Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is conventional wisdom on clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 03:30 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is conventional wisdom on clear bra?

All - having collected already my first little clear-coat chip on the drive home from the dealer thanks to dirty nasty Houston highways; I believe I am going forward with the clear bra/stone-guard approach.

What is the conventional wisdom on that today? The dealer is offering to do a full front end wrap for somewhere in the $1600 range which would be:
a. whole front facia
b. whole hood
c. both front wings/fenders
d. mirrors
e. up the A-pillars
f. across the top of the windshield back to the leading edge of the sunroof.

I am waiting for a call on the final price of that, but does anyone think that's serious over-kill? The car will go to the track once in a while; but my primary concern is the detrius that litters the Houston roads.

Also any advice on using the dealer's offered service vs. an independent? Dealer in question is North Houston.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hi, congrats on the car (love the color) -

I'd also do the lower side rocker panels along the doors and even a larger cut along the rear wheel fender flare, a lot of small pebbles / rocks fly up along the sides there, I can hear them while driving. (I also had it done, so I'm perhaps a little biased)

Again congrats! I went with custom-cut Xpel Ultimate film by a good independent detailer, so maybe ask what clear bra materials they are using and who is doing the work for the dealer, etc.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:01 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I've had nearly that extensive coverage with Ston-Gard for about 15 years. Newer materials are a lot less visible, but still there. So if you really value pristine appearance just realize its a tradeoff, beautiful paint with chips or beautiful paint covered up with less chips. When I first got mine a couple friends said they'd rather save the money and then later if the hood, etc gets bad enough have it sprayed and spend the money later. Didn't seem to make sense at the time. Ten years later, tired of looking at the line where the film ends, having to keep it clean, etc, that idea seemed a whole lot more appealing. No easy answers just food for thought.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

Thanks folks - pricing came in @ $1700 for the full monty and I'm going to go for it. There shouldn't be any cutlines on major surfaces so I am hoping the ability to keep it clean won't be too bad. Time will tell.

BTW: Nicoli35 - I'm jealous. Espresso interior was my first choice. Also your avatar photo makes the brakes seem tiny - at least in comparison to a fender well designed to fit 20" wheels.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I think I'm with chuck911. I understand why people get a clear bra, and they do have benefits, but I can't help but notice the film and to me it just doesn't look as good as a naked paint job. It's a close call which way to go, and while it's not nearly as bad as your grandma putting plastic on her couch, I still can't quite buy into the concept. Maybe I'd feel differently if I frequently drove roads with lots of gravel. My $.02.

Edit: Just missed your post that you went for it, RallyDog. Good luck, hope it turns out like you expect.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=RallyDogRacing;10115859]All - having collected already my first little clear-coat chip on the drive home from the dealer thanks to dirty nasty Houston highways; I believe I am going forward with the clear bra/stone-guard approach.

What is the conventional wisdom on that today? The dealer is offering to do a full front end wrap for somewhere in the $1600 range which would be:
a. whole front facia
b. whole hood
d. mirrors
e. up the A-pillars

I am waiting for a call on the final price of that, but does anyone think that's serious over-kill? The car will go to the track once in a while; but my primary concern is the detrius that litters the Houston roads.

Congratulations on the car.
I had the Expel product put on the exact same areas of my car.
I m very happy with it, i think the key is finding a good installer.

cheers
Old 01-03-2013, 04:56 PM
jmct
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm definitely having the front bumper covered when mine arrives, but I did the hood on my 997 and later had it removed because water spots from the rain were visible (barely, but enough to make it look worse). I received a refund from the installer from that portion and he couldn't understand why it happened. So, I'm going with the future-repaint option for that next time. No question on the front bumper though.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:32 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmct
I'm definitely having the front bumper covered when mine arrives, but I did the hood on my 997 and later had it removed because water spots from the rain were visible (barely, but enough to make it look worse). I received a refund from the installer from that portion and he couldn't understand why it happened. So, I'm going with the future-repaint option for that next time. No question on the front bumper though.
I dont know if this makes a difference but my installer told me the expel stuff could be polished and waxed. I recently did just that and the clear bra covered areas looked great

cheers
Old 01-03-2013, 05:41 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in Houston and going naked. I've picked up a few chips since new but I'll deal with them when they get bad enough to bother me. I've had it on previous cars and I just don't like the way it looks, to each their own.
You do realize that the dealer will call in a contractor and then mark up his work? If you decide to do it, go to the source, I can recommend the guy who does most of them if you wish. $1700 sounds outrageous to me. The last clearbra I had done was the front facia and hood/mirrors of a MINI (by the guru guy) and it was around $450. I think they've added the Porsche tax.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by limey940
All - having collected already my first little clear-coat chip on the drive home from the dealer thanks to dirty nasty Houston highways; I believe I am going forward with the clear bra/stone-guard approach.

a. whole front facia
b. whole hood
d. mirrors
e. up the A-pillars

I am waiting for a call on the final price of that, but does anyone think that's serious over-kill?
hey Limey,

I think it ran me around $2300 w/tax for the entire front to windshield/mirrors/side rockers/under door handles/replaced rear fender flare area with larger cut/... that is a custom-cut (not using pre-shaped pieces) and tucked under all edges and seams like under the headlights, etc. I also love your dogs in your avatar photo. Just awesome man.

Maybe it's crazy to add this expense, but my detailer demo'd the product - I saw the Xpel film repair itself with a little bit of lighter heat after I scratched a hole in it, amazing stuff. I've never added the underbody sprays or other dealer profit markups to any car in the past, but my (trusted) detailer really sold me on the Xpel and that's the only material I have experience with.

RallyDog, the espresso was on the car already on the lot, I can't take credit for anything but going for a good test drive and not being able to leave without that interior coming home with me
Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Hotmetal
Track Day

On a Guards Red 991, is it a good idea to use a clear bra?
I know that Guards Red fade over the year and swirls are very apparents. The clear bra protects the car against UV rays. If you apply Cleay bra just on the front, does that mean that over the time you could have a two tone red car? Would it be better to cover the entire car? It seems that it doesn't make sense!!

Is there someone who tried Dr.ColorChip product?

On order: 991 4S Guards Red/black leather, black SportDesign wheels, aerokit

Last edited by Hotmetal; 01-03-2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: More details
Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuck911
I've had nearly that extensive coverage with Ston-Gard for about 15 years. Newer materials are a lot less visible, but still there. So if you really value pristine appearance just realize its a tradeoff, beautiful paint with chips or beautiful paint covered up with less chips. When I first got mine a couple friends said they'd rather save the money and then later if the hood, etc gets bad enough have it sprayed and spend the money later. Didn't seem to make sense at the time. Ten years later, tired of looking at the line where the film ends, having to keep it clean, etc, that idea seemed a whole lot more appealing. No easy answers just food for thought.
+1

Rather have a few chips and respray at some stage than cover that beautiful paint with plastic !
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 PM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

i went with the full clear bra on my hood: no visible lines at all-I would never go for partial hood for the reasons of visible lines etc. I plan on keeping my car and the bra is barely noticeable, the new materials are amazing. Re-painted body panels are not my thing and are certainly not great for re-sale. to me the cost of 1700.00 was worth every penny! Good luck.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

My 997 is a DD and has a few chips on the bumper and bonnet. I plan to cover the bumper, but am a little confused about the bonnet. How much can you actually polish up a car that has been covered? Does it look the same as one without?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 PM
jmct
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TOporschefan
i went with the full clear bra on my hood: no visible lines at all-I would never go for partial hood for the reasons of visible lines etc. I plan on keeping my car and the bra is barely noticeable, the new materials are amazing. Re-painted body panels are not my thing and are certainly not great for re-sale. to me the cost of 1700.00 was worth every penny! Good luck.
Do you know what material you used, x-pel, etc.? I am starting to look around for someone to do a front-bumper near Delaware in a couple of months before I drive it home, maybe lights too.

Quick Reply: What is conventional wisdom on clear bra?