Sponsored by:

991 v 997 FWIW

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How much did this stroke of brilliance cost you? I'll hang up and listen..
Old 05-24-2012, 01:02 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Abby Normal
Lol. The silence is deafening!
Old 05-24-2012, 01:12 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 225 Posts

Let the guy be. I'm sure he is getting flack about this, no matter why he did it. He shared this with us and I respect him for this.

All good in my book.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:20 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by os993
Let the guy be. I'm sure he is getting flack about this, no matter why he did it. He shared this with us and I respect him for this.

All good in my book.
No skin off my nose either.

But kinda odd why he felt obliged to share it with the 991 guys. Better reserved for the 997 guys when you look at it....it'd make em feel better.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:26 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think there's much of a follow-up to be expected. It's useful to hear a counterpoint opinion, but I don't think there's much further to debate. If the 991 was leased or Texas taxes are less criminal than California for example (I'm pretty sure they are) then the burn wouldn't be too horrific and with relatively few cars initially at dealers, it would be something a dealer would be confident to take into inventory, plus significant discounting of the 997, the cost to change horses wouldn't be outrageous.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:30 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Abby Normal
So it sounds like you work for a dealer. You have a few customers who come in and pay cash for a new car every year. Right?

They get the best deal you can give no matter what they buy because you want to keep them loyal.

Say one of them bought a 991. Drove it for a few hundred miles, brought it back, and wanted to trade it for another model. Would you put him over a barrel, or let him off easy?

It's a new in demand car that you could probably sell for what you sold it for originally, or more depending on the deal you gave him.

Some of us actually pay cash for our toys. I tend to keep mine for years, but I have friends that go through cars like my wife goes through shoes.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:13 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I don't think there's much of a follow-up to be expected. It's useful to hear a counterpoint opinion, but I don't think there's much further to debate. If the 991 was leased or Texas taxes are less criminal than California for example (I'm pretty sure they are) then the burn wouldn't be too horrific and with relatively few cars initially at dealers, it would be something a dealer would be confident to take into inventory, plus significant discounting of the 997, the cost to change horses wouldn't be outrageous.
I lived in Texas for many years and, unless the tax laws have changes in the last few years, you pay taxes only on the difference between the purchase price of the new car and price of the car you trade in. I would imagine that he came out slightly brused, but not beaten.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:39 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by gota911

I would imagine that he came out slightly brused, but not beaten.
I think we are all just speculating here boys. Shaken, not stirred...bruised but not beaten....whatever. Either way, my piece of speculation is there would be some remorse floating around in there somewhere. I can't imagine there would be too much rolling around the floor having fits of laughter after that little exercise. There is financial pain and then theres the psychological pain. Maybe why OP's gone under covers....altho what could one possibly add after doing something like that?

I wish him all the best.... best leave him be. God bless.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
So it sounds like you work for a dealer. You have a few customers who come in and pay cash for a new car every year. Right?

They get the best deal you can give no matter what they buy because you want to keep them loyal.

Say one of them bought a 991. Drove it for a few hundred miles, brought it back, and wanted to trade it for another model. Would you put him over a barrel, or let him off easy?

It's a new in demand car that you could probably sell for what you sold it for originally, or more depending on the deal you gave him.

Some of us actually pay cash for our toys. I tend to keep mine for years, but I have friends that go through cars like my wife goes through shoes.
Absolutely we would try to be fair with a regular who did this. But there is some self inflicted pain here that we can't save him from. It's a used car and along with that comes financing and leasing terms that are different than new and the warranty clock has started. Dealers have started selling their demo models so you have those 'used' prices to contend with too.

Sure we would do what we could to make the customer happy. There are just some things that are what they are because of it being used. So selling it for as much as first time around is a stretch.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:07 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
I think we are all just speculating here boys. Shaken, not stirred...bruised but not beaten....whatever. Either way, my piece of speculation is there would be some remorse floating around in there somewhere. I can't imagine there would be too much rolling around the floor having fits of laughter after that little exercise. There is financial pain and then theres the psychological pain. Maybe why OP's gone under covers....altho what could one possibly add after doing something like that?

I wish him all the best.... best leave him be. God bless.
My post was meant to help the OP, not jab him. If it didn't come off that way, then I didn't do a good enough job of conveying my sentiments.

I agree with what you said and I, too, wish him the best.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:27 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by gota911
My post was meant to help the OP, not jab him. If it didn't come off that way, then I didn't do a good enough job of conveying my sentiments.

I agree with what you said and I, too, wish him the best.
Sorry for any misundertanding.....no issues with your post at all. Just wanted to reference you're comment as a lead in. I guess what i was trying to say was it wouldn't have been any picnic for the poor guy having to hand back the keys to a brand new car like that least of all taking a hit of any nature. So, a beating of sorts would have gone without saying. I guess time heals all wounds as they say.
Anyway best of luck to him.

All's good.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:26 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No real argument with you Abby. I did say cash customer so no lease penalties.

Most of the guys I know who get a new car every year are cash buyers. Other than the capital they have tied up it generally costs them 10 to 15 grand per year depending in the car.

Back to my original point on utility. A few thousand isn't much to someone who can afford to keep 6 figures tied up in a weekend toy. Yes I'm just speculating about the OP. i dont really care and am not sure why i am still posting about this. this all started in response to someone's assumption that there was something fishy.

PS In Texas the sales tax is only on the difference between the price of the new car and trade in value of the old. Not really material to the decision.

Last edited by SSST; 05-25-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:37 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by SSST

i dont really care and am not sure why i am still posting about this. this all started in response to someone's assumption that there was something fishy.
Oh well. I guess that ones my fault SSST. Sorry. I didn't mean to wind you boys up. I mean posted up in the 991 section it bore all the hallmarks of an ambit thread. And, with not so much of a peep from the OP ever since, you gotta admit it has a strong smell of fish about it....well to me anyway.
I guess If had appeared on the 997 section i probably wouldn't had batted an eyelid.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:18 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm willing to bet he didn't sweat the 20k he lost, and having owned two 997s, and having driven the 991 I don't blame him. The 991 is objectively a better car in every measure, and far prettier too, but it isn't as fun to drive.

Hopefully the GT cars bring back the 911 experience.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
I'm willing to bet he didn't sweat the 20k he lost, and having owned two 997s, and having driven the 991 I don't blame him. The 991 is objectively a better car in every measure, and far prettier too, but it isn't as fun to drive.

Hopefully the GT cars bring back the 911 experience.
Then you agree with the poster it seems.

Fun to drive is a vague subjective quality... If we developed a fun to drive index, my rigs would lay out like this, ten being most fun. Of course, I have to divide rigs on two indexes based on length of trip.

Less than 200 miles

Scud 10
Strad 9.6
Gt3 997 8
997 turbo s cab 7
991 cab 7
1973 911s 9
Cobra 428 8

Malibu-Jackson wy run, or over 200 into 1000s of miles, including dirt and gravel

997 turbo s Cab ( will be replaced by 991 turbo s cab on launch) 10
991 s cab 9.6
Gt3 7
Scud 5
Strad 4
Cobra 0
73 s 4

fun in heart of partaker! Guys right for his self, nobody else

Quick Reply: 991 v 997 FWIW