Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991s will aftermarket headers give me this much gains??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
I've given up on all aftermarket stuff. No one has the ability to test their stuff like Porsche itself. Why would Porsche use these mods if they were better. Porsches are incredibly well engineered and with all the computers there is no way any aftermarket company is touching my car. I'm going on to my forth 911 and I've tried many mods including autothority chips/RUF parts/pulling the converters with straight pipes/lowering/quaife differentials etc etc. IMHO the only thing thats worth the effort are maybe wheels and tires. You get nothing back for aftermarket changes and possibly even loose money. Any reliability issues i've had have always been related aftermarket stuff. Do what you wish but I'll only put Porsche parts on my Porsche. Especially so with the new ones.
While I agree that Porsche has much more R&D capability than a lot of aftermarket companies, the reason we are able to extract more power from these engines is because Porsche must meet stringent exhaust emissions & noise regulations, and budget/warranty targets. They are doing a fantastic job, as the cars are more powerful than ever, yet cleaner than ever. However, there is power left on the table.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:07 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've given up on all aftermarket stuff. No one has the ability to test their stuff like Porsche itself. Why would Porsche use these mods if they were better. Porsches are incredibly well engineered and with all the computers there is no way any aftermarket company is touching my car. I'm going on to my forth 911 and I've tried many mods including autothority chips/RUF parts/pulling the converters with straight pipes/lowering/quaife differentials etc etc. IMHO the only thing thats worth the effort are maybe wheels and tires. You get nothing back for aftermarket changes and possibly even loose money. Any reliability issues i've had have always been related aftermarket stuff. Do what you wish but I'll only put Porsche parts on my Porsche. Especially so with the new ones.
Just because Porsche can build something doesnt mean they will. You dont see 1000hp 997 Turbos coming from the factory but you do see them from aftermarket tuning houses.

Porsche must meet emissions and sound regulations around the world while accounting for various fuel types. Not only that but Porsche doesnt use the best components possible. The stock exhausts, while they do work, are very cheaply built. Porsche does build some great cars, but its still possible for tuners to get more from the cars because some is always left on the table.

I dont think most owners care about recouping all money spent on aftermarket parts. Modifying a car is about enjoying it even more, something that cant really be expressed in dollars and cents. Most owners will lose quite a bit of money when buying a new car and reselling it down the road, but if everyone was so concerned about the money a Porsche wouldnt be the purchase of choice.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well that's all quite interesting. Since Porsche has to meet reliability/warranty and emission requirements I'll assume that much aftermarket equipment won't pass either. I'm on my forth 911 and have never had issues with the quality of the exhaust system. Why do you say Porsche exhaust systems are cheap? Maybe they are not as light as an apropovic titanium exhaust but that doesn't make it cheap. Anyone can spend on any after market mods. I'm only saying that with 25 years of porsche experience I have found aftermarket modifications cheap and often unreliable. And most certainly I have never received the performance gains I was promised. Buyer beware. The return on your dollar will be zero at best. I remember when I got my first 911 in 1988. I wanted to modify everything. The head driving instructor at my first porsche driving event told me just wheels and tires and not waste money on anything else. I ignored him and did chip/exhaust/RUF/quaife/shocks and more to the tune of 25 thousand dollars. The car was marginally faster,all reliability problems were related to the modifications and I got zero dollars extra when I traded it for my 964. The 964 out of the box was way better than that modified 911. Do what your heart desires but those are my experiences. People say the x51 is barely noticeable. If thats the case I defy any after market item to show anything but a very marginal increase in performance. Worth the risk and cost? That's your decision.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Well that's all quite interesting. Since Porsche has to meet reliability/warranty and emission requirements I'll assume that much aftermarket equipment won't pass either. I'm on my forth 911 and have never had issues with the quality of the exhaust system. Why do you say Porsche exhaust systems are cheap? Maybe they are not as light as an apropovic titanium exhaust but that doesn't make it cheap. Anyone can spend on any after market mods. I'm only saying that with 25 years of porsche experience I have found aftermarket modifications cheap and often unreliable. And most certainly I have never received the performance gains I was promised. Buyer beware. The return on your dollar will be zero at best. I remember when I got my first 911 in 1988. I wanted to modify everything. The head driving instructor at my first porsche driving event told me just wheels and tires and not waste money on anything else. I ignored him and did chip/exhaust/RUF/quaife/shocks and more to the tune of 25 thousand dollars. The car was marginally faster,all reliability problems were related to the modifications and I got zero dollars extra when I traded it for my 964. The 964 out of the box was way better than that modified 911. Do what your heart desires but those are my experiences. People say the x51 is barely noticeable. If thats the case I defy any after market item to show anything but a very marginal increase in performance. Worth the risk and cost? That's your decision.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your 3.2 Carrera, but there are a lot of proven aftermarket modifications for those cars that do increase value.

Regarding the 991, you also have to remember Porsche has a cost model to work with. The exhaust systems they use are stainless steel, but not 300 series, and they are all robotically MIG welded, not TIG. The catalysts they use are a high cell count. We use much more expensive parts that are less restrictive, yet still meet the strict Euro level 5 emissions requirements. We use investment cast merge collectors instead of the flat or hydo-formed collectors Porsche uses on their production cars.

Modifying the exhaust on your Porsche is part of the individualization of each car - some think the factory does best, and leave it alone....others are looking for a more visceral or emotional driving experience. Others just want their car faster and louder. That is why we are here. To each their own.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, because of your well thought out response I went to the fabspeed web site. Most of the comparisons regarding sound and performance seemed to be with the stock exhaust system. What improvements do you expect compared to the Porsche sport exhaust? If I decided to modify my exhaust I would use Pfaff performance whom you guys supply. I haven't yet asked them what they think the improvements will be.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:38 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on the country you live in. Being in Canada, you should have no problems with emissions and noise regulations. However, countries like Switzerland are much more strict and Porsche builds for the world so they must pass regulations in each market.

When it comes to return on upgrades you can usually get half the cost you paid if you sell the car with the modifications. In the past owners rarely modified cars and would almost never pay more money for a modified car. Another thing to remember is modifications are often a personal preference, particularly when it comes to sound and appearance. If you modify the car with an exhaust someone doesnt care for it won't bring in more money. The best thing to do is return a car to stock (or close to it) and sell the parts separately.

Originally Posted by Chris@Fabspeed
Regarding the 991, you also have to remember Porsche has a cost model to work with.
That's exactly it.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chris, any more thoughts regarding my CEL with your headers? I left Schane a message about ordering the spacers (haven't heard back), but I was wondering if that will resolve the issue. I can't imagine that both cats went bad at the same time (codes for bank 1 and 2), and the master tech switched out the gaskets and double checked the torque specs. Any help, and guidance is appreciated.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Chris, any more thoughts regarding my CEL with your headers? I left Schane a message about ordering the spacers (haven't heard back), but I was wondering if that will resolve the issue. I can't imagine that both cats went bad at the same time (codes for bank 1 and 2), and the master tech switched out the gaskets and double checked the torque specs. Any help, and guidance is appreciated.
Just sent you a pm, I will send spacers n/c
Old 10-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Well, because of your well thought out response I went to the fabspeed web site. Most of the comparisons regarding sound and performance seemed to be with the stock exhaust system. What improvements do you expect compared to the Porsche sport exhaust? If I decided to modify my exhaust I would use Pfaff performance whom you guys supply. I haven't yet asked them what they think the improvements will be.
We have had a few local and many non local 991S PSE customers who weren't completely happy with the sound after having purchased the PSE exhaust. For those customers we supplied them with our side Maxlflo mufflers only, and for many this was the little bit they were hoping for originally from Porsche.

Here is one review from a customer who also posted some video/sound clips
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7430...r-install.html
Old 10-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@Fabspeed
We have had a few local and many non local 991S PSE customers who weren't completely happy with the sound after having purchased the PSE exhaust. For those customers we supplied them with our side Maxlflo mufflers only, and for many this was the little bit they were hoping for originally from Porsche.

Here is one review from a customer who also posted some video/sound clips
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7430...r-install.html
Thank you Chris, but you guys don't owe me anything, I bought the headers from Serge who ran them for 6 months, so I'm the one who should pay for the spacers, I was just wondering if others had an issue with these cats.

Thanks again for the PM, I replied as well.

Quick Reply: 991s will aftermarket headers give me this much gains??