Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sports chrono

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2024 | 09:17 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sport Plus parts are starting to arrive—AutoSVS module, code, and SC clock are delivered. The module matches the website photos exactly, and the instructions are as mentioned above. No coding instructions are included. You can opt for remote coding via PIWIS for $100, but I'd like to learn by doing it myself. Still waiting on the wiring harness and dash cover.

I’ve reviewed the PIWIS coding steps @Visual shared. Everything looks clear until the automatic coding of all control units and the final steps in German. I plan to stop there and assess what’s working before continuing.

Any advice or cautions?

Thanks,
Hank
Old 09-13-2024 | 06:40 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update on the AutoSVS Sport Chrono Installation

I wanted to follow up on my previous post regarding the AutoSVS module for Sport Chrono. The kit provides everything you need to activate Sport Chrono, as long as you're able to navigate the PIWIS programming, or know someone who can assist. Big thanks to @Visual for the programming documentation, which was essential to my success.

Programming with PIWIS:

As a complete novice to PIWIS, I was still able to get through the process. The activation code for the module is in the format: `xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx`. You enter this code, save it, and then PIWIS asks for the code to be entered a second time. I applied this under the Air Conditioning module, and after correct entry, PIWIS displayed the status as "Active."

@Visual also shared that the PCM module needs coding using the same activation code. There's a field for Sport Chrono in the PCM that requests an activation code. I tried both formats (`0xXX XX ..` and `XX XX ..`), but without success. However, even with that issue, I was able to get the Chrono timer and G-force display on the MFD.

Sport Plus Key Programming:

Installing the new Sport Plus key was straightforward. Once again, @Visual 's instructions on programming the keypad were easy to follow and worked the first time.

Installation Notes:

If it weren't for the number of connections behind the PCM and the limited space you have to work with, the process would be relatively simple. Removing the AC panel (required to install the AutoSVS module) is easy. I used a dental pick tool to help remove the four connectors from the existing harness and plug them into the supplied AutoSVS plug. There’s plenty of space under the center console to mount the small AutoSVS box.

While I was in there, I also spliced in a Sport Chrono clock. I’m not a fan of this method, but as others have found, you do need to extend the cables when using the Cayman Chrono Clock harness. I picked up a used trim piece from eBay, but it was cracked, so I'll be replacing it with a new one. The clock I received also had a loose hour hand, so I carefully removed both hands, set the clock to 12:00, reattached them, and everything works fine now.

Final PIWIS Step – Automatic Coding:

The last part of @Visual 's guide involves automatic coding of all modules. If you’ve never done this before, it can be alarming, as all of the warnings light up on the dash. After the coding process, I had messages like "No tire pressure monitoring system is learning" and "Engine control fault Consult a workshop Driving Permitted." Thankfully, a quick drive around the block resolved both.

Conclusion:

Overall, the AutoSVS kit is easy to install and works as expected. It would be helpful if they included programming instructions, but thanks to the excellent reference available here, I was able to get it done. I’ll post any further updates or discoveries as I continue testing.

Thanks,
Hank
The following 2 users liked this post by Hank Cohn:
Jim981CS (09-13-2024), McKlyde (09-13-2024)
Old 09-13-2024 | 08:47 PM
McKlyde
Rennlist Member

Congrats Hank!

There are two activation codes one for the AC unit and one for the PCM. They're completely different. What most online sellers do is sell the "Sport Chrono" activation code for the PCM hence why some folks here have not been able to activate the sport plus button.
Old 09-13-2024 | 10:28 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Originally Posted by McKlyde
Congrats Hank!

There are two activation codes one for the AC unit and one for the PCM. They're completely different. What most online sellers do is sell the "Sport Chrono" activation code for the PCM hence why some folks here have not been able to activate the sport plus button.
It is my understand @Visual and @nhnguy12 and others with earlier 2013 build dates that were successful in activating Sports Plus with PIWIS used the same 16 digit code for both the AC module and the PCM.
Jim

Last edited by Jim981CS; 09-13-2024 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2024 | 10:54 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

What specific functionality does the Sport Chrono coding activate within the PCM? I attempted to use the same code on my car, but it didn’t work, likely due to the introduction of a non-Porsche module for enabling Sport Plus.

Old 09-14-2024 | 11:05 AM
Jim981CS
Pro

Originally Posted by Hank Cohn
What specific functionality does the Sport Chrono coding activate within the PCM? I attempted to use the same code on my car, but it didn’t work, likely due to the introduction of a non-Porsche module for enabling Sport Plus.

I followed @Visual ’s two threads and first installed the SC dash timer/clock and then attempted to activate the SC function with my PIWIS2. My purchased code was successful in activating the SC functions in the PCM but not in activating the newly installed SPORTS PLUS button☹️. I have the latter 1/14 build date. The SC function on the PCM activates the timing function of the SC clock and also uses GPS to plot your course on the PCM screen and can keep track of your lap times and can be downloaded on a thumb drive. IIRC race tracks are also preprogrammed into the PCM. I also was able to activate G force display but I think that’s possible without the purchased code. There are two Porsche options for SPORTS CHRONO, option 639 is for cars without PCM and option 640 is for cars with PCM, so make sure you use the 640 option when attempting to activate the PCM function.
Jim
Old 09-14-2024 | 01:29 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

@Jim981CS , Thank you for the detailed explanation. As you mentioned, I noticed some overlap between the two codes. After activating 640, I was able to select both the Chrono (timing) and G-force options in my MFD. When selected, the stopwatch starts and stops as expected, and the G-force meter functions when active. However, I didn’t find any other features like track mapping (GPS) in the PCM. If the additional features are only $100 for another code, I might consider pursuing that. Thanks again for your insights!

One interesting aspect of my experience activating the codes was the tool setup. Initially, I built a PIWIS II using the VirtualBox VM that’s been circulating online, and I bought the hardware from a known eastern source. Since I work in the banking industry, I have access to older PCs and laptops, some of which are quite dated. After trying out a few, I eventually found the right combination of hardware and operating system that allowed the VM to run at full speed.

However, I felt like this setup was a bit questionable, so I decided to invest in a PIWIS III solution (laptop, software & interface), again from a 'reputable' eastern source. I started the project with this new tool, but kept encountering a Java error during VAL file creation, which stopped me from finishing the process. As a result, I switched to my original PIWIS II setup, and everything worked smoothly from that point on.

The takeaway here is that the PIWIS II VM is a solid and trustworthy solution for this job. Mine ran for 3 hours or more as I carefully followed @Visual 's instructions.

Thank you again,
Hank
The following users liked this post:
Jim981CS (09-14-2024)
Old 09-29-2024 | 04:12 PM
McKlyde
Rennlist Member

Finally took the time today to sniff the function enablement part of PIWIS.

My theory is that diagnostics (piwis function activation) -> gateway -> (sends request) -> AC Response with config data.
What I've found so far is that indeed the gateway does send the activation code to the AC which then in turns responds with configuration data. I'm guessing this config data goes back to the gateway for configuration.
The first 3 bytes are unknown to me, and they don't look like anything but the last 5 bytes do look like config data. I confirmed this as the canbus IDs are 0x7xx and the other 0x7xx IDs returned with what looks like AA (1000 in bin) for the last 5 bytes.

I think what AutoSVS is doing is simply modifying this config data in flight to the gateway. I believe this config data only really gets read during the function activation (we'll see because I don't have sport plus so I can't confirm!). I did take a look at my previous recording of just clicking the sport mode button and it did not request for 0x7xx IDs.

My next step now is to simply disconnect the AC, and act as the "AC" and reply with random config data to see and see the "Sport Chrono Activation" is enabled.

Some images:
My bogus 0A 0B activation code

My config data:

The first 3 changes. Seems to be based on command/situation/packet#.
First hex code seems to be the function.
Second hex code is packet # (seems to be default to two)
7E seems to be some sort of acknowledge. I have seen these in other 0x7xx packets.
Data starts at D0 and ends with 4B.

Edit: The protocol is UDS, current login seed/key is unknown. But I remember somewhere along the PIWIS it's stored somewhere. If anyone knows the algorithm and key that would be awesome

Last edited by McKlyde; 09-29-2024 at 09:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by McKlyde:
softsand (Yesterday), vandrii (10-08-2024)
Old 10-08-2024 | 03:17 PM
vandrii
1st Gear

Nice finds, McKlyde! Your findings and the confirmation of the AutoSVS kit actually working really make me think that this community is getting closer to unlocking Sport Plus without having to deal with Chinese or r*****n vendors.
The following users liked this post:
softsand (10-09-2024)
Old Yesterday | 10:00 AM
softsand
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vandrii
Nice finds, McKlyde! Your findings and the confirmation of the AutoSVS kit actually working really make me think that this community is getting closer to unlocking Sport Plus without having to deal with Chinese or r*****n vendors.
Crossing my fingers. Any updates anyone ?

Quick Reply: Sports chrono