Suspension Option questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:19 PM
TKO
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Suspension Option questions

Guys,

I was thinking of a lightly used 997 but now I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and just order a 991. My question to you all is how important do you think Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) and/or PASM sport suspension is?
My car will likely never see a track but I am a driving enthusiast. The 20mm lowered suspension will look great, but will it be too firm for street use? Anyone drive one with the Sport Suspension?

Also am thinking of the 5mm spacers. Is there any reason to order these over an aftermarket set of spacers?

Many thanks in advance,

Tom
Old 02-02-2012, 12:02 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

My 997.2 has sport PASM with the 20mm lowered suspension and it's not too harsh for the street, even with some of the rough roads around here. And everything I've read seems to indicate the 991 has a more compliant ride than the 997.2. So, while there's a lot of subjectivity around "too firm" and "too soft", I can't imagine a 991 with SPASM being too firm. As to PDCC, it's terrific on my Cayenne S. I doubt the improvement would be as noticeable on a Carrera, and I haven't driven one with PDCC (or at all), but if you forced me to decide yes or no right now, I'd probably go for it.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if there is any difference in the spring rates on the cars equipped with PDCC vs the cars equipped with PASM only? Since PDCC can effectively add spring rate to any corner, conceivably Porsche could run less aggressive springs and dampers for a more compliant ride without sacrificing handling.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:30 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

PDCC? I'd go for it. Why not? If you are throwing down for the latest and greatest then get the latest and greatest. Life is best lived all the way in, IMO. Engage!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:49 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PDCC is an expensive option and certainly not required on a 911, but if you have the budget for it, definitely go for it, it is cutting edge technology. I personally didn't order it coz I wanted to keep my price low, but in the end the decision was to spend money on either PDCC or PSE and I went with PSE based on porsche forum advice.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:15 AM
TKO
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 46 Posts

aamersa, did you order the PASM Sport Suspension (SPASM)? I also place a high priority on the PSE ....
Old 02-02-2012, 09:43 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

aamersa, did you order the PASM Sport Suspension (SPASM)? I also place a high priority on the PSE
No I did not order Spasm. My important items were pdk, sport chrono, pse & sport design steering. I figured the suspension in sport+ mode will be more than enough for me. But it is not a super expensive item, so no harm getting it if it appeals to you.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aamersa
No I did not order Spasm. My important items were pdk, sport chrono, pse & sport design steering. I figured the suspension in sport+ mode will be more than enough for me. But it is not a super expensive item, so no harm getting it if it appeals to you.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand it, sport+ mode will not affect the suspension settings unless you actually have PASM on the car.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:20 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelderek
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand it, sport+ mode will not affect the suspension settings unless you actually have PASM on the car.
I think thats right. thats the way it works on the 997 too. SC just adjusts throttle mapping, responsiveness and PDK behaviour. PASM or SPASM adjusts suspension.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:22 AM
jmm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove a 991 without PDDC and it rode better than a 997 and handled just as well. However, I ordered it on my 991 (not yet delivered).

As said above, it might allow the ride, usually stiffened to improve handling, to be more compliant when not cornering since the hydraulics can "stiffen up" the suspension in real time when called for.

Another thing you might not have thought of: the old, traditional way of improving handling also involved "spreading out" the tires at the bottom, especially the rear tires (technically caster, camber, toe-in, and toe-out tuning) to keep the tire contact wide in hard cornering. This meant that the tires were not as flat in normal driving. This contributes to slippage and rapid tire wear. With PDDC, this is not necessary. Perhaps the cost of PDDC can be justified with longer tire life. I'm kind of kidding here, but the possibility exists.

PASM lowers the car and, if I recall correctly, also slightly changes the bottom lip of the front spoiler. Lowering a car is not just for looks. It helps handling, especially at high speeds, and the new front spoiler acts in concert with the extended rear spoiler to make the car more stable above normal highway speeds. Do you need that?
Old 02-02-2012, 01:05 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

sport+ mode will not affect the suspension settings unless you actually have PASM on the car.
I believe PASM is standard on the 991S which lowers suspension by 10mm. The option being discussed is spasm which lowers suspension by a further 10mm, total 20mm.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aamersa
I believe PASM is standard on the 991S which lowers suspension by 10mm. The option being discussed is spasm which lowers suspension by a further 10mm, total 20mm.
Correct.
PASM is standard on 991S.

On the base 991, it's an option. The Sport+ mode available with Sport Chrono will trigger PASM, but of course only if it the car has it.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:32 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

all the cars with pasm look good to me, not as high as 997 models... S pasm i think woudl be perfect height for me but i hate that you have to jump to 20" wheels when ordering.. (on a base) and also have to add a few other options as well.. i wish i could "just" have S PASM without 20" wheels and PTV
Old 02-02-2012, 04:16 PM
19_hole
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mind having to get the 20" wheels (I added them anyway) I just don't think I need the PTV that they make you get to add the Sport PASM.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:27 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

i wish i could "just" have S PASM without 20" wheels and PTV
I just don't think I need the PTV
What's wrong with PTV ? It is a very handy item to have for hard cornering, also it includes the LSD which most regret not having.

Quick Reply: Suspension Option questions