Sponsored by:

Launch Control

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 09:52 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Launch Control

Has anyone used the Launch Control on the 991? I tried it for the first time today, and it didn't do what I expected. I turned on Sport+, turned off PSM, held the brake, and pressed the gas, and the car seemed to struggle to rev, as I would expect normally, and the launch control light did not come on. When does the launch control light come on? Once it's been fully revved? I'm just a little scared to ruin the transmission.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:23 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Has anyone used the Launch Control on the 991? I tried it for the first time today, and it didn't do what I expected. I turned on Sport+, turned off PSM, held the brake, and pressed the gas, and the car seemed to struggle to rev, as I would expect normally, and the launch control light did not come on. When does the launch control light come on? Once it's been fully revved? I'm just a little scared to ruin the transmission.
Follow the instructions in the owners manual - exactly. Don't expect it to work if you don't.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:43 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't turn off PSM works great.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are instructions, and a link to porsche owners manual. It sounds to me like you are hesitant. Leave the PSM on, and follow the instructions below. sport plus button, left foot on brake, floor the accelerator quickly (not slowly revving up - you need to activate the kickdown by basically stomping on the gas.) When you get the launch control light, foot off the brake quickly...don't dwell.

Driving off with Launch Control
Launch Control allows you to achieve maximum acceleration from standstill.

Endangering Other Road Users

Launch Control is designed to be used in a controlled environment on closed circuit driving courses where no vehicle cross traffic or pedestrian traffic is present.

Use Launch Control only if conditions permit it to be applied in a safe manner.
Do not use Launch Control if there is a possibility it could endanger other persons.
Such a possibility exists if you cannot see that you have a clear road with no possibility of cross traffic in your intended direction of driving.
Information
Stress on components increases dramatically when starting with maximum acceleration in comparison with normal driving off.

Preconditions:
– Launch Control should only be used when the engine has reached operating temperature.
– "Sport Plus" mode must be switched on (indicator light on the button comes on and SPORT PLUS appears on the
digital speedometer or on the steering wheel).

Press the brake with your left foot.
Quickly press the accelerator down fully (kickdown activated) and hold it.
The engine speed will level off at around 6,500 rpm.
"Launch Control active" is displayed on the multi-function display.
Depending on equipment, the "LAUNCH CONTROL" logo appears on the steering wheel.
Release the brake within a few seconds.
Remaining stationary for a long time with LAUNCH CONTROL can lead to overloading of the transmission.

To protect the transmission, the engine power is then reduced and the LAUNCH CONTROL process is cancelled.

In order to drive off, the accelerator must first be fully released.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...ing-on-and-off
Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

I got it working on day 2. My problem was that I was being shy with the throttle, because it felt like it was hurting the car. Once I just floored it, the Launch Control worked perfectly. It works with PSM ON or OFF, and it didn't notice much a difference in wheel spin with either - none for both.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Venturi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...just being overly cautious, but on DAY2???

I just don't have the ***** to do that so soon in break in mode.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Venturi
...just being overly cautious, but on DAY2???

I just don't have the ***** to do that so soon in break in mode.
See the Earth Day post for proper break-in procedures.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:40 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sure its great fun if done correctly and occasionally, but I kind of see drag racing the 991 as missing the real point. It is so good at handling, braking and accelerating out of corners that launch control does not begin to show the car in its best light.

Launch control also can't really be that good for it either, but with that said I have a great time taking mine on the track and running it really hard, so maybe this is just horses for courses. I am glad that you know how to make it work now though. I assume that Day 2 was also the second day that you tried to get it working versus the second day you have the car. The car should be broken in and engine up to operating temp before using it, at least.

Awhile back I posted the link to the 991 iManual, where they have a video and whats in the manual regarding launch control, break-in hints as well as many other topics:

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...ual/ext/home/#
Old 04-22-2013, 07:31 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Here are instructions ... floor the accelerator quickly (not slowly revving up - you need to activate the kickdown by basically stomping on the gas.)
This is where you can potentially burn your clutch if, for whatever reason, the PDK hasn't gone into launch control mode. Much safer to give the throttle a little blip to make sure LC is active and the engine revs freely as if in neutral before burying the throttle to the kickdown switch.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:27 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Works like a charm on mine. Instructions however forgot one thing. Bring a fresh change of underwear.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:49 PM
911crazed
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys, As you can see I am noob. I just had my 991 Carrera delivered last week. The car did not come with Sport+. With that known, how do I launch this baby?
Old 04-28-2013, 07:54 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by 911crazed
Hi Guys, As you can see I am noob. I just had my 991 Carrera delivered last week. The car did not come with Sport+. With that known, how do I launch this baby?
Place pedal to the metal.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:03 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here yah go.

Crazy 2-Step Launch Control

Old 04-28-2013, 06:29 PM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 911crazed
You do not have the launch control feature. It is part of the sport chrono package. With no sport +, you have no sport chrono and thus no launch control either. No worries just put it in park floor the gas and then throw it in drive.

Just kidding. Please don't do that.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:11 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

I meant day 2 of trying launch control. I have 4000 miles on the car.

Quick Reply: Launch Control