991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Age and Transmission Choice

Old 06-17-2012, 04:05 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't disagree on the traffic point, but mine isn't a DD. I drive a VW CC as my DD. Even it is overpowered for rush hour in Houston. . But it's cheap, comfortable, and I don't really care if anything bad happens to it.

I don't track but if I was a serious track person, I would get the PDK. Manual is perfect for my situation though.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:58 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I'm lucky enough to live in a small town that isn't a suburb of city. We have next to no traffic in town, and we're surrounded by rural areas and state forests. I have a 2 mile commute to my office, and when I'm not showing houses in my MKX, most of my day is spent driving here and there for other work related stuff (meeting home inspectors, going to closings, picking up documents, etc). A manual 991 is the perfect daily driver. Although, if anyone watches Modern Family, getting a for sale sign to fit in the car might be a bit tough. There's a episode where Phil buys a 911 and tries to justify it as a work car.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:29 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the topic of fun....

I have heard people refer to a perfect heel/toe on the track as comparable to a great drive off the tee (golf) or a great cross court backhand. Those are difficult to master and when your technique and the planets align, the satisfaction is off the charts.

With PDK on the track, while rev matching is taken no longer occupies part of your brain's computational power, weight transfer, turn in, track out and braking now can be done with increased concentration and focus. When those elements are done better and better, a similar sense of satisfaction can be had.

Fun is what you make it.
No?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 AM
HotLap
Racer

Originally Posted by clembo
I am 47 and went with the manual for my 991. I know that the PDK is a bit faster, but i like the invovement of a manual. I would recommend anyone stuck between the two to test drive the new PDK and manual. The new manual is much smoother than the manual in my 997.2, and combined with the 400hp, it is a real blast to drive.

I do not use my 911 as a daily driver, but will autocross and track it.

Skinzy - Next time I am in Knoxville I will let you drive my manual car, if you let me in on your AARP discounts for dinner - we can eat early
LOL, I'll take you up on that early dinner (if sknizy is treating that is) I prefer the MT and even had to order it on my 2008 535i as there were none available in the US at the time. My next two cars, a 2008 M3 Vert and 997.2 C2S Cab, were both MT's and I miss the driver involvement. The PDK is OK and the only time I drive it in auto mode is when it's cold and not shifting agressively anyway...but next car will go back to a MT for sure. The saving grace of the PDK (IMO) is the intelligence and integration of the PDK programming to the Sport/Sport Plus modes engine mapping etc., makes it interesting to drive and not just a modern day auto with useless paddle shifters. Porsche did a wonderful job with integrating the PDK software with the engine mapping, etc. Forgot to mention my age (that should tell you something) early 50's with no regrets!!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:59 AM
peterm
Racer

NY city metro - daily traffic -daily driver- anyone with a clutch pedal is a sadist- lets use the presence or absence of a third pedal as our definition of manual
Old 06-19-2012, 10:03 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts
Default not so much age as

I enjoyed manuals all my life- from my purchase of a "stir it til you find it" VW in 1967, to the slightly improved 914, similar 911s (74 and 78) and finally the perfection of a 2008 Boxter S 6 speed. But I found the performance and control of the PDK in the 991 sosuperior that I went for it in my Carrera S. At my age, I rationalize it (along with a growing list of things) as a function of wisdom rather than age!!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:50 PM
comis_hq
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
Mid 40's here, PDK for me. Disclosure (My 991 is manual)

^^Said that, I dont know what kind of skills are needed to drive a manual, here in South America grannys drive manuals. 95% of all cars are manual. No special macho skill is needed.
I suppose that being the opposite case in America where the majority of cars have slush boxes, If you own a manual, it will make you feel "special".
In South America, are all grannys able to drive manuals or those who drive cars, let alone manuals, there are grannys? In some countries, getting a driver's license is much harder than in the U.S. because they require the use of manual shifter. (Sorry mike in CA, no PDK allowed in the exam... )

Boys usually have no problem, but most girls fail multiple times and some give up, some don't even try.... all because of the damn clutch.

In the U.S., I think 95% cars are auto. So if you are driving manual and enjoying it, you ARE special.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by comis_hq
Sorry mike in CA, no PDK allowed in the exam...

Boys usually have no problem, but most girls fail multiple times and some give up, some don't even try.... all because of the damn clutch.
I learned on a manual and have driven them for over 45 years. I insisted both my son and daughter learn to drive with a clutch; I bought them manual VW's and taught them how to drive them. They each passed the driving test in their cars on the first try. I think your assumptions and generalizations need some fine tuning.

What was your point again?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:42 PM
comis_hq
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I learned on a manual and have driven them for over 45 years. I insisted both my son and daughter learn to drive with a clutch; I bought them manual VW's and taught them how to drive them. They each passed the driving test in their cars on the first try. I think your assumptions and generalizations need some fine tuning.

What was your point again?
Well, I passed driving test on the first try with my RX-7 manual that my father bought me, so did my girlfriend (then) with her manual BMW 3-series, but you know we should not generalize the ease of driving test in the U.S. or difficulty of using clutch with our very special experiences alone.....

What was your point to bring that up?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by comis_hq
What was your point to bring that up?
You referred to me specifically in your original post about how taking a driving test in SA with a PDK wouldn't be allowed, as if that was somehow meaningful, despite the fact that I never posted anything that would lead anyone to believe that learning to drive with a MT was unimportant or undesireable. So I gave you some background. Clear now? When you address someone by name, you can expect a response....
Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Mike I hope you like the auto when you get it. You can always dump it later and get a manual if you feel the need.

Had a friend today say after coming back from a trip to the Europe that he really missed driving stick. He grew up there and driving stick and couldn't believe how much he missed it and how much fun it was.

I think all the pdk's will make great spec race cars one day.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Mike I hope you like the auto when you get it. You can always dump it later and get a manual if you feel the need.

Had a friend today say after coming back from a trip to the Europe that he really missed driving stick. He grew up there and driving stick and couldn't believe how much he missed it and how much fun it was.

I think all the pdk's will make great spec race cars one day.
Jumper, I've always preferred manuals but PDK on the Carrera S has been great. It will be a hard decision on the 991 GT3; I'd like to get the choice right the first time. I hope Porsche gives me the opportunity to make one......
Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

It is probably a bit too soon to make this post, but after only a few hundred miles on my new 991C2S Cab with PDK here are my impressions. I put 17,000 miles on an 09' C2S Cab with PDK, but sold it over a year ago so my 66 yr old memory might cloud any real insight. The new software for PDK is noticeably better. The shifts are smoother and it seems generally more intuitive. If I leave it out of sport or sport plus with the shifter in auto (rarely), it drives like a Buick. Slow to take off from a stop, slow to respond to throttle. If you pick up the pace it learns how you are driving and actions become more crisp. The shifting with the paddles is the way most will drive the car unless one is droning on the interstate. I still just push the shifter over to auto when coming to a stop, rather than down shifting and then put it back in manual. I ordered the PDK on the 09' car because I figured if it was good enough for Formula 1, I'd give it a try. While I wasn't exactly disappointed with the earlier version, I am thrilled with the improvements made in the new trans. It is a real blast to drive, not as much fun as the 993tt but way more civilized.....why there's even a TV set in the dashboard.....Chris
Old 06-22-2012, 03:16 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I still just push the shifter over to auto when coming to a stop, rather than down shifting and then put it back in manual.
Why not just let it downshift itself in Manual when coming to a stop? Saves the push over to Auto and back.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:46 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

I push it over to auto because it seems smoother. I got into this habit with the 997....I will try not doing it and post my impressions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Age and Transmission Choice