Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is conventional wisdom on clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:45 PM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

Venture Shield by 3M dealer installed. Lifetime warranty on the material against defeats, yellowing cracking and fading.8 year warranty on workmanship;

Honestly it is hard to know I have anything on the car at all-I can bet that 99 percent of the people would not know the car had it unless you looked very hard at it.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:52 PM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

I did do the headlights-it does effect the clarity of the beams when you look at it head on from head on. Thats the extreme **** side of me talking-really a minor issue-better than sand blasted headlights that can occur from highway driving. My last 997 headlights were showing their age after about 35,000 miles.

From the drivers perspective you would never be able to notice.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 PM
jmct
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TOporschefan
Venture Shield by 3M dealer installed. Lifetime warranty on the material against defeats, yellowing cracking and fading.8 year warranty on workmanship;

Honestly it is hard to know I have anything on the car at all-I can bet that 99 percent of the people would not know the car had it unless you looked very hard at it.
Thank you - just looked up the product and a dealer to consider, much appreciated.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:09 AM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a full hood and fenders etc with Xpel that was custom cut and wrapped so no edges show. Could not be happier. The new films are amazing. If you do a search, I posted a thread with extensive pics on the application process of the film on my car. A great installer is key.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Nine Nine One
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am leaning towards the Xpel film but was looking this morning and there are actually 4 different types. My normal modus operandi would be to just pick the most expensive. What are most people using?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:21 AM
DBYT
Pro

Xpel Ultimate
Old 01-04-2013, 10:23 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=Nicoli35;10116211]hey Limey,

I think it ran me around $2300 w/tax for the entire front to windshield/mirrors/side rockers/under door handles/replaced rear fender flare area with larger cut/... that is a custom-cut (not using pre-shaped pieces) and tucked under all edges and seams like under the headlights, etc. I also love your dogs in your avatar photo. Just awesome man.

Maybe it's crazy to add this expense, but my detailer demo'd the product - I saw the Xpel film repair itself with a little bit of lighter heat after I scratched a hole in it, amazing stuff. I've never added the underbody sprays or other dealer profit markups to any car in the past, but my (trusted) detailer really sold me on the Xpel and that's the only material I have experience with.

mine was a little cheaper but used a kit. He ran the film under the badge and over the sills, but did not remove lights and that kind of bugs me as i can see it (when i put my nose against it!). custom is the way to go. Expel ultimate, and as others have said, 99% of people wont see it, you have to know its there and look hard for it. Mine reacted to my new orbital buffer just like the uncovered body parts, looked very good. i would not do a partial hood, that would be visible.
cheers
Old 01-04-2013, 12:02 PM
WCE
User

Received 186 Likes on 91 Posts
Exclamation

Installation skill is EVERYTHING because this is not an easy job!
I would carefully check out a couple of cars your chosen installer has completed FIRST before trusting him with your car. A perfect install is well worth a few bucks more!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 PM
DG_Hennessy
Intermediate

We sold and insalled over 350 kits last year alone. Please listen when I say, when you wax/polish your film, you must use a wax that has a clear base. Most waxes have a yellow base, and though you cant see it, over time it will turn your film yellow. The film has pores so it can breath, waxes will fill these pores over time. We tell all of our clients to use Turtle Wax Ice as it will not yellow the film.

Hope this helps!

On a side note, I filmed my car when I first got it with a full front end kit. The feeling of driving behind someone and not needing to worry about getting a chip is priceless. I no longer cringe when I hear a whack..
Old 01-05-2013, 11:12 PM
spourreza
Pro

I covered half hood and bumper. No issues and it's black. What bothers me is the clear stone guards that come with car. Showing chips. So will replace with real clear film. I would do it
Old 01-05-2013, 11:46 PM
DHill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huge fan of Paint Protection Film. I covered everything Nicoli did, exactly. I'd go Independant. Every dealer install I have seen has been awful. Dealers seem to be trying it more now because they see the profit side of things, but don't yet have the experience if the independants.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Nine Nine One
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I corresponded with a local Xpel installer (Cincinnati). He said he will remove the headlights and also wrap around the hood, etc. However, he said the one place he can't wrap is the corners. That he said is not possible. Some of you who have had expert, full wrap jobs done - is this true? or should I be looking for someone with a higher skill level?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:38 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=DG_Hennessy;10117900]We sold and insalled over 350 kits last year alone. Please listen when I say, when you wax/polish your film, you must use a wax that has a clear base. Most waxes have a yellow base, and though you cant see it, over time it will turn your film yellow. The film has pores so it can breath, waxes will fill these pores over time. We tell all of our clients to use Turtle Wax Ice as it will not yellow the film.

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm trying to figure out the differences between 3M VentureShield ad Xpel Ultimate. I had 3M VentureShield on my BMW for over 6 years with no issues at all. But since I want the best for my 4S, am not sure if Xpel holds lifetime like 3M VentureShield does. Also, Xpel ultimate seems to be very expensive..well if utilized one of the best installers in the bay area...

Below are the areas that I think I'd go with:

1. full hood
2. full front quarter panels
3. front bumper (custom 1 piece application with film tucked wherever possible)
4. lights
5. mirrors
6. they will remove the factory pieces and apply a piece that extends from the rear flares to through the entire rocker panels stopping right behind the front tires
7. rear inner wheel arches (2 strips behind rear tires)

Above is going to cost me over $3K.

Few areas the I am skeptical about are the lights and mirrors....but man it is costly. In my experience, this doesn't help with the resale value of the car though (I'm living it with my BMW) but only helps you to have a peace of mind and feel good about the car....JMO...
Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 PM
jlamb
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with XPEL Ultimate and couldn't be happier. Days after getting it put on I took a rock to the left spoiler. The film was damaged but it saved my butt! Had the film replaced two days later and all looks like brand new.

Quick Reply: What is conventional wisdom on clear bra?