Sponsored by:

Open campaigns on the 991

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:07 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Open campaigns on the 991

Just sent my car to the dealer this morning, and they concluded that they need to complete FIVE "open" campaign on my car. My car is built in 02/12.

1. WC28, A/C pipe. The service advisor said this is a time consuming job.
2. WC34, front control unit. No further details.
3. WC40, Wind deflector. Rework the wind deflector using super fin long-life spray-on grease
4. WC41, Tension Ropes. Replace both convertible top tension ropes.
5. WC38, Seat belt opening.

It might take 2-3 days to complete. I also requested an oil change and brake fluid replacement with ATE Blue, for track purpose. The oil change is $200, more expensive than the 997.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Yikes, the campaigns on TV are bad enough!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure why the oil change is so much more, unless they have to replace the air filter. The oil filler is exposed, the air filter is not. They have to remove the fans and duct to change the air filter.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:42 PM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I run a dozen DEs a year and run the stock fluid which I believe is ATE Gold 200. Specs are almost the same as blue. Never boiled my fluid even though rotors are glowing red. Change at the beginning of every track season.

I don't like the blue stuff because you can't see when it's contaminated.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:55 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by street
I run a dozen DEs a year and run the stock fluid which I believe is ATE Gold 200. Specs are almost the same as blue. Never boiled my fluid even though rotors are glowing red. Change at the beginning of every track season.

I don't like the blue stuff because you can't see when it's contaminated.
Really? The stock fluid is as good as ATE Blue? Maybe I can stick with stock next time.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:57 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Not sure why the oil change is so much more, unless they have to replace the air filter. The oil filler is exposed, the air filter is not. They have to remove the fans and duct to change the air filter.
Good point, I'll check the labor hours to see how many hours they are charging for the job.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:45 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Picked up my car today, all open campaigns completed except WC28, where they found both front and rear A/C lines are leaking, and parts need to be ordered. I will take it back on Monday.

A side note: I requested an oil change, and found they use Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 European Fully Synthetic oil instead of Mobil 1 0W-40. I thought Mobil 1 is recommended by Porsche? Anyway, the 991's oil capacity is 7.5 liters, about 8 quarts, and I was charged $94.5 for the oil, about $11.8/quart. Wow, even more expensive than Mobil 1 0W-40. Anybody has experience with the Pennzoil Ultra?

They also charged $90 for 2 bottles of ATE Blue. I am buying these myself next time.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:48 PM
last993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had received the AC pipe campaign notice also, haven't had chance to call service and set up the appt, anybody else received the mail ? I purchased my 991 back in Feb.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:20 PM
autobahnA8
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also got the letter on the AC pipe. I'm scheduled to see the service dept tomorrow morning. Car was delivered in late February.

Update: three open campaigns on my car - ac hose, seals and control unit. Was told about 750 US cars are affected with the ac hose and that I was the only car in the geographic area with the seal issue.

Took about 2.5hrs to inspect the hoses and dealer needs to order parts. Fixing the seals supposedly also takes quite some time - I was asked to reschedule for a future date and told I will be given a loaner and out of the car for a couple days.

Last edited by autobahnA8; 09-21-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:09 PM
last993
Advanced

Just talked to the service advisor at the Beverly Hills Porsche in Los Angeles. He mentioned about body seal work also, 7 days in the body shop ? I asked him some questions and he neither had patience nor the knowledge to answer my questions. Any recommendations on reputable dealerships down in LA or Orange County areas that I should take my car to ? Name of service advisor would be a plus. TIA
Old 09-21-2012, 09:32 AM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee1169
They also charged $90 for 2 bottles of ATE Blue. I am buying these myself next time.
ATE Superblue is about $14 per 1 liter can.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:19 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Mine goes in Monday for the front seals and AC pipe campaigns. The estimate given me is 3 days at the body shop for the seals, plus a day for the AC pipe. It was explaind that this is the first one they are doing (or having done by the shop they use for body work) and as there were a number of things to remove and replace, they did not want to rush it.

The fuel line campaign done earlier had the car in the shop for a day- it was apparently the first time they had worked on a 991.

When i took the car in for the door panel buzz, they took 3 hours- removing and tightening both door panel, also taking extra time as it was first and they were both cautious and wanted to learn from doing it. That was not a factory campaign, just good service. I had an oil and filter change at the same time (~5k miles) and was charged about $90 more than I could have done in for myself purchasing oil and filter. That seems fair- the tech has to eat and the shop needs to be there. I will likely do the next one myself (as I have been doing for about 40 years of Porsches), just cause I want to.

One addtitional thought: Today is the good old days.
- I recall the factory retrofitting lead weights into front bumber guards to correct handling deficiencies on the first batches of 911s. Fixing early glitches as fast as they are understood is the Porsche way.
- Anyone who bitches about the complications and cost of servicing a modern Porsche needs to get them selves an air cooled car, and do the mainenance on its schedule.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:50 PM
hlee1169
Pro

My cab will go in on Monday for the AC pipes as well, although the service advisor think it might take more than 1 day. Your tech is probably proficient with 991 now.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:55 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by last993
Just talked to the service advisor at the Beverly Hills Porsche in Los Angeles. He mentioned about body seal work also, 7 days in the body shop ? I asked him some questions and he neither had patience nor the knowledge to answer my questions. Any recommendations on reputable dealerships down in LA or Orange County areas that I should take my car to ? Name of service advisor would be a plus. TIA
I would recommend BH porsche over the one in the south bay that used to be Steve Taub. When Steve died, the dealership became genuinely incompetent - I had to have BH do over some suspension work on my 993 that they had done (accident related), they left parts out, and failed to notice that the nose of the transmission was actually broken off. that's incompetent. with BH it's just an incompetent service manager - ask to speak to the mechanic and get the real info.

I haven't tried the one in the valley or downtown porsche.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:25 AM
Anders
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the AC pipe change they need to perform a 4 hour preassure test afterwards. I assume that's why it may take more than a day.

Quick Reply: Open campaigns on the 991