MT issue, specifically the crank position sensor, but allegedly can be resolved. Very surprised it does not show up on OBD...?

Ours gets rollbacked tomorrow..........will let you know.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
Seems it is a MT issue, specifically the crank position sensor, but allegedly can be resolved. Very surprised it does not show up on OBD...? Ours gets rollbacked tomorrow..........will let you know.
Generic OBDII readers only show the required emissions-related codes. The dealer's PIWIS tester may be able to access additional data logs.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:54 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
Checked out a thread on another forum:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...commute-6.html

Seems it is a MT issue, specifically the crank position sensor, but allegedly can be resolved. Very surprised it does not show up on OBD...?

Ours gets rollbacked tomorrow..........will let you know.

The OP of that thread has a PDK.

Quick Reply: 991S Not Starting