Sponsored by:

Sports chrono

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 06:35 PM
McKlyde
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sk7499
Going to bring this back to life. So if I buy an after market s button for the steering wheell will I be able to add it or do I need the steering wheel to be new.

Second item I see some luck of enabling this with x431 bidirectional scanner I'm willing to try it. Need response to steering switch
At the moment from what I gather the gateway is responsible for changing the driver profile (sport, sportplus, individual). From what I've seen in PIWIS and reverse engineering it, there are FECs that are available in the gateway that you need to activate. Driving profiles, LKAS, innodrive, matrix beam, etc... are all function codes that are part of this gateway. What I did not see however is that Sport plus driving profile FEC for the gateway. I did see codes for driver profile enable, and driver profiles 1,2,3... which I think might be a copy paste from VW. I'm thinking that this is already activated and that the MIB2 FEC is for the software (sport chrono), and the AC FEC is for allowing the button to be pressed. The other module that requires function activation is the KLSM (steering wheel) module. This module only supports activation for Cruise Control, Multi-function, Steering wheel heat, and on-board computer.

With that said, I do think that adding in the steering wheel **** switcher would likely be able to activate sport plus for the .2 models. For my bare .2 steering wheel I'd need a new harness, bottom module, trim, and **** to try it out. I'm still looking for those parts, but I also want heated steering wheel so might take a while to find em. Another alternative would be to just buy a new steering wheel straight out, but that doesn't seem wise as that costs too much money for just a simple ****.
Old 06-16-2024, 06:15 PM
Sk7499
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by McKlyde
At the moment from what I gather the gateway is responsible for changing the driver profile (sport, sportplus, individual). From what I've seen in PIWIS and reverse engineering it, there are FECs that are available in the gateway that you need to activate. Driving profiles, LKAS, innodrive, matrix beam, etc... are all function codes that are part of this gateway. What I did not see however is that Sport plus driving profile FEC for the gateway. I did see codes for driver profile enable, and driver profiles 1,2,3... which I think might be a copy paste from VW. I'm thinking that this is already activated and that the MIB2 FEC is for the software (sport chrono), and the AC FEC is for allowing the button to be pressed. The other module that requires function activation is the KLSM (steering wheel) module. This module only supports activation for Cruise Control, Multi-function, Steering wheel heat, and on-board computer.

With that said, I do think that adding in the steering wheel **** switcher would likely be able to activate sport plus for the .2 models. For my bare .2 steering wheel I'd need a new harness, bottom module, trim, and **** to try it out. I'm still looking for those parts, but I also want heated steering wheel so might take a while to find em. Another alternative would be to just buy a new steering wheel straight out, but that doesn't seem wise as that costs too much money for just a simple ****.
My steering wheel has all options including heated steering I see on ebay they sell the sport plus button for 100 bucks for the steering wheel I thought maybe I can add it and connect it to an existing connector and then try to program it. I have a sports button no sports plus next to my gear shifter.

Any thoughts. Or is a new steering wheel needing was hoping I can retrofit it into my wheel

I saw someone enable sports plus in the suv with an x431 bidirectional scan tool maybe it's possible without the activation key
Old 06-16-2024, 06:20 PM
Sk7499
Intermediate

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27463586077...Bk9SR5ya066EZA
Old 06-16-2024, 07:01 PM
McKlyde
Track Day

If you want to test it out you can! You seem to have the proper modules already in place (I don't). I've never seen a MFL, heated and no sport chrono steering wheel module, so I'm assuming you have the plug in the module to plug in the sport chrono ****.

I think my only main concern, and I'm afraid might be the case is that "Sport Chrono activated" signal that the AC module sends out. There's a reason why the chinese folks have built a module that inserts itself between the CAN network and the AC module. Perhaps to do a MITM attack and resend the message with "Sport chrono activated" so that when it sends the sport plus signal, the gateway sees that sport chrono activated = yes, it changes the profile to sport plus.

As far as the chinese module is concerned. It's probably just a CAN filter module similar to mileage blockers, but just adds that sport chrono activated code. Likely the PIWIS3 activation stuff they do is just to make sure no one steals it lol
Old 06-17-2024, 08:02 PM
Sk7499
Intermediate

Default Extra module

Thinking of buying one of these anyone know does it need be programmed maybe this would make it work

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27471455642...&segname=11051
Old 06-17-2024, 08:02 PM
Sk7499
Intermediate

If you want to test it out you can! You seem to have the proper modules already in place (I don't). I've never seen a MFL, heated and no sport chrono steering wheel module, so I'm assuming you have the plug in the module to plug in the sport chrono ****.

I think my only main concern, and I'm afraid might be the case is that "Sport Chrono activated" signal that the AC module sends out. There's a reason why the chinese folks have built a module that inserts itself between the CAN network and the AC module. Perhaps to do a MITM attack and resend the message with "Sport chrono activated" so that when it sends the sport plus signal, the gateway sees that sport chrono activated = yes, it changes the profile to sport plus.

As far as the chinese module is concerned. It's probably just a CAN filter module similar to mileage blockers, but just adds that sport chrono activated code. Likely the PIWIS3 activation stuff they do is just to make sure no one steals it lol
Maybe if I get one these it might work
https://www.ebay.com/itm/27471455642...&segname=11051

Old 06-18-2024, 06:16 PM
Sk7499
Intermediate

I'm going to buy the sports selector switch and see if I can figure this out. Anyone know does the steering wheell back Bezel need be modified can I retrofit the switch.. I can't tell if I need a new Bezel or not my thought is the mounting points should all be in place does anyone have a Pic of the selector switch that I can see
Old 06-18-2024, 07:18 PM
McKlyde
Track Day

I imagine you'd just grab yourself some double sided sticker. Trace out the outline, and the holes. Once that's done stick it to the bezel then drill it out. Probably wanna cut out some stuff at the bottom for the wiring to go to.

When that's all said and done.

You gotta code it. Here's the list of things I've gathered based on auto coding rules and optioning 639/640. I recommend just changing kombiinstrument module.

991.2 I-NR: 639/640

Gateway
- Sollverbauliste_Byte_3_Stoppuhr = verbaut
Kombiinstrument
- BC_Konfiguration_Byte_4_BC_Rolle_G_Force = ein (Lots of these)
- BC_Konfiguration_Byte_19_BC_Rolle_Chrono = ein (Lots of these)
- Bordcomputer_Menuekonfiguration_Byte_4_G_Force = aktiv
- Bordcomputer_Menuekonfiguration_Byte_7_Chrono = aktiv
- Korrekturfaktor_K_Zahl = 97.5
- Drehmomentanzeige_Konfiguration_Anzeige_Overboost_bei_Sport = ja
- Drehmomentanzeige_Konfiguration_Anzeige_Overboost_bei_SportPlus = ja
- Display_Einstellungen_Zusaetzliches_Anzeigesegment_bei_Sport = ja
- Display_Einstellungen_Zusaetzliches_Anzeigesegment_bei_Sport_Plus = ja
- Weitere_Codierungen_Byte_3_Zusaetzliches_Anzeigesegment_bei_Sport = ja
- Weitere_Codierungen_Byte_3_Zusaetzliches_Anzeigesegment_bei_Sport_Plus = ja
BKE
- Kodierwerte_Tastenfeld_SportPlus_Taste_verfuegbar = ja
KLSM
- Codierbyte_1_Multifunktionslenkrad = ja
- Codierbyte_1_Launch_Control_Anzeige = ja (PDK ONLY)
PSM
- Codierbyte_3_PSM_Sport = PSM On, PSM Sport und PSM Off verfügbar
Scheinwerfer
- Byte6_Sportmodus = Aktiv

If sport plus doesn't work, try setting the profile to individual mode, and then in the individual mode setting to set sport plus to on. These are my old notes, but I have newer notes mentioning that individual mode is also an option you need enable in kombiinstrument module.

Last edited by McKlyde; 06-18-2024 at 07:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sk7499 (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 08:34 PM
Sk7499
Intermediate

I imagine you'd just grab yourself some double sided sticker. Trace out the outline, and the holes. Once that's done stick it to the bezel then drill it out. Probably wanna cut out some stuff at the bottom for the wiring to go to.

When that's all said and done.

You gotta code it. Here's the list of things I've gathered based on auto coding rules and optioning 639/640. I recommend just changing kombiinstrument module.

991.2 I-NR: 639/640

Gateway
- Sollverbauliste_Byte_3_Stoppuhr = verbaut
Kombiinstrument
- BC_Konfiguration_Byte_4_BC_Rolle_G_Force = ein (Lots of these)
- BC_Konfiguration_Byte_19_BC_Rolle_Chrono = ein (Lots of these)
- Bordcomputer_Menuekonfiguration_Byte_4_G_Force = aktiv
- Bordcomputer_Menuekonfiguration_Byte_7_Chrono = aktiv
- Korrekturfaktor_K_Zahl = 97.5
- Drehmomentanzeige_Konfiguration_Anzeige_Overboost_bei_Sport = ja
- Drehmomentanzeige_Konfiguration_Anzeige_Overboost_bei_SportPlus = ja
- Display_Einstellungen_Zusaetzliches_Anzeigesegment_bei_Sport = ja
- Display_Einstellungen_Zusaetzliches_Anzeigesegment_bei_Sport_Plus = ja
- Weitere_Codierungen_Byte_3_Zusaetzliches_Anzeigesegment_bei_Sport = ja
- Weitere_Codierungen_Byte_3_Zusaetzliches_Anzeigesegment_bei_Sport_Plus = ja
BKE
- Kodierwerte_Tastenfeld_SportPlus_Taste_verfuegbar = ja
KLSM
- Codierbyte_1_Multifunktionslenkrad = ja
- Codierbyte_1_Launch_Control_Anzeige = ja (PDK ONLY)
PSM
- Codierbyte_3_PSM_Sport = PSM On, PSM Sport und PSM Off verfügbar
Scheinwerfer
- Byte6_Sportmodus = Aktiv

If sport plus doesn't work, try setting the profile to individual mode, and then in the individual mode setting to set sport plus to on. These are my old notes, but I have newer notes mentioning that individual mode is also an option you need enable in kombiinstrument module.
I want see you f I can buy the Bezel or if it will fit without cutting
Old 06-21-2024, 01:25 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

What does it take to add the dial **** to the steering wheel? I know the bezel has to change, and and the dial hardware. But what about where it gets connected inside the steering wheel? Does the existing module have a free connection for it? And will it automatically recognize that the dial is connected? If so, is it just OBD2 coding to get things configured or would it need piwis?
Old 06-21-2024, 07:02 PM
it_manager
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried to do it on my 718 Boxster S - everything is working, but SportPlus mode not activating via selector on the steering wheel, which my local Indy shop was able to retrofit in my steering wheel. Need activation code for the climate control module, which you can enter via PIWIS, however nobody can provide right code for now.
Old 06-21-2024, 09:09 PM
Sk7499
Intermediate

Originally Posted by it_manager
Tried to do it on my 718 Boxster S - everything is working, but SportPlus mode not activating via selector on the steering wheel, which my local Indy shop was able to retrofit in my steering wheel. Need activation code for the climate control module, which you can enter via PIWIS, however nobody can provide right code for now.
Did u buy the selector button Or a new steering wheel with selector. I'm trying to see if I buy the selector an I retrofit it to my steering wheel or I need new Bezel
Old 06-22-2024, 04:51 PM
it_manager
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sk7499
Did u buy the selector button Or a new steering wheel with selector. I'm trying to see if I buy the selector an I retrofit it to my steering wheel or I need new Bezel
I’ve bought just a selector and some additional electronics inside steering wheel and my local Indy shop retrofitted it in my steering wheel.
Old 06-22-2024, 05:02 PM
Sk7499
Intermediate

I’ve bought just a selector and some additional electronics inside steering wheel and my local Indy shop retrofitted it in my steering wheel.
Hate to ask do u have time can u share a Pic front side view of finished product I'm attempting this on a 911 and either I need buy a Bezel or I can so how use the existing one..
Old 06-22-2024, 07:02 PM
McKlyde
Track Day

Thanks for trying it out! Sad to see that even then it won't activate sport plus. It sounds like the best way to go about this now is to figure out what CAN signals the AC module sends out. Perhaps a single bit just to activate sport plus mode.
I'm curious did you try setting individual mode? You can set sport plus in individual mode in the cluster. Does that work? If it doesn't does it switch you to sport? or just normal?

I have wired CAN sniffer ready and wired up - just not wired to the gateway. I'm hoping that there's an extension harness out there. (Seems like VW MQB platform has CAN extension) or maybe a part number to the CAN gateway plug. Some track data loggers out there are using posi taps but not sure if I wanna do that yet...
Not to mention having a CAN extension harness means I can sniff other peoples cars (with sport plus) in a non obtrusive manner.

Last edited by McKlyde; 06-22-2024 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Sports chrono