Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrestling with purchase of 991.2 2017 Carrera S Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 01:40 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

when I bought mine the dealer said that the price is non-negotiable as policy, maybe he's full of it or maybe because they already dropped the price. doesn't hurt to ask and make an offer. either way I wasn't going to quibble over a few thousand after I decided that I wanted it. as for value, hard to say. my base 991.2 also has softronic and DSC which together cost me $5k in canada so I figure that the C2 vs C2S is somewhat irrelevant. the only way I'll worry about value is if this car gets totalled or I trade it in for a turbo-s and even then I won't worry very much. if not I'll drive it until I die.
The following users liked this post:
911 RS (12-09-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 01:47 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 144 Posts

I'd want to see the receipt for the "minor" repair. Don't trust dealers or Carfax. There have been stories on this site about CPO cars with "minor" damage that turned out to be more than that. I purchased a Lexus based on a clean Carfax and it was run head on into a tree before I bought it (found out when I sold it). No receipt, I'd pass.
Old 12-09-2023, 01:59 PM
911 RS
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tpup
I'd want to see the receipt for the "minor" repair. Don't trust dealers or Carfax. There have been stories on this site about CPO cars with "minor" damage that turned out to be more than that. I purchased a Lexus based on a clean Carfax and it was run head on into a tree before I bought it (found out when I sold it). No receipt, I'd pass.
yes that is a problem. The dealer said they have no info on what the damage/accident was. This is what they said in response to my question about damage listed on Carfax:

The True 360 report dated 9/8/23 says "No prior repairs or damage found." The Carfax reports an accident or damage on 10/26/17 to the left side of the vehicle. Do you know why there is a discrepancy here? If the car was damaged, is there a record of what happened and what repairs were made (the True360 report showed. no damage but Carfax did so I asked which was correct)

“As no prior damage was found on the True360 assessment, as well as our CPO inspection, I would be unsure about this discrepancy. As both our checks did not find evidence of any repairs, please take the current condition of the vehicle as described!“
Old 12-09-2023, 02:14 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,152 Likes on 690 Posts

Putting a car on video with dirt in the center console, steering wheel, door sills, and swirls in the paint gives you an idea as to dealerships attention to detail, or lack thereof.

Just that alone is a no for me.
The following 5 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
ash_schwin (12-18-2023), Cur (12-10-2023), dak911 (12-17-2023), K996 (12-10-2023), regajohn (12-15-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 02:28 PM
911 RS
Track Day

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Putting a car on video with dirt in the center console, steering wheel, door sills, and swirls in the paint gives you an idea as to dealerships attention to detail, or lack thereof.

Just that alone is a no for me.
Right!? Thank you for mentioning that, I thought it was just me. This is the follow up response I just received:

The only clarity I have on the driver's side damage is what shows now on the True360 report. They fully paint meter and inspect the car, so I would go off that current condition.

Then they encourage me to make an offer and this is the last sentence in the email, I assume responding to my saying that I had concerns about the car being there and unsold for 100 days and it not being convertible season like it was 2-3 months ago as that effects me buying if others didn’t jump on it.

We're stocked with over 50 pre owned sportscars in the dead of a Long Island winter, if we thought the market was softening and in the position to threaten our livelihoods here, I'm sure that inventory would look much different!”
Old 12-09-2023, 03:09 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

my car had the 2017 accident listed on the bill of sale as well as carfax. it was a small rear ender and the damage was around $4500 CDN which is peanuts on a 911, a new bumper would cost that. he also said that if the damage was less than $3k it wouldn't have been noted on the bill of sale as per requirements. maybe the dollar value is the difference between the 2 reports, or one didn't get the correct info.
Old 12-09-2023, 03:17 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

I see on the true360 report that it is not a historic report but an inspection report on a specific date so unless some damage was not repaired properly the technician wouldn't notice or have reason to suspect damage.
The following users liked this post:
911 RS (12-09-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 06:44 PM
beh911
Track Day

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

To OP:

Stop "wrestling" with this one and walk away. They made something like 225,000 to 240,000 Porsche 991s. They are emotionally intoxicating but they aren't particular hard to find.
More of them will be in accidents over time, and the good ones will begin to stand out due to conscientious ownership, transparent sellers, and condition.
Be patient, prices are coming down too.

The following 3 users liked this post by beh911:
dak911 (12-17-2023), K996 (12-10-2023), SConn (12-10-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 10:48 PM
911 RS
Track Day

Originally Posted by beh911
To OP:

Stop "wrestling" with this one and walk away. They made something like 225,000 to 240,000 Porsche 991s. They are emotionally intoxicating but they aren't particular hard to find.
More of them will be in accidents over time, and the good ones will begin to stand out due to conscientious ownership, transparent sellers, and condition.
Be patient, prices are coming down too.
Yes I have one….just interested in another. Thanks
Old 12-10-2023, 02:01 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
You need to go look at it before you spend any money on a PPI.
This. You are about to spend almost 100kUSD on a car. Your not travelling there to check the car is a problem IMHO. Couple it with something else to do there in case you decide not to buy the car.
If you do decide to buy the car and see problems by yourself - before PPI - then you have leverage to negotiate the price of the car, it will offset the cost of your travel.
In my case, I did not negotiate too much the price of my used 991 but the Porsche salesman did offer for me to have another look at the car once I signed the paperwork to buy the car and told me that if there were anything I did not like, they would repair or replace it. I think I got my money back and then some more :-D
Old 12-10-2023, 12:29 PM
HardRider
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 120 Posts

For reference CPO IS NOT new car warranty. Yes it will cover a failed turbo or trans failure but not wear (loose seat), bubble in tailight, etc. Any car the shows damage irregardless of how much looses 50% of potential buyers since they will not consider. Called diminished value its very real and on a 991.2 that you are looking at I would think $15K due to accident. That gets you to $80K as price. I had an incorrect car fax showing accident. Value of Tundra dropped $8500. Once record correct carvanna offered popped right back up.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:51 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider
For reference CPO IS NOT new car warranty. Yes it will cover a failed turbo or trans failure but not wear (loose seat), bubble in tailight, etc. Any car the shows damage irregardless of how much looses 50% of potential buyers since they will not consider. Called diminished value its very real and on a 991.2 that you are looking at I would think $15K due to accident. That gets you to $80K as price. I had an incorrect car fax showing accident. Value of Tundra dropped $8500. Once record correct carvanna offered popped right back up.
^
this!
Old 12-10-2023, 01:42 PM
911 RS
Track Day

thank you that’s a good thing to consider. Additional information for your consideration regarding pricing:

Car has been owned by dealership for ~105 days. When listed for sale in September, a site I found showed it was $112,995. 10/17/23 lists it at $108,000. 11/27/23 it was reduced to $97,900. Shortly thereafter it was reduced to $95,900 and on Dec 8, slight reduction to $95,343.

So I’m trying to figure out if they have already “priced in” the damage listed on the Carfax. Obviously not the same market as it was a year and even six months ago. I know the initial listing was aspirational (also one site shows initial list at $108,000). Either way it’s down either $18,652 or down $12,647ish.

It’s in line with other cars that have also come down, one site says it’s a good deal but it doesn’t know about damage I assume. I’ve thought of offering $85,000 but that may be lower than they are willing to entertain.

I know I need to see car as others have suggested. Thanks for letting me know if above info helps with your pricing assessment.
Old 12-10-2023, 02:10 PM
Foosh
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 229 Posts

According to my dealer, CPO will cover any defect in a non-wear part for the first 2 years after purchase. My dealer just replaced a cracked plastic fitting free of charge on the windshield washer plumbing just last week on a 2014 TTS I purchased this past spring. I wasn't even aware of it, they just found it when it was in for a tire replacement.

@911 RS When I purchased my '14 TTS, CarFax did list "minor damage" to the rear. I found the record, and it turned about to be a rear bumper shell replacement because the previous owner tapped something when backing up. Nothing underneath the composite bumper material was damaged. I viewed that as an advantage because I ended up getting close to a $15K discount off market price for that particular car. If you can find out what the damage was, it can work to your advantage in price.

If buying to flip within a year or two, then yes a CarFax report works against you. If buying as a long-term keeper and driver, it can be a benefit if the damage was only cosmetic. I bought to keep "forever."

Last edited by Foosh; 12-10-2023 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2023, 02:33 PM
911 RS
Track Day

Originally Posted by Foosh
According to my dealer, CPO will cover any defect in a non-wear part for the first 2 years after purchase. My dealer just replaced a cracked plastic fitting free of charge on the windshield washer plumbing just last week on a 2014 TTS I purchased this past spring. I wasn't even aware of it, they just found it when it was in for a tire replacement.

@911 RS When I purchased my '14 TTS, CarFax did list "minor damage" to the rear. I found the record, and it turned about to be a rear bumper shell replacement because the previous owner tapped something when backing up. Nothing underneath the composite bumper material was damaged. I viewed that as an advantage because I ended up getting close to a $15K discount off market price for that particular car. If you can find out what the damage was, it can work to your advantage in price.

If buying to flip within a year or two, then yes a CarFax report works against you. If buying as a long-term keeper and driver, it can be a benefit if the damage was only cosmetic. I bought to keep "forever."
thank you! Same, looking for forever or ten years plus at least car, not a flip. Thanks much.

Quick Reply: Wrestling with purchase of 991.2 2017 Carrera S Cabriolet