Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991s will aftermarket headers give me this much gains??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:57 AM
SUNNY991
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991s will aftermarket headers give me this much gains??

Fabspeed stuff is really cool I wanna use them...... but are those gains they have on there site true & will I really feel the difference?

Anyone have experience with aftermarket performance headers?
Old 04-12-2013, 12:04 PM
SUNNY991
Intermediate

Ss
Old 04-12-2013, 09:15 PM
YellowPMan
Instructor

[QUOTE=SUNNY991;10381450]Fabspeed stuff is really cool I wanna use them...... but are those gains they have on there site true & will I really feel the difference?

In simple terms no..I truly believe if these systems could add the various claims of different suppliers 15-50bhp...trust me every sports car manufacturer would offer these at a 3k option...cheaper that the fully developed and tested x51 that gives only 30bhp

You have to understand that with a exhaust mod. alone is not going to give you that big boost that you are looking for. You need to add intake syst., ECU re-map, lightweight flywheel, big throttle body, etc...
You will then see the claimed gains..bolt on exhaust will just improve the airflow and you may see a slight gain on a dyno..you will not feel the gain on a 350- 400bhp car..

Even the x51 power pack will only be felt at the upper rev limit in the lower gears, hence why it is ideal for track day enthusiasts..who truly understand that 30bhp is actually costing 10k plus is not bad for a 30bhp gain...

Aftermarket exhausts can look and sound great..but most manufactures base the bhp gains at the crank and not at the wheel..
Old 04-13-2013, 01:26 AM
SUNNY991
Intermediate

Aftermarket exhausts can look and sound great..but most manufactures base the bhp gains at the crank and not at the wheel..[/QUOTE]

Im talkng about headers not exhaust

Or am I confused headers n exhaust the same thing?

Headers next to the block. Exhaust past at the end
Old 04-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been wanting to try the Fabspeed headers since already put on their mufflers, please let us know if you like them! So far I like the mufflers and it sounds a bit sexier as we kept the main PSE muffler intact, didn't change sport exhaust just secondary mufflers. (kudos to Darren for being the first to try it After about a thousand miles now with the Fabspeed secondary mufflers they are a little more pleasantly raspy and provide a sort of duet sound along with the Porsche sport exhaust main muffler at all revs and speeds, pse on and off.. it's neat. I can't claim any increases in anything other than sound, but I'd swear that 6k+ rpm feels better on my butt-dyno, felt it right away after we put them on but maybe that is just in my head

Last edited by Nicoli35; 04-13-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:07 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you really believe the Fabspeed advertized 17HP/14ft-lb torque gain numbers they are showing for the headers alone? They certainly are great looking and for $2800 + install not too bad on the $/HP curve. Just dont know if headers alone could boost HP that much........be great to find out

OMG it's snowing out, first time in two years
Old 04-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trysixty
OMG it's snowing out, first time in two years
I know right!!? lol!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:14 PM
SUNNY991
Intermediate

What I want is better throttle responce and low rpm torque

I don't need high rpm speed.
I want quickness

Most of driving is on busy streets
And such
Old 04-13-2013, 05:34 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by SUNNY991

I want quickness

And such
not going to get that with exhaust. You need to trade in for a Turbo.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:32 PM
SUNNY991
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mdrums
not going to get that with exhaust. You need to trade in for a Turbo.
Headers is apart if the exhaust?
Old 04-13-2013, 09:37 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The most important item is belief.

With belief, all things are possible.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:35 AM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
The most important item is belief.

With belief, all things are possible.
LOL. I had the Fabspeed headers on my first 991 and yes, the throttle was a bit more responsive and there was a bit more sound.
Hard to put a number on a 'bit' and I am going several seconds faster around the track with my new 991S that has stock headers (but PDCC)... most likely because I have gained experience and that it has a lot more impact than a few hp's.

This being said, I liked the headers even if the car was not significantly different. It made the experience slightly different from the stock 991 and was worth the money.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:58 AM
SUNNY991
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SM_ATL
LOL. I had the Fabspeed headers on my first 991 and yes, the throttle was a bit more responsive and there was a bit more sound.
Hard to put a number on a 'bit' and I am going several seconds faster around the track with my new 991S that has stock headers (but PDCC)... most likely because I have gained experience and that it has a lot more impact than a few hp's.

This being said, I liked the headers even if the car was not significantly different. It made the experience slightly different from the stock 991 and was worth the money.

Slighty different
Not significant
And a bit
Are not words that I would spend 3k for
Old 04-14-2013, 01:47 AM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Slighty different
Not significant
And a bit
Are not words that I would spend 3k for
Truth is, the way the 991 is designed, you will not get anything significant from a performance standpoint (excepted maybe track wheels w/ R-coumpound tires) for $3k. Be prepared to spend a lot more (X51 or a full intake/headers+exhaust system, incl an ECU tune when it will be available).
$3k -or a bit more- can buy you a more responsive throttle and a bit of sound (headers), a much louder exhaust, bucket seats, a front wheels BBK, suspension improvements (unless you have SPASM+PDCC in which case I would leave the suspension alone...) or even a change of the interior trim.

All 'small' things that added up can make your 991S experience different and personalized and make you love the car even more.

If you are about seriously more power (ask yourself if you really need it to and how often you would use it), go for the 991 GT3 or the future turbo

Last edited by SM_ATL; 04-14-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:03 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I want quickness

And such
You want low engine speed torque. Turbos and cubic inches do that a whole lot better than after market exhaust systems.

Quick Reply: 991s will aftermarket headers give me this much gains??