Sponsored by:

Sports chrono

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 10:02 PM
Sk7499
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sports chrono

Hello I'm new just bought a 2019 991.2 I have the not s version long story short I like the sports Chrono I bought and installed one the clock works. My question is there a way to enable the sports Chrono so it fully works I hear u can enable it in PIWIS software via air con settings. Any idea is this possible is it hard to do thanks
Old 03-12-2024, 02:53 PM
sbrooks64
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

following
Old 03-12-2024, 04:19 PM
911x2pilot
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

These aren't directly on point for the 991.2, but you can see from these workshop instructions what the general workflow is to getting sport chrono fully added and activated. It does require access to a PIWIS.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165173-9999.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...37402-0001.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165171-9999.pdf

Last edited by 911x2pilot; 03-12-2024 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:13 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 69 Posts

Here's another link to someone that was able to add it using PIWIS. I plan to tackle this at some point on my 991.1S as well. Where did you buy your SC clock? Did you get original or one of the kits they sell on ebay and amazon? If so how as the quality?

https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...ware-side.html
Old 03-12-2024, 06:05 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Long story short, i've only heard of 1 person be successful doing a sports chrono retrofit on a 991 but they didn't post proof either. I've tried unsuccessfully using an activation code with a friend (former master tech at Porsche dealer) who has a PIWIS 2 with engineering mode enabled. I've seen some success in the 981 Cayman/Boxster, but even then some people follow the steps to a tee and they're unable to unlock sports plus. At some point leading up to the sport plus recall, Porsche really locked down these cars and does not want people retrofitting this kit to 991's.

One of us will have to be a guinea pig and buy this chinese workaround and see if it works:
https://autosvs.com/sport-chrono-for...ayman-981-991/

Last edited by mwjackson92; 03-12-2024 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:11 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

See Below:

Last edited by mwjackson92; 03-12-2024 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Duplicate Post
Old 03-12-2024, 06:12 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Originally Posted by joserpaq
Here's another link to someone that was able to add it using PIWIS. I plan to tackle this at some point on my 991.1S as well. Where did you buy your SC clock? Did you get original or one of the kits they sell on ebay and amazon? If so how as the quality?

https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...ware-side.html
You are better buying the sports chrono clock off ebay, and you can buy the dashboard hardware from dealer. For the clock, I bought an identical looking clock from a 2011 Panamera and it worked just fine. So I suspect you could buy one from a Boxster/Cayman as well, since all those are cheaper than the 991 part # unit (the clock is identical besides the SN).

This video has a parts list in the description for what you need. You'll still need some hardware store screws/nuts to keep the clock attached to the dashboard piece which were not included with mine:

I personally don't recommend the Amazon/Ali Express unit because the backlight is ridiculously bright and cannot be adjusted. If you're someone who likes OEM look, it'll drive you crazy.

As for the 991 SC retrofit, definitely do some digging. The 981 process doesn't seem to work on the 991's, but would love to be proven wrong.

Last edited by mwjackson92; 03-12-2024 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:13 PM
McKlyde
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm working on this. There's a few clues in the instrument cluster to enabling it but I don't have a wheel w/ sport chrono yet. I'm confident that these coding steps will activate sport chrono but it won't activate sport plus. I can press the sport mode button and it will show the sport chrono wheel on the instrument cluster.
Somewhere in the modules there are references to activating sport plus but I haven't found that yet. My next steps now is activating FEC code on the PCM. I'm hoping that will activate it.
The following users liked this post:
joserpaq (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 12:45 AM
Sk7499
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone ill keep digging I have the sports Chrono off of ebay it looks oem haven't plugged it in they send the wrong harness. If the led it to bright I'llput in a resister to dim it a bit. I'll report back if I mess with programming
Old 03-13-2024, 08:31 AM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sk7499
Thanks everyone ill keep digging I have the sports Chrono off of ebay it looks oem haven't plugged it in they send the wrong harness. If the led it to bright I'llput in a resister to dim it a bit. I'll report back if I mess with programming
Please let us know how it goes. I'm not sure about turning on sports+ but from what I've seen on thinkdiag you may be able to code the stopwatch/chrono options once you've added the clock.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:51 AM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 295 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by mwjackson92
Long story short, i've only heard of 1 person be successful doing a sports chrono retrofit on a 991 but they didn't post proof either. I've tried unsuccessfully using an activation code with a friend (former master tech at Porsche dealer) who has a PIWIS 2 with engineering mode enabled. I've seen some success in the 981 Cayman/Boxster, but even then some people follow the steps to a tee and they're unable to unlock sports plus. At some point leading up to the sport plus recall, Porsche really locked down these cars and does not want people retrofitting this kit to 991's.

One of us will have to be a guinea pig and buy this chinese workaround and see if it works:
https://autosvs.com/sport-chrono-for...ayman-981-991/
I belong to the 981 Cayman group that have installed the Sports Chrono clock (works without coding)and activated G-force reading with PIWIS2. I even purchased the hacked 16 digit code specific to my vin and activated the SC timing functions in the PCM3.1 and installed and successfully assigned the Sport Plus button in the console. I ran into the same stumbling block that most have and could not make the ACTIVE turn on for sports plus in the air con module while in engineering mode. We all followed step by step the post by @Visual who was successful and documented his SC activation. Two other 981 owners were successful in activating the fully functional sports plus. All three had early build dates of 4/13 or 3/13. Mine is a 1/14 build date and the other unsuccessful attempts were on later than mid 2013 build dates. I realize this is a small test sample but my theory is that later than 4/13 build dates may have the SC activation lock out??? YMMV and would be interested in hearing from anyone with a 991.1 or 981 with a successful SC activation to provide their build date.

And I have considered the above Autosvs kit but didn’t want to be the guinea pig and still was hoping someone would solve the mystery of SC activation.
Jim
Old 03-14-2024, 01:45 AM
McKlyde
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Jim,

I've been digging into this fiasco for a quite a couple hours now and I do believe the BKE version is the issue. From version 2.1 - 2.3 Sport plus codable, then for 2.4 it is no longer codable.
Does your 981 have the 2.4 BKE version?
With how it is now I think there's a few possibilities but will take a while since money is an obstacle here lol
  • Both Instrument Cluster & BKE can send a Sport Plus command - This means if I get Sport Chrono wheel, I'm likely able to trigger Sport Plus. Assuming this is the case.
    • Looking at the function flow (very old from .1 models) the BKE sends the sport+ signal to turn on, the rest of the system receives that signal, then the module that can accept sport plus & will relay with sport+ is ON signal then the center console buttons light up. I don't see the reason why the ****/instrument cluster/klsm can't send that message, the **** already does that.
  • Instrument Cluster sends BKE the Sport Plus command - Honestly SOL here.
    • Flash with binary. idk how to do this, I tried to change the MCR no luck there
    • Get an older AC unit. Probably works only for 9x1.1, not for .2

Last edited by McKlyde; 03-14-2024 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-14-2024, 12:03 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi folks...

I've been fighting the same issues for the past couple of years now and have added various notes to different threads.

What I can confirm is that I have tried different A/C ('BKE') units in my 2014 Cayman S, including the current one which came from a vehicle with verified Sport Plus active... yet I still cannot get SP+ to activate. My PCM 3.1, the Dash Clock, and the Cluster are all working in unison and accepted the Sports Chrono code without problems; I also have the SP+ successfully coded into the pushbutton panel but it simply will not activate in PIWIS

For info. I have also reviewed VAL files shared by others with active SP+, however I cannot find any noticeable differences in either settings or SW / FW & HW settings.

Here are some selected lines from my VAL (pulled via PIWIS)...

I am also starting to mess around with the LINBus, which is the data bus Porsche uses for communication between the KeyPad, the BKE Control, and for transporting the Sport and Sport Plus commands to the various vehicle control units. The blockage seems to be that the BKE refuses to let the command through from the KeyPad... but why; who knows?

I suspect the module from China that Jim refers to in one of the messages above, somehow bypasses the BKE, and when the SP+ is pressed it strips off the 'Sport' Command on the main vehicle bus coming from the BKE and replaces it with the 'Sport Plus' command. Unfortunately I am not smart enough to figure this one out yet. However from talking with someone else who's experimented with LINBus, you simply cannot just inject the Sport Plus command onto the main Bus.

I am willing to try this module but not at $1,300; however, I have tried fruitlessly to negotiate with the seller. HIS loss. I suspect several of us might be wiling to give it a try for half of that. I am hoping I can eventually figure out an alternative solution for a lot less!!
The following users liked this post:
Jim981CS (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 01:35 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rob's-981S
Hi folks...

I've been fighting the same issues for the past couple of years now and have added various notes to different threads.

What I can confirm is that I have tried different A/C ('BKE') units in my 2014 Cayman S, including the current one which came from a vehicle with verified Sport Plus active... yet I still cannot get SP+ to activate. My PCM 3.1, the Dash Clock, and the Cluster are all working in unison and accepted the Sports Chrono code without problems; I also have the SP+ successfully coded into the pushbutton panel but it simply will not activate in PIWIS

For info. I have also reviewed VAL files shared by others with active SP+, however I cannot find any noticeable differences in either settings or SW / FW & HW settings.

Here are some selected lines from my VAL (pulled via PIWIS)...

I am also starting to mess around with the LINBus, which is the data bus Porsche uses for communication between the KeyPad, the BKE Control, and for transporting the Sport and Sport Plus commands to the various vehicle control units. The blockage seems to be that the BKE refuses to let the command through from the KeyPad... but why; who knows?

I suspect the module from China that Jim refers to in one of the messages above, somehow bypasses the BKE, and when the SP+ is pressed it strips off the 'Sport' Command on the main vehicle bus coming from the BKE and replaces it with the 'Sport Plus' command. Unfortunately I am not smart enough to figure this one out yet. However from talking with someone else who's experimented with LINBus, you simply cannot just inject the Sport Plus command onto the main Bus.

I am willing to try this module but not at $1,300; however, I have tried fruitlessly to negotiate with the seller. HIS loss. I suspect several of us might be wiling to give it a try for half of that. I am hoping I can eventually figure out an alternative solution for a lot less!!
I think i'll email Autosvs and see if they'd consider a group buy. I agree many would be interested, but not at $1300 with no proven installations yet.
Old 03-14-2024, 01:39 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mwjackson92
I think i'll email Autosvs and see if they'd consider a group buy. I agree many would be interested, but not at $1300 with no proven installations yet.
I might be interested as well. Are we clear on what would be required to active SC with S+ aside from buying the solution from Autosvs? What esle would be needed to complete the upgrade?

Quick Reply: Sports chrono