991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sports chrono

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2024 | 07:52 PM
McKlyde
Rennlist Member

So at the moment the issue is still present.
It looks like for me at least there are only two maps available on the engine and 4 (Normal, Sport, Sport+, Sport++) maps on the transmission.
Engine only seems to have either map 1 "normal" or map 2 "sport". I think this makes sense as I've seen GT3s with a PDK sport button instead.
I can't seem to acquire the higher maps, looking around in the net the 3rd map seems to be the "track mode" in the vw world.
I looked around in in Cobb tuning Porsche guide and it seems like there's 4 maps (normal 1, normal 2, sport 1, sport 2) but mentions that they don't know the difference. I'm guessing the pops n bangs setting is somewhere around here?

Is anyone else able to confirm the maps for the car? There's a publicly available DBC file out there from a Panamera which represents the signals that I'm sending
I also tried map 1 (normal) with the highest transmission map. No pops and bangs but the antilag system doesn't seem to be as agressive as the 2nd map. The anti lag system seems to also link to the transmission mapping as well. The highest being the most agressive, but it's not the case for the normal one. Is the "1psi" spool thing fake? and are the pops n bangs just a setting?

Here's a summary of what that request looks:
MO - Motor (Sport mode requests for map 2)
GE - Transmission (Getriebe) (Sport mode requests for map 2)
ST - ??
SCU - ??
DR - ?? (Sport mode requests for map 2)
QS - Querrsperre (Diff setting?)
AFS - Headlights (Sport mode requests for map 2)
RGS - ?
EPS - Steering (Sport mode requests for map 2)
ACC - Cruise Control (Sport mode requests for map 2)
SAK - SoundAktor (I hear it clicks)
HAL - ?? (Sport mode requests for map 2)
BCM - Body control module? (Sport mode requests for map 2)
BMS - ?? Battery management system? I think Hybrid only?
ALR - AWD diff setting? (Allrad) (Sport mode requests for map 2)
ESP - Traction (Sport mode requests for map 2)
PDCC - PDCC (Sport mode requests for map 2)
QUER - Another diff lock? (Sport mode requests for map 2)
MO_1 - Motor 1 (Sport mode requests for map 2)
DR_01 - ?? (Sport mode requests for map 2)

Any guesses on what the others could be?
Old 08-18-2024 | 03:36 PM
YogaYoghurt
Rennlist Member

Last edited by YogaYoghurt; 08-18-2024 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-01-2024 | 02:39 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

I’m curious to know if anyone has come across any new insights or learnings about the Sport Plus mode. It’s a feature that has intrigued me for a while.

On a related note, I find it surprising that no one on this forum has purchased the AutoSVS module. Given the interest in performance enhancements and modifications that I’ve seen here, I would have expected at least a few members to have tried it out by now. Has anyone continued exploring this option, or perhaps looked into it and decided against it for some reason other than cost?

I’m really interested in hearing from others who might have firsthand experience or knowledge on either of these topics. Your insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Hank
Old 09-03-2024 | 12:13 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Myself and Joserpaq were able to retrofit Sport Plus, but the big caveat is we both had a 2012 Carrera S. The process doesn't seem to be working on 991's for model years other than that. My friend in the PCA spent a lot of time getting my retrofit using PIWIS 3, but he was unable to duplicate the process for a 2014 car even after pulling thousands of lines of code and comparing 1:1 with my car's export. FWIW, the options to turn Sport Plus features on within PIWIS did not appear for me until I installed an OEM sport chrono clock using a 981 harness, but Joserpaq was able to turn it on using Thinkdiag even with his aftermarket sport chrono clock.

I am also surprised the forum hasn't just each contributed $200 to split the risk on the China kit and see if it works. AutoSVS certainly doesn't do themselves any favors with marketing or taking offers from very technical Rennlisters to install and review their product. If my friend wasn't able to figure this out, I was just going to rip off bandaid and try that next.
The following users liked this post:
Hank Cohn (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024 | 01:21 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

AutoSVS ordered. Very interesting that installing the clock made a difference.

Hank
Jim981CS (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024 | 01:36 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hank Cohn
AutoSVS ordered. Very interesting that installing the clock made a difference.

Hank
You are about to pique the interest of a LOT of folks on here. Please do reply back when you've received the kit and worked with it! Best of luck to you Hank

@Jim981CS FYI
The following 2 users liked this post by mwjackson92:
Hank Cohn (09-03-2024), Jim981CS (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024 | 04:10 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very interested myself. I wasn't planning on getting the clock, but your earlier post makes me wonder if adding as many pieces as reasonably possible would increase the chances of success.

Hank
Old 09-03-2024 | 05:29 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Very interested myself. I wasn't planning on getting the clock, but your earlier post makes me wonder if adding as many pieces as reasonably possible would increase the chances of success. Hank

I really like the clock, it makes the car feel complete in my eyes.

Hank Cohn (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024 | 05:41 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

@mwjackson92 Did you purchase your Sport Chrono clock from the dealer? What about the harness and dashboard components? Have already jumped into the deep end, might as well see how deep it actually is.

Thank you,
Hank
Old 09-03-2024 | 06:18 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

@mwjackson92 Did you purchase your Sport Chrono clock from the dealer? What about the harness and dashboard components? Have already jumped into the deep end, might as well see how deep it actually is.

Thank you,
Hank
I purchased the dashboard components and 981 harness from Gaudin Porsche. The part numbers below are for a black interior, if you have a different interior let me know and I can help you find the right part numbers. I did this for my friend with an Espresso dashboard.

You will need to extend the 981 harness which you can see the steps here from Auto Amateur on YouTube (skip 3:44):

As for the sport chrono clock, I did not purchase that new from the dealer since it's around $1000. Instead I found a used one on eBay for about $250. Keep in mind the 981, 718, 991, and 970 Panamera all use the same clock even if the part number is 1 digit off. I was able to get my 970 Panamera clock which is 100% identical to a 991 black clock for much cheaper, since all the listings from totaled 911's are listed for more money. I'd just put a keyword saved search for "Porsche chrono clock" so you're notified when new units come up. Inventory on eBay is a little low right now, but here is an example chrono clock:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18657211520...mis&media=COPY

All in I spent a little under $500 on parts and 2 hours of labor for my PCA mechanic to extend the harness wires and install for me to the back of the PCM.

EDIT: Here is an already assembled full dashboard trim piece if you want to save a little money:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23572768945...mis&media=COPY

Last edited by mwjackson92; 09-03-2024 at 06:23 PM.
Hank Cohn (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024 | 06:39 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mwjackson92
Myself and Joserpaq were able to retrofit Sport Plus, but the big caveat is we both had a 2012 Carrera S. The process doesn't seem to be working on 991's for model years other than that. My friend in the PCA spent a lot of time getting my retrofit using PIWIS 3, but he was unable to duplicate the process for a 2014 car even after pulling thousands of lines of code and comparing 1:1 with my car's export. FWIW, the options to turn Sport Plus features on within PIWIS did not appear for me until I installed an OEM sport chrono clock using a 981 harness, but Joserpaq was able to turn it on using Thinkdiag even with his aftermarket sport chrono clock.

I am also surprised the forum hasn't just each contributed $200 to split the risk on the China kit and see if it works. AutoSVS certainly doesn't do themselves any favors with marketing or taking offers from very technical Rennlisters to install and review their product. If my friend wasn't able to figure this out, I was just going to rip off bandaid and try that next.
As mwjackson stated it may be an issue with the Mfg month/year of the Car. I bought a SC clock off of amazon and just spliced it into the harness and it worked as a clock taking it's time from the canbus immediately. I had to buy a SC code off the internet to activate SC function on the MF display and to get it to come up on the PCM so that code got me all the missing feature for the stop watch. I got Sports+ working using the method that's been posted but I believe the Sports+ activation is independent from the SC setup on the PCM and AC modules.
Hank Cohn (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024 | 07:04 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

@joserpaq Good information. I was tempted to just purchase a Sport + code but it seems like that has been tried with poor results on later year 991.1s. Mine is a 2016 (2015 production date) and I don't know if the PIWIS expertise you and mwjackson had access to are available in my area. I do have a PIWIS III and will have to go it alone.

@mwjackson92 Thank you for the parts list and eBay links. All clock related parts now ordered...

Thank you both,
Hank
mwjackson92 (09-04-2024)
Old 09-03-2024 | 11:20 PM
McKlyde
Rennlist Member

Default No updates

Ive got no updates since my car seemed to have developed some turbo feed line leaks and ive got no time to do it these days.

All I have to say is that from what Ive learned so far, the solution that AutoSVS is 100% the direction where I would go. Ive spent a considerable amount researching and trying a bunch that I’m starting to think that that their solution is priced very well. Not to mention mass fabrication of their solution cost a lot of money. I would say the best solution would be to have the AC software modified (just like the PCM), but thats really hard to do.

If I wasnt so gung ho on trying to make this crap work for free, I would buy it. More money than time!

Old 09-03-2024 | 11:34 PM
YogaYoghurt
Rennlist Member

I've been working through this on the 958.1 Cayenne and have Sport+ engine map working. For me, it took replacing the AC/BKE with a facelift version. As others have seen, the control signal goes from the BKE to the gateway out to the other associated modules. I already had Sport Chrono on my CTTS so a module replacement in PIWIS and enabling Sport+ in the cluster was all it took to get the engine map working.

My PASM/PDCC/transmission maps don't appear to be Sport+ and I'm thinking those modules plus the gateway and front bcm will need to be replaced to get Sport+ working 100%. I have implausible signal codes coming from most of those modules when in "Sport+" mode.

The hands fell off my stock chrono clock so I replaced it with one of the $100 amazon prime China specials. The gateway is complaining it can't talk to the clone chrono so I don't think it's needed in the equation at least in the Cayenne.

I share this to say there's hope! I also think it's more in depth than most of us expect
Old 09-04-2024 | 12:15 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

You guys who are figuring this stuff out are truly amazing. I’m incredibly envious of your skills and talents. I’ve had the privilege of benefiting from similarly skilled folks at comma.ai, and I know just how much expertise it takes to understand and modify automotive CAN communications and reverse-engineer what Porsche and others have worked so hard to protect. Wishing you continued success in this impressive endeavor!

Hank

Quick Reply: Sports chrono