Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sports chrono

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024 | 02:27 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Originally Posted by joserpaq
I might be interested as well. Are we clear on what would be required to active SC with S+ aside from buying the solution from Autosvs? What esle would be needed to complete the upgrade?
According to them, PIWIS would be required. They'd provide an activation code, and that module they provide sounds like it'll force the code through instead of the roadblock we're all having when we buy a code separately and are unable to get it to work.
Old 03-14-2024 | 02:32 PM
Rob's-981S
Rennlist Member

According to AutoSvs you have to code some custom field with PIWIS, but apart from that it's Plug & Play.

My guess is they've found some unused data field, and have encrypted their device somehow to ensure someone doesn't just copy their code and duplicate it I bet it's something like an Arduino board with Dual-channel LIN interface..

I asked for installation instructions but was told I can't get a copy without buying. That's a bit suspicious.

I've tried asking for a group buy, but they will only shave a small amount off... I have also asked for special pricing in combination with publishing a detailed review. No luck whatsoever...

I have some photos of the unit which takes power from the push button unit, and piggybacks its LINBus. On the far side of the BKE you have to cut the LINBus line to the vehicle and put this unit in the middle. That's why I think they're stripping the 'Sport' code from the BKE output when SP+ is selected, and replacing it with 'Sport Plus'

I told them when nobody else in the US has experience with this unit, $1,300 is too much risk for me... the answer was "understood".
Old 03-14-2024 | 02:37 PM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rob's-981S
According to AutoSvs you have to code some custom field with PIWIS, but apart from that it's Plug & Play.

My guess is they've found some unused data field, and have encrypted their device somehow to ensure someone doesn't just copy their code and duplicate it I bet it's something like an Arduino board with Dual-channel LIN interface..

I asked for installation instructions but was told I can't get a copy without buying. That's a bit suspicious.

I've tried asking for a group buy, but they will only shave a small amount off... I have also asked for special pricing in combination with publishing a detailed review. No luck whatsoever...

I have some photos of the unit which takes power from the push button unit, and piggybacks its LINBus. On the far side of the BKE you have to cut the LINBus line to the vehicle and put this unit in the middle. That's why I think they're stripping the 'Sport' code from the BKE output when SP+ is selected, and replacing it with 'Sport Plus'

I told them when nobody else in the US has experience with this unit, $1,300 is too much risk for me... the answer was "understood".
I asked for it last year to give a copy to my mechanic, here you go. Probably not as detailed as you're hoping since you seem a bit more technically nuanced than me!

I feel a little wary that they're not interested in letting you do a detailed review. Hell i'd give you one for free, if you did a review and said this is a good product, they could easily sell 100+ units from all the people with sport chrono envy across Rennlist, Facebook, and the PCA groups.

Last edited by mwjackson92; 03-14-2024 at 02:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jim981CS (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024 | 02:53 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Originally Posted by McKlyde
Hey Jim,

I've been digging into this fiasco for a quite a couple hours now and I do believe the BKE version is the issue. From version 2.1 - 2.3 Sport plus codable, then for 2.4 it is no longer codable.
Does your 981 have the 2.4 BKE version?
With how it is now I think there's a few possibilities but will take a while since money is an obstacle here lol
  • Both Instrument Cluster & BKE can send a Sport Plus command - This means if I get Sport Chrono wheel, I'm likely able to trigger Sport Plus. Assuming this is the case.
    • Looking at the function flow (very old from .1 models) the BKE sends the sport+ signal to turn on, the rest of the system receives that signal, then the module that can accept sport plus & will relay with sport+ is ON signal then the center console buttons light up. I don't see the reason why the ****/instrument cluster/klsm can't send that message, the **** already does that.
  • Instrument Cluster sends BKE the Sport Plus command - Honestly SOL here.
    • Flash with binary. idk how to do this, I tried to change the MCR no luck there
    • Get an older AC unit. Probably works only for 9x1.1, not for .2
On my 2014 981 Cayman S with a 1/14 build date the BKE air con unit is A2.3 with HW version 406 and SW version 1800. And as mentioned above would not activate after entering the hacked activation code with PIWIS2.

To clarify the price on the AutoSvs site is currently listed as $1499 plus $70 shipping. Count me in if someone can put together a group buy at a reasonable price.
Jim
Old 03-14-2024 | 11:08 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sk7499
Thanks everyone ill keep digging I have the sports Chrono off of ebay it looks oem haven't plugged it in they send the wrong harness. If the led it to bright I'llput in a resister to dim it a bit. I'll report back if I mess with programming
Let us know how this looks with some pics if possible once you get it installed. I've surprised you can't control the light intensity with the rest of the dash since it's tied into the communication bus on the car.
Old 03-15-2024 | 01:01 AM
McKlyde
Rennlist Member

As far as my research goes with PIWIS, I've gone and looked through the piwis folders, found the MCR (Coding rules), and found the firmware as well. I managed to acquire the bin files which contained 4 files. The flash driver, app 1, app 2, and data blocks. With that said, I can't make sense of the bin files. They don't look uncompressed, or encrypted like the ECUs, and they also have a part number in the bin files (which leads me to believe they're as raw as they get). I haven't ripped apart the AC unit yet to figure out what it's running on but if anyone has any info/advice that would be awesome.

I'm also a bit hesistant to use autosvs method as there is this method here that exist:
There's also another video, and both videos show both codes. With this method I don't see any retrofits with the yellow module. I've contacted clsautostyling and I'll update if there's anything there. In jest, there's only 16^8 combinations. Computers now can crack that!

Last edited by McKlyde; 03-15-2024 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-15-2024 | 09:15 AM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by McKlyde
As far as my research goes with PIWIS, I've gone and looked through the piwis folders, found the MCR (Coding rules), and found the firmware as well. I managed to acquire the bin files which contained 4 files. The flash driver, app 1, app 2, and data blocks. With that said, I can't make sense of the bin files. They don't look uncompressed, or encrypted like the ECUs, and they also have a part number in the bin files (which leads me to believe they're as raw as they get). I haven't ripped apart the AC unit yet to figure out what it's running on but if anyone has any info/advice that would be awesome.

I'm also a bit hesistant to use autosvs method as there is this method here that exist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLZWVtIOX8M
There's also another video, and both videos show both codes. With this method I don't see any retrofits with the yellow module. I've contacted clsautostyling and I'll update if there's anything there. In jest, there's only 16^8 combinations. Computers now can crack that!
I've also reached out to the company that made that video but haven't gotten a response. That solution would be great.
The following users liked this post:
Jim981CS (03-15-2024)
Old 03-16-2024 | 11:37 PM
Sk7499
Intermediate

Count me in on group buy AutoSvs site
Old 03-17-2024 | 12:24 AM
911Raider
Instructor

Originally Posted by joserpaq;[url=tel:19328698
19328698[/url]]Here's another link to someone that was able to add it using PIWIS. I plan to tackle this at some point on my 991.1S as well. Where did you buy your SC clock? Did you get original or one of the kits they sell on ebay and amazon? If so how as the quality?

https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...ware-side.html
A 991.1 S would already have Sport Chrono, no?
Old 03-17-2024 | 12:25 AM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Raider
I have 991s with no SC.
Old 03-17-2024 | 08:15 AM
Sk7499
Intermediate

I bought the sc aftermarket off of ebay. The material looks OK color looks to be the same looks and fits oem for me. The gauge light is a bit bright but it's not that bad.. I haggled with seller to get a lower price. The wire kit provided looks oem no wires need be cut. The hardest part was trying to remove the dash plate to put the Chrono in.
Old 03-17-2024 | 09:50 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Raider
It is an option, so not necessarily.
Old 03-17-2024 | 07:12 PM
Sk7499
Intermediate

Hate to complicate this more anyone ever changed this sports Chrono to a digital one and somehow project ob2 data on it. Looking to see if I can make it more useful
Old 03-17-2024 | 07:19 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

I definately want to add the clock even if it's just for the look and time function and hopefully some other function if I can get coding worked out. I'm just not sure if I should go with amazon/ebay new Chinese solution or OEM used unit from 911 or other porsche. I read about the non OEM unit being too bright so I assume the OEM version gets brightness level from cars Canbus. If I decide to buy an OEM unit not sure which others would work like from 982, Macan or Cayenne.

Old 03-17-2024 | 07:29 PM
Sk7499
Intermediate

Oem will prob set u back more than knockoff. I see if I cam video or take Pic of mine in dark mine is not oem. I don't think it's that bright but maybe it is for some

Quick Reply: Sports chrono