Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 v 997 FWIW

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:32 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey guys, no conspiracy in my absence, just a pile of work before the holiday. In any case I'll summarize my response to several posts. Yes, it cost me $$$ to trade out, but as someone observed, I do this more often than some, so it's as I said at the beginning, I just happen to enjoy the things that Porsche "fixed" in the 997 when it introduced the 991. Frankly, if I tracked more or needed to drive long distances, the 991 is the better choice. I posted here because I figured this group wouldn't be a bunch of 991 haters, but would have insights to this sort of thing. I suppose I just went back to a "classic" in the latest purchase, certainly wasn't a smart move economically.

Thanks for all of your comments.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Markusc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sign me up to the list of 991 buyers moving back to 997. I purchased a 991 conv and getting a 997 c4s

There is something missing in the 991 and can't put my finger on it. I think its a little bit of that raw drive feel. I can't seem to get a good porches ride or feel the car. It almost feels as if the car drives you vs you driving the car.

Going with the feel at this point.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:23 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Whats wrong with going for what lights your fire? I can understand the change totally. just to be helpful, anyone with a 997 Turbo S that needs to trade even up for a 991, pls get in touch.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:56 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by red route 1
Hey guys, no conspiracy in my absence, just a pile of work before the holiday. In any case I'll summarize my response to several posts. Yes, it cost me $$$ to trade out, but as someone observed, I do this more often than some, so it's as I said at the beginning, I just happen to enjoy the things that Porsche "fixed" in the 997 when it introduced the 991. Frankly, if I tracked more or needed to drive long distances, the 991 is the better choice. I posted here because I figured this group wouldn't be a bunch of 991 haters, but would have insights to this sort of thing. I suppose I just went back to a "classic" in the latest purchase, certainly wasn't a smart move economically.

Kudos! You did what was best for you. The hell with what every one else says.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:36 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
I would never go back, but I agree that all that matters is that you are thrilled with what you're driving.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:11 PM
max_racer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I concur. The 997 is a beast. Whereas the 991 is more a teddy bear.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
I wouldn't say "everyone else" says the 991 is better. I know I'd rather drive a 991 GT3 in some situations and a 997 GT3 RS in other conditions -- they're really just plain different cars in the consumer variants, but it's all been hashed out to the nth degree.

Originally Posted by max_racer
I concur. The 997 is a beast. Whereas the 991 is more a teddy bear.
Hardly a teddy bear, but I did see a 997 on the podium of a longish race over the weekend ... didn't see a 991 there ... : )
Old 05-19-2015, 03:52 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Markusc
Sign me up to the list of 991 buyers moving back to 997. I purchased a 991 conv and getting a 997 c4s

There is something missing in the 991 and can't put my finger on it. I think its a little bit of that raw drive feel. I can't seem to get a good porches ride or feel the car. It almost feels as if the car drives you vs you driving the car.

Going with the feel at this point.
There is definitely a difference in the "raw drive feel" department. Its been puzzling me as well, because while overall a great 911 it did leave me a bit underwhelmed.

One factor is throttle response. Even in Sport it just did not feel as direct and immediate as the 997 GTS or C4S. Perhaps with Sport Chrono this would go away, but the 997 C4S I drove didn't have that and yet it felt fine to me. Another thing, the combination of increased wheel base, track and wheel size with whatever they did with the new LSA suspension to improve ride and noise definitely does improve the ride and make the car quieter, but it also seems to make the ride quite a bit less visceral. I've always been just about the last guy to want a louder exhaust note, but the engine's so quiet it left me actually longing for PSE. And that is a first, let me tell you!

But what is really hard to explain is, these things seemed that way only when I was really paying attention to them. Many other times when I was just driving the car, not really focusing on any one thing, then it just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Not as raw as a 997. But impressively competent.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:12 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Old thread
Old 02-16-2016, 11:55 AM
JeanLouis33
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 91 Posts
Thumbs up

I've just traded my 2012 991 for a 2012 997 and thought others might be interested in the reasons.

I'll start by admitting that the 991 is a better car (where 'better' is of course subjective) if you:

1. want to use it as a daily driver. It feels bigger, more planted, the squirley steering feel at speed is gone, and let's face it, it's a modern car with modern amenitiies. Ventilated sport seats -- what a concept. Auto headlamps. Ditto. And the fit and finish is just better.

2. care about track times. The 991 C2S is faster, lacking the pucker factor in the hard turns. There is less body flex in the coupe. This car inspires confidence. I bet the 991 GT3 is going to be outstanding.

3. are tall. I'm not, but I can see that for taller drivers the 991 has better ergonomics.

Now there are some niggles with the 991. The PDK throttle blip on downshifts is cool at first, but it can wear on you. Overall the car has a much more muscular look that I like but the backend visually -- to me -- is too Aston like and I do not like Astons, I prefer the rounded-off Porsche tail. Lip not required.

But these are not the reasons I trade back to the 997 of which I have owned several.

What if you have another car to drive daily and what if you don't track your car? What if you only have an hour or so a week to get into a great sports car and toss it around a bit? What if the squirley steering and the pucker factor associated with the classic 991 are what you look forward to?

When I got back into the 997, I smiled all the way home. For me and my use, this is the better car.
Hi, Red Route 1, I have read your entry, and then read it again... and I do not really see one solid, objective argument (I was looking forward to seeing one).

Briefly, my story: I am in my sixties, currently on my 10th 911. In early 2015, I changed my 997 TT 3.6L manual for a 991 4S. 2 months later, a bad car crash (not with the 911) so as I expected to be out of action for a while, I sold the 991. Late 2015, feeling better, I got a 997 4S... but quickly changed it for the GT Silver 991 S that I now have.

Sorry about the long story... but I did do 997 / 991 / 997 / 991 in the space of 14 months, so you understand my interest for this thread.

I LOVED the 997, had four of them, but 991 is such a step forward, in so many ways, that she quickly erased the very real nostalgy I felt for 997.

997 is one of the very best 911s ever... but time moves on... just my opinion, of course... do enjoy your lovely 997 !
Old 02-17-2016, 06:58 AM
JeanLouis33
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 91 Posts

Tim the 997 is also a PDK. I've owned PDK's from 2009-2012 and they have gotten better -- other than the Turbo S variant the 991 PDK seems improved vs. earlier years.
AB-SO-LU-TE-LY I had several PDKs , in both 997 and 991, and there is NO question, the 991 version is much, much improved... if only much faster (so long as you let the gearbox warm up... in the first minutes, the 991 PDK reminds me of a 997 one).

But when it is warm, it is so good that I fail to feel a substantial difference in Sport, and even in Sport Plus modes...

Only the 991 PDK made me start to forget my beloved six-on-the-floor manual box.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:13 AM
gelat0
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I traded my 3.8 L, 997 4s, for a 991 base 3.2 L, and very happy with the 991 glad I did it in every way. I am sure the 997 4s would be better on the track, but for the road the 991 is clearly better for me in every aspect. Both cars are manual transmission cars, which for me is a must in a sports car.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:13 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
There is definitely a difference in the "raw drive feel" department. Its been puzzling me as well, because while overall a great 911 it did leave me a bit underwhelmed.

One factor is throttle response. Even in Sport it just did not feel as direct and immediate as the 997 GTS or C4S. Perhaps with Sport Chrono this would go away, but the 997 C4S I drove didn't have that and yet it felt fine to me. Another thing, the combination of increased wheel base, track and wheel size with whatever they did with the new LSA suspension to improve ride and noise definitely does improve the ride and make the car quieter, but it also seems to make the ride quite a bit less visceral. I've always been just about the last guy to want a louder exhaust note, but the engine's so quiet it left me actually longing for PSE. And that is a first, let me tell you!

But what is really hard to explain is, these things seemed that way only when I was really paying attention to them. Many other times when I was just driving the car, not really focusing on any one thing, then it just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Not as raw as a 997. But impressively competent.
After reading so many obnoxious 991.1 vs .2 arguments (can't we all just get along? Lol) I found this post to be a revelation. I have a feeling we will see the same comments about the 992 lol...
Old 12-22-2017, 11:36 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

A year or so ago, a friend of mine tossed me the keys to his 997.2S cab- 6spd MT. We went for a 50 mile drive, mix of highway and backroads. Long story is the 997.2 just rocks. I took to the car quickly and felt completely at home with it in a few miles. A bit down on power, but at the time my car was a V8 twin turbo Mercedes, so it's all relative. Love that car, but wanted the 991.2. Most people could never tell a 997 from a 991.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:46 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
A year or so ago, a friend of mine tossed me the keys to his 997.2S cab- 6spd MT. We went for a 50 mile drive, mix of highway and backroads. Long story is the 997.2 just rocks. I took to the car quickly and felt completely at home with it in a few miles. A bit down on power, but at the time my car was a V8 twin turbo Mercedes, so it's all relative. Love that car, but wanted the 991.2. Most people could never tell a 997 from a 991.
Truth!

I drove one at autocross earlier this season - what a blast to drive!

Quick Reply: 991 v 997 FWIW