Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you had to pick one or the other...PSE or PDCC?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 02:20 AM
veilsideLGD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you had to pick one or the other...PSE or PDCC?

Hi Rennlist members!

I'm a new member on the forums and I am about ready to purchase my new 2013 Carrera S. Currently my setup is:

Carrera S
Black exterior w/ black interior
Black Leather Sports Seats Plus
PASM
Porsche Sports Exhaust
Ornament Crest for the wheels
PDK w/ Sport Chrono
Sport Design Steering wheel

I currently have the budget for this setup and I was wondering if I should swap the PSE for the PDCC? I am not going to take the vehicle to the track but I will be driving it spiritedly on the canyons. I've heard the sound clips and the PSE does sound more exhilarating with more burbles and crackles but is it really worth it compared to PDCC?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:58 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

test-drive a Carrera with PSE turned on and off

Last edited by Nicoli35; 09-12-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:39 AM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Drive two cars back to back and see what you think. Personally, I think the PSE is boring as can be, but I prefer my cars to have much more sound. Because I have only driven a car with PDCC and not without, I cant say for myself which I would pick. I have heard from several people that its great, and several others say the cars handling becomes a bit less predictable. I would also test drive two cars back to back (if possible) and see what you think.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:58 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

For the kind of driving you are suggesting PDCC is not going to make any difference - so my vote is definitely the PSE.
It sounds great. No, not annoying or overly loud "in your face" - just nice. Civilized but hitting all the right notes - and you can switch it off when you are done.

Rainier

Originally Posted by veilsideLGD
Hi Rennlist members!

I'm a new member on the forums and I am about ready to purchase my new 2013 Carrera S. Currently my setup is:

Carrera S
Black exterior w/ black interior
Black Leather Sports Seats Plus
PASM
Porsche Sports Exhaust
Ornament Crest for the wheels
PDK w/ Sport Chrono
Sport Design Steering wheel

I currently have the budget for this setup and I was wondering if I should swap the PSE for the PDCC? I am not going to take the vehicle to the track but I will be driving it spiritedly on the canyons. I've heard the sound clips and the PSE does sound more exhilarating with more burbles and crackles but is it really worth it compared to PDCC?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:23 AM
veilsideLGD
Intermediate

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test drive 991s with PDCC as none in their inventory stock at the dealership had that option. After more thinking, I think I will opt out of the PDCC. I also have a Boxster Spyder with a Fabspeed Race exhaust and it is really loud and sounds more like a cup car. I want the 911 to sound more aggressive but I don't want it to be as loud as the Spyder with the race exhaust. I'm going to check out the PSE again because the last time I heard the exhaust I was inside the cabin and I know the vehicle pipes in engine sound into the cabin. Has anyone on the forums changed their exhaust with an aftermarket one?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:01 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

I drove the 991S PASM with and without PDCC and the SPASM without.
Honest opinion: Non-PDCC for normal and spirited driving is just perfect. You may get some advantage out of PDCC when driving close to the limit during competitions but even those without are doing just fine. My personal favourite is the SPASM (without PDCC). The car just feels alive with this setup (best way I can put it).
PDCC also adds weight and significant complexity plus the power steering pump that was deleted due to the electric power assist steering is back. Select PDCC only if you are sure that you need it.

Rainier

Originally Posted by veilsideLGD
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test drive 991s with PDCC as none in their inventory stock at the dealership had that option. After more thinking, I think I will opt out of the PDCC. I also have a Boxster Spyder with a Fabspeed Race exhaust and it is really loud and sounds more like a cup car. I want the 911 to sound more aggressive but I don't want it to be as loud as the Spyder with the race exhaust. I'm going to check out the PSE again because the last time I heard the exhaust I was inside the cabin and I know the vehicle pipes in engine sound into the cabin. Has anyone on the forums changed their exhaust with an aftermarket one?

Last edited by Rainier_991; 09-12-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:21 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 312 Likes on 187 Posts

You could shave a second off your times going all out with PCDD in the situation you describe, or grin continuously all the time at the push of a button. Pick what floats your boat.

PS - apperently it is some sort of secret, but the Sport PASM suspension is a total bargain option for better feel and fuller weel wells.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Sidney1
Intermediate

... go for PSE ......

@chuckbdc

Did you ever drove a 997.1 with standard PASM ? Is SPASM in 991 more harsh or nearly equal ( both in comfort setting ) compared to 997.1?

Because I heard that 991 suspension is much better ( softer ) in 991 than in 997 ... maybe it is a "full step" - so that 997.1 PASM is the same as SPASM in 991 - isn´t it?

Best
Gregg
Old 09-12-2012, 12:20 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by Sidney1
... go for PSE ......

@chuckbdc

Did you ever drove a 997.1 with standard PASM ? Is SPASM in 991 more harsh or nearly equal ( both in comfort setting ) compared to 997.1?

Because I heard that 991 suspension is much better ( softer ) in 991 than in 997 ... maybe it is a "full step" - so that 997.1 PASM is the same as SPASM in 991 - isn´t it?

Best
Gregg
Greg- I had an 08 Boxter S RS-60 (PASM and lowered an additional 10mm). PASM was great- but the sport (harder rebound) setting was all but useless as it did not tolerate even mildly rough road or track surfaces. The 991 is a totally different story (as is the 981). PASM offers a very supple ride in normal setting or when stiffening up- by pressing the "sport" button (and I think faster if suspension sensors hit thresholds based on your driving). If you also have the sport chrono option, it all happens faster (and on the S it happens in conjunction with the dynamic engine mounts going "stiff") and is quite noticable in a good way.

Sport PASM (SPASM) is yet another option- 10 mm lower than PASM, with shorter stiffer springs and stiffer roll bars. That is what I have. It is far more supple than the 08 Boxter RS-60 setup, and usable in all of its settings even in normal driving. The difference is also obvious in terms of handling. That is why I recommend it.

I did not have a 997, but folks I know who do agree with my experience.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Sidney1
Intermediate

... hmmmm ... I had a 997.1 Cab with PASM .... I never used the PASM in stiff setting because it was much too stiff ( similar to your RS-60 ) ....

.... this is the reason why I never thought of SPASM on the 991 ... I like the lower stance very much ... but the fear of a unridable car even in soft SPASM mode was too big to order it yet ....

Thank you for your opinion .... it seems the soft SPASM setting on the 991 is nearly the same as the soft PASM setting on the 997.1 ( or RS-60 ) ..... right?

... and sorry for hijacking the thread a little .....

Gregg
Old 09-12-2012, 12:39 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 30 Posts

pse for sure. and spasm helps to make the car feel like it supposed to, a sports car. would not consider a 991 without it.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:34 PM
veilsideLGD
Intermediate

Thanks for the information everyone! It has been very helpful. I have ruled out the PDCC from my selection of options and now contemplating if I want to go aftermarket for the exhaust or not. Unfortunately, there are not many choices of aftermarket related options for the exhaust at the moment.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:00 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

PSE, no doubt.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:22 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by Sidney1
... hmmmm ... I had a 997.1 Cab with PASM .... I never used the PASM in stiff setting because it was much too stiff ( similar to your RS-60 ) ....

.... this is the reason why I never thought of SPASM on the 991 ... I like the lower stance very much ... but the fear of a unridable car even in soft SPASM mode was too big to order it yet ....

Thank you for your opinion .... it seems the soft SPASM setting on the 991 is nearly the same as the soft PASM setting on the 997.1 ( or RS-60 ) ..... right?

... and sorry for hijacking the thread a little .....

Gregg
Well not actually- the 991 suspension combined with the longer wheelbase is different altogether from the 997. It is far more supple and dynamically stable in addition to having higher limits. The ride feels"more comfortable" in any configuration that it is currently offered- so much so that some folks who don't , or for that matter don't care to, explore the car's capabilities pine for what they feel is the "sportier". That is a slightly rougher and more sudden feel of the 997 cars at slower speeds (or the much more sudden skill requiring and high involvement (and fun) dynamics of pre water-cooled 911s.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:02 PM
PVP2
AutoX

I have 2000 KMs on my cab with pdcc and without pse. I don't miss pse because the car sound great without it and whenever I can I have the top down anyway. The ride is great. I don't know if I would notice the difference in non-pdcc car, but pdcc is a performance difference so I would, and did, pick it over pse.

Quick Reply: If you had to pick one or the other...PSE or PDCC?