Sponsored by:

991 GT3 info from the source!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Turbo4ever
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Either halfway through this year or next year Porsche will run a 9A1 variant in their race cars.
+1
Old 02-02-2011, 03:55 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 304 Posts

This is exactly what the motorsport guy said. Either this year (later) or beginning of next year the 9A1 will be run. It is (has) been undergoing internal testing for some time.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
... there's even enough clutch overlap to cause a noticeable torque acceleration on the upshift (deliberately designed into the PDK box to extract this advantage.) ...
I notice that all the time.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The 9A1 is modern, efficient, lightweight, less complex, and it promises to be powerful and robust. But it needs to be infused with some soul. That is my only concern.

And I don't mean just a flatulent exhaust.
Soul? Are we mystical here? The 9A1 is the first modern flat 6 engine in over 10 years and it is a great design. Of course, a racier version of that will come, with stronger materials (and its added cost) to withstand a higher redline and motorsport stresses. Note though that 9A1s are tracked routinely and they do great. There's even a 9A1 race car running somewhere on the East Coast.

The Mezger engine is an old engine, far more complex than today it needs to be, and when it fails (and it does fail) it is costly. People get all twisted in knots about it, but that's just nostalgia.

I am a hardcore 911 flat6 fan and I would never be happy with a V8 (out in the rear), and I was not happy with the transitional M96/M97 engine, but the 9A1 rocks. Does it have a soul? It is eager to rev and it is very elastic. Is that a soul?

P.S. - Here is an idea... we need to find the name of the 9A1 chief designer - no doubt a Weissach star - and then we found the 9A1's soul.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Turbo4ever
Racer

Originally Posted by ADias
Soul? Are we mystical here? The 9A1 is the first modern flat 6 engine in over 10 years and it is a great design. Of course, a racier version of that will come, with stronger materials (and its added cost) to withstand a higher redline and motorsport stresses. Note though that 9A1s are tracked routinely and they do great. There's even a 9A1 race car running somewhere on the East Coast.

The Mezger engine is an old engine, far more complex than today it needs to be, and when it fails (and it does fail) it is costly. People get all twisted in knots about it, but that's just nostalgia.

I am a hardcore 911 flat6 fan and I would never be happy with a V8 (out in the rear), and I was not happy with the transitional M96/M97 engine, but the 9A1 rocks. Does it have a soul? It is eager to rev and it is very elastic. Is that a soul?

P.S. - Here is an idea... we need to find the name of the 9A1 chief designer - no doubt a Weissach star - and then we found the 9A1's soul.
Well said, finally I sold my 997.2 GT3RS and I have no regard about that.

I am looking forward to my new 991 GT3 Clubsport.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:48 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Folks, don't be confused by Porsche about the 9A1 engine simplicity. PAG made it so (no true dry sump, integrated many parts, etc.) solely due to the cost saving of its side, not to the benefit of our - the customers' - side.

PAG does the cost saving yet increases the price of the car. As another forumer mentioned that a 9A1 GTS now cost almost as much as a GT3.

If we embrace this practice, Porsche will just be motivated to do more so down the road laughing to the bank.

Ask any Porsche mechanic, if a 9A1 engine has some moderate (or sometimes just minor) problem, the whole engine might need to be replaced because there might not be individual part made to be available or be designed to be repairable. A scary thought if it is out of warranty or not covered by warranty.

The Mezger engine, is highly rebuildable. Over the years, many of us have seen Porsche showcased in some autoshow that -- a single mechanic at the show booth, could disassemble the whole Mezger engine and reassemble it in front of the audience. That is valuable for any collectible or racing cars.

Make no mistake, I think the 9A1 engine is perfect for a road 911. However, until it won Le Mans over Ferrari, Corvette, etc.; the Mezger engien is still legendary at its level. And nowadays, the GT3 is something that moeny can buy (at a relative bargain, if I dare to say.)

Regards,

Last edited by axhoaxho; 02-02-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
...The Mezger engine, is highly rebuildable. Over the years, many of us have seen Porsche showcased in some autoshow that -- a single mechanic at the show booth, could disassemble the whole Mezger engine and reassemble it in front of the audience.
Why do you think a 9A1 engine could not be built by a single tech on a bench in front of an audience? Of course it can, and I bet it is easier to assemble than the Mezger engine. The Mezger engine assembly cost is what makes the engine expensive...

The only reason 9A1s are not repaired locally is that the engine is new and PAG always wants to take a look at a failed engine in the 1st few years of production. I suspect that soon we will see 9A1s being repaired locally if something goes bad.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,618 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Why do you think a 9A1 engine could not be built by a single tech on a bench in front of an audience? Of course it can, and I bet it is easier to assemble than the Mezger engine. The Mezger engine assembly cost is what makes the engine expensive...The only reason 9A1s are not repaired locally is that the engine is new and PAG always wants to take a look at a failed engine in the 1st few years of production. I suspect that soon we will see 9A1s being repaired locally if something goes bad.
eer ... I think the Ti components might actually be at the core of the engine cost not the assembly which is broadly equivalent in the time taken for it to be assembled on the engine line. Porsche factory engine technicians are expensive but they are not *THAT* expensive ...
Old 02-02-2011, 06:37 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
eer ... I think the Ti components might actually be at the core of the engine cost not the assembly which is broadly equivalent in the time taken for it to be assembled on the engine line. Porsche factory engine technicians are expensive but they are not *THAT* expensive ...
Larry: the better parts certainly add to the cost, but its assembly time has been written as a key cost. In any case, the 9A1 is easier to assemble.

I predict you will drive a 9A1 powered GT3 soon and will sing its praise.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:04 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you think a 9A1 engine could not be built by a single tech on a bench in front of an audience? Of course it can, and I bet it is easier to assemble than the Mezger engine. The Mezger engine assembly cost is what makes the engine expensive...

The only reason 9A1s are not repaired locally is that the engine is new and PAG always wants to take a look at a failed engine in the 1st few years of production. I suspect that soon we will see 9A1s being repaired locally if something goes bad.
A Porsche tech once told me that on the new engines, more and more parts are high-tech-ly bonded/fusioned/glued/etc. together to save cost and parts for manufacturing. Not something that he can use a set of Snap-On tools to disassemble/reassemble himself.

Regards,
Old 02-02-2011, 07:15 PM
demiruyar
Rennlist Member

Folks, don't be confused by Porsche about the 9A1 engine simplicity. PAG made it so (no true dry sump, integrated many parts, etc.) solely due to the cost saving of its side, not to the benefit of our - the customers' - side.

PAG does the cost saving yet increases the price of the car. As another forumer mentioned that a 9A1 GTS now cost almost as much as a GT3.

If we embrace this practice, Porsche will just be motivated to do more so down the road laughing to the bank.

Ask any Porsche mechanic, if a 9A1 engine has some moderate (or sometimes just minor) problem, the whole engine might need to be replaced because there might not be individual part made to be available or be designed to be repairable. A scary thought if it is out of warranty or not covered by warranty.

The Mezger engine, is highly rebuildable. Over the years, many of us have seen Porsche showcased in some autoshow that -- a single mechanic at the show booth, could disassemble the whole Mezger engine and reassemble it in front of the audience. That is valuable for any collectible or racing cars.

Make no mistake, I think the 9A1 engine is perfect for a road 911. However, until it won Le Mans over Ferrari, Corvette, etc.; the Mezger engien is still legendary at its level. And nowadays, the GT3 is something that moeny can buy (at a relative bargain, if I dare to say.)

Regards,
Well said! In my country I have noticed seeing 9A1 equipped porsche engines failing on a monthly basis.... Even the head service manager complanied about the reliability issues..

Mezger gt1 is a legendary engine. This is the reason why I went with the mk2 gt3.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Soul? Are we mystical here? Does it have a soul? It is eager to rev and it is very elastic. Is that a soul?
No is the answer. If you do not understand what I am referring to, you need to spend some time in a GT1-powered car. If you have, and still don't know what I am referring to, then you don't and won't get it. I do not disagree that the Mezger is at its prime and ready for replacement; it is not a "nostalgia" issue for me.

I wound my 9A1 to redline a few times on the way to work this morning. Yes, it revs freely and smoothly. But so does a Lexus motor.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,618 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Larry: the better parts certainly add to the cost, but its assembly time has been written as a key cost. In any case, the 9A1 is easier to assemble.

I predict you will drive a 9A1 powered GT3 soon and will sing its praise.
Take the factory tour, the GT1 and 9A1 engine assy lines are next to each other in Zuffenhausen, the time taken to assy either engine is "approximately" the same, the difference is measured in minutes, not hours or days, Germany hourly labour rates are good, but they are not that good ...
Old 02-02-2011, 08:45 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

A Porsche tech once told me that on the new engines, more and more parts are high-tech-ly bonded/fusioned/glued/etc. together to save cost and parts for manufacturing. Not something that he can use a set of Snap-On tools to disassemble/reassemble himself.

Regards,
From an engineering perspective I see nothing wrong about the use of high tech adhesives in the assembly of modern engines, especially if they are mounted on street cars. Those engines should last 200k miles. If those methods do not make sense on engines destined to be rebuilt every 100 hours, I imagine that those procedures will change when a 9A1 motorsports version is released.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:46 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Take the factory tour, the GT1 and 9A1 engine assy lines are next to each other in Zuffenhausen, the time taken to assy either engine is "approximately" the same, the difference is measured in minutes, not hours or days, Germany hourly labour rates are good, but they are not that good ...
Perhaps they have streamlined the GT1 assembly. It is well documented that that engine used to take many assembly hours.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 info from the source!