Sponsored by:

Age and Transmission Choice

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 02:45 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
Mid 40's here, PDK for me. Disclosure (My 991 is manual)

^^Said that, I dont know what kind of skills are needed to drive a manual, here in South America grannys drive manuals. 95% of all cars are manual. No special macho skill is needed.
I suppose that being the opposite case in America where the majority of cars have slush boxes, If you own a manual, it will make you feel "special".
Where I grew up it was the same. Manual was the default on most cars. An automatic was something found only on the odd Mercedes, BMW, Jag etc. It makes this idea that somehow driving a manual is more masculine laughable, frankly.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:36 PM
chinole
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My early Pcars were all MT but after having lived and drove in this urban jungle for some 32 yrs, PDK cars are a welcome option.

Now if I'm to retire to a rural setting, MT will be the hands down choice...
Old 06-13-2012, 04:16 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by kbalch
Precisely this. For me, driving a sports and/or race car (or riding my motorcycles, or flying a warbird and/or homebuilt) is about feeling connected to the machine and the continual process of acquiring and refining the relevant skills to handle it masterfully.

I'm 46 (today, in fact) and I'll be ordering a MT C2S this summer... :-)

Ken
HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEN!!!
All the best!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:22 PM
kbalch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neanicu
HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEN!!!
All the best!
Thanks & much appreciated!

Ken
Old 06-13-2012, 04:31 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
Mid 40's here, PDK for me. Disclosure (My 991 is manual)

^^Said that, I dont know what kind of skills are needed to drive a manual, here in South America grannys drive manuals. 95% of all cars are manual. No special macho skill is needed.
I suppose that being the opposite case in America where the majority of cars have slush boxes, If you own a manual, it will make you feel "special".
Originally Posted by sapman
Where I grew up it was the same. Manual was the default on most cars. An automatic was something found only on the odd Mercedes, BMW, Jag etc. It makes this idea that somehow driving a manual is more masculine laughable, frankly.
I agree masculine is not correct. But it takes more skill and concentration for advanced driving. Yes anyone can slam gears and drive manual or casual go through gear changes but to do it with precision and quickness that performance driving requires like rev matching while down shifting, heel and toe downshifting all requires practice.

It doesn't take much to execute a money shift. I remember some Car expert doing that with a Carrera GT when it was first came out and blowing the engine. He probably been better of in a PDK.

The other thing about having a manual is your always thinking and become connected to the car. Monitoring the engine rpm and keeping that rpm in the correct range for maximum torque and performance. Your granny don't care about those things, they probably care more about keeping the engine rpm low to save on gas.

Other then the 2 foot in, most people who drive manual all there life wouldn't be able to slam on the brakes from high speed where the gear would be to high for speed when it has slowed down, would be able to get into a low gear to accelerate out of the way if needed while maneuvering out of a way of other vehicles and still under braking in an emergency. Unless someone works on advanced driving techniques the skill doesn't come naturally.

Someone can say they been driving manual for 30 years but what how does that even apply to the gearbox and clutch in today's 911. I would not even like driving some 30 year old gearbox, for me the 964 and later 911's have a perfect gearbox and clutch. I've been in other modern cars that are terrible not even close to as good as what I have in my 996 with ssk.

There are many good reasons why I can see people would want pdk.
Daily drives in bad stop and and go traffic.
Multi driver car needs and to be driven by someone who is unwilling to learn manual.
You may have more then one expensive sports car some are that are manual and PDK marketing has got you.
You can afford to change cars often and do not think of your car as something that your will own for a long term and want a change from manual.
Some people don't really care is just a status symbol.
I bet though there is a small percentage of people that what to race or be faster and know they can beat their track buddy if they stopped messing up gear shifts and could concentrate on just steering. Obviously people are not gonna admit lack of skill is why they prefer pdk and that is fine with me.

Personally me I could never spend that much money on a car and not get full involvement out of it. I can't afford to change my car that often. I don't drive in bad traffic. It's not the primary grocery getter and I practice my heel and toe and rematching all the time. The car is driven like it's on the track more then it's driven like a casual every day car. I also drive/race competitively virtually and all the cars are in manual with a flappy paddle gearbox. It's done out of necessity to be competitive, reduces mistakes but I don't find any joy or involvement from switching gears with it as I do with a manual gearbox. I admit if I were getting paid to race in real life I would choose PDK because I know I would be faster and make less mistakes.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm 62 and in 46 years of driving I'd only had MT's in my cars (as opposed to family's), mainly because they performed best. That changed with PDK and was the main reason I ordered it on my '09 C2S. That said, I also get why people like MT's. I'm on the wait list for a 991 GT3 and assuming a choice is available, I honestly haven't decided whether to go PDK or MT. I do know I'm not worried about driving a manual at my advanced age.

What I don't get is the "PDK isn't fun-doesn't allow me to be involved-doesn't give me control" argument; it makes me think people just haven't figured out how to use PDK properly. And the "it's not manly" argument is just ridiculous. If that's how one needs to prove himself a man, there are bigger issues in play than choice of transmission.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:08 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After rereading the entire thread, the only people who have brought up the issue of masculinity are the PDK drivers themselves. Not one of us gear rowers has brought up the topic of masculinity. Interesting.

I agree, that masculinity is not an issue in the choice of PDK or MT. If rowing gears doesn't enhance your driving satisfaction, the get the PDK. It is technically superior. If you appreciate the involvement of well executed upshifts and downshifts, then it's good Porsche still offers the MT.

There is no single answer that is right for everyone. Just what is right for each individual.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

61 and it all depends on the car.

Porsche 997 or the future day a 991 comes into my life MT
Volvo C30 Auto..why bother shifting, it's a Volvo
VW R 32..MT and hanging on to this one until my wife finally shames me out of it ( she suspects, but hasn't confirmed that I have no shame)
Wife's soon to be ordered '14 Cayman...PDK...if It was mine MT

I had the pleasure of driving a loaner Panamera for a few days and confirmed just how much fun it was to play with the PDK.....for the first hour.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
After rereading the entire thread, the only people who have brought up the issue of masculinity are the PDK drivers themselves. Not one of us gear rowers has brought up the topic of masculinity. Interesting.

I agree, that masculinity is not an issue in the choice of PDK or MT. If rowing gears doesn't enhance your driving satisfaction, the get the PDK. It is technically superior. If you appreciate the involvement of well executed upshifts and downshifts, then it's good Porsche still offers the MT.

There is no single answer that is right for everyone. Just what is right for each individual.
Not all that interesting, really. This isn't the only thread that has ever been posted on this subject. If you haven't seen the comments elsewhere associating PDK with (to name a few) latte drinking, posers, chicks, and masculinity (I just happened to read post #43 in the "PDK Woes" thread, this forum, for one example) then you haven't been paying attention.

What I do find interesting is your use of the phrase "us gear rowers", putting yourself somehow apart from someone who would own a PDK. Shifting is fun, but not inherently defining. We're all car and Porsche people and the choice of transmission is a minor divergence. If everyone really believed the bit about "what is right for each individual", the tone of these discussions about transmission choice would change.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 06-13-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:01 PM
7SPEED991
Track Day

33 Manual - I just like shifting gears
Old 06-13-2012, 06:11 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Since this started out like a survey on age related transmission choice. I am 38, purchased my first car at 18 and have never owned a manual, and never will. On the very rare occasion that I have driven manual I found it to be too much work and quite unnecessary. Surely, involving and engaging, but in my view negatively so.

But it is a subjective choice.
While some might find it mentally stimulating to do subtractions/additions/divisions etc. manually, I would rather use a calculator if the technology is available.

Having said that, if some one choses MT, I do not in the least bit feel envious that they are having fun with it, because I just don't want it. I don't resent their choice at all.

But any rational person should know that the manual cars are probably in their last generation by now so now would be last call to enjoy them while they are still available.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:44 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

60 and manual for me.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:39 PM
skinzy
Instructor

So much for my theory! Given the rennlist response I'm surprised they even make PDK?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:26 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm 55 and after 2 years in an Audi S5 Cab with dual-clutch tranny as my daily driver, I went with a 991 Carrera S with 7 speed MT as I missed a MT in my daily driver.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:28 PM
bspears
5th Gear

Originally Posted by shizzle
I'm in my mid-thirties and chose to go MT. It was a tough choice between the two (my M3 was a DCT and it was fantastic), but I figured if this might be the last generation of Porsche MT, I didn't want to pass it up.
I am considering the move from a DCT M3 E93 to a PDK 911S cab. Any thoughts on how the transition was for you? Are you missing your M3 at all?

Bob Spears

Quick Reply: Age and Transmission Choice