Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you had to pick one or the other...PSE or PDCC?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 PM
adave
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sounds like a nice build! i would go with PSE - it gets rave reviews by most.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're not going to the track, get the PSE.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:45 AM
littlej
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This car is built to recapture the best resale price, lol. I had exactly the same build, even the same color combo, maybe I also have the Porsche crest on headrest.

PDCC vs. PSE? In Walter Rohl's words: if you want to improve you Nurburgring lap time, go for the PDCC.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:14 AM
David in Talent
Racer

My choice: SPASM+ PSE + MT = JOY !!
Old 10-11-2012, 02:36 AM
Dag Johnsen
Instructor

Originally Posted by littlej
This car is built to recapture the best resale price, lol. I had exactly the same build, even the same color combo, maybe I also have the Porsche crest on headrest.

PDCC vs. PSE? In Walter Rohl's words: if you want to improve you Nurburgring lap time, go for the PDCC.
The crazy old man is right, you gotta be one hell of a driver to manage a car with PDCC around the Ring. Like riding a wild bull compard to Sports PASM. Propaganda bull****
Old 10-11-2012, 02:42 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I'd choose PSE. And if you can stretch your budget just a few hundred extra you could add SPASM and get much of the handling benefit (not to mention a lower more sporty look) that you would have gotten with PDCC. BTW, you won't regret your choice of PDK......
Old 10-11-2012, 02:48 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Dag, not sure which part of that you're serious and which is not. Only thing I can tell for sure, watching your 'ring video, you're a driver. So maybe you can clarify which is the propaganda BS? It almost sounds like you're saying PDCC may improve performance but it takes exceptional skill to make it work that well? Also my impression (from reading, haven't driven yet) has been that the benefit of PDCC is not intended to be entirely lap-time oriented, but also comfort or ride oriented, due to the fact that PDCC allows the same or less body roll from a softer anti-roll bar.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:40 AM
Dag Johnsen
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuck911
Dag, not sure which part of that you're serious and which is not. Only thing I can tell for sure, watching your 'ring video, you're a driver. So maybe you can clarify which is the propaganda BS? It almost sounds like you're saying PDCC may improve performance but it takes exceptional skill to make it work that well? Also my impression (from reading, haven't driven yet) has been that the benefit of PDCC is not intended to be entirely lap-time oriented, but also comfort or ride oriented, due to the fact that PDCC allows the same or less body roll from a softer anti-roll bar.
Hi Chuck,

you are right, and I am probably too narrow minded.

PDCC gives better comfort and ride. But since Porsche also states it will better a Ring time with 4 seconds, and Walter Röhrl says if you want to improve at the Ring, buy it, then it is a little misleading. If it takes racedriver skills to extract those 4 seconds, it would probably be a good thing to inform the consumers.
My friend has PDCC and he IS a racedriver, doing VLN races at the Ring. He also has a GT2RS. He is almost scared driving the PDCC car. Car twitches and behaves quite bad when pushing it. So bad that selling the car and buying one without PDCC is an option.
People go nuts when filling in the spec list when buing a Carrera S, and most people spend a small fortune on PDCC. Probably good for Porsche, but shouldnt they give much better information so people get the right product?

I really googled PDCC this winter before ordering a car, and managed to read between lines in those car tests that this was not for me. But most people do not manage to find out these things.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:00 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Originally Posted by Dag Johnsen
Hi Chuck,

you are right, and I am probably too narrow minded.

PDCC gives better comfort and ride. But since Porsche also states it will better a Ring time with 4 seconds, and Walter Röhrl says if you want to improve at the Ring, buy it, then it is a little misleading. If it takes racedriver skills to extract those 4 seconds, it would probably be a good thing to inform the consumers.
My friend has PDCC and he IS a racedriver, doing VLN races at the Ring. He also has a GT2RS. He is almost scared driving the PDCC car. Car twitches and behaves quite bad when pushing it. So bad that selling the car and buying one without PDCC is an option.
People go nuts when filling in the spec list when buing a Carrera S, and most people spend a small fortune on PDCC. Probably good for Porsche, but shouldnt they give much better information so people get the right product?

I really googled PDCC this winter before ordering a car, and managed to read between lines in those car tests that this was not for me. But most people do not manage to find out these things.
The way your pal's car rides when pushing on may not be down to the PDCC. Why should it be? Indeed, how could it be?

I expect your pal knows more about cars than I do but it sounds like it needs a proper geo done.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:11 AM
Dag Johnsen
Instructor

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
The way your pal's car rides when pushing on may not be down to the PDCC. Why should it be? Indeed, how could it be?

I expect your pal knows more about cars than I do but it sounds like it needs a proper geo done.
This is what sand8 said in another thread: "Yes, the PDCC will upset the car since it stiffen up during hard cornering. Together with a stiff shock setting, it will just make it worst (active/passive not working in sync). There should be another software update for PDCC in future, I think. #

This problem is known among Porsche test drivers by the way.

But could be the car can be bettered doing a proper geo.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:54 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

PDCC and chrono. You'll still be able to feel even when your tires go warm. Drive it hard and you will know where you stand with the machine. Claims that the ride is not communicative with driving aggressively are completely false. Don't end of with regrets the way a few good people did back in 2005 when PASM first entered the scene, speaking as a former 997 owner with PASM. My 991 has PDCC and it has at least two aspects to it. Yes, it's more comfortable when driving in traffic. It is the obverse when I'm free and clear from traffic to run wild in either Sport or Sport Plus settings and driving the car to its limits. Just sayin'.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:26 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 312 Likes on 187 Posts

Have a little Porsche suspension engineer sitting at the edge of your roll bar, aggressively, dynamically, and persistently adjusting it in real time to optimize tire contact as the car moves through the corner-- "a simple matter of programming" -- right? Having him explain what he is doing and getting the proper sympathetic response from the human "in real time" -- not so easy!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Dag Johnsen
Instructor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Upd03eZjzIo

Check out what they say between 8.20 and 8.50

Im sure this is not black and white, different people, different needs and taste
Old 10-11-2012, 10:09 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Insightful comments in that video, Dag. Great Spaghetti Western music at the end too!
Porsche technology is really so advanced they could write books about each option like PDCC. (PSE for that matter too.) Instead what you get is a couple sentences that in the case of PDCC boils down to hydraulic actuators reduce roll and improve ride comfort. That literally is about what their website says. Thanks for sharing this, really helps fill in the gaps.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:29 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dag Johnsen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Upd03eZjzIo

Check out what they say between 8.20 and 8.50

Im sure this is not black and white, different people, different needs and taste
Agree--seriously for once.

Quick Reply: If you had to pick one or the other...PSE or PDCC?