Sponsored by:

Wrestling with purchase of 991.2 2017 Carrera S Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 09:45 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 302 Posts
Default I would walk

Accident repair with no reciepts is a deal killer. Plus dealer is shady for CPO ing a wrecked car anyway. Your gut instinct to stay away is correct.

Originally Posted by 911 RS
yes that is a problem. The dealer said they have no info on what the damage/accident was. This is what they said in response to my question about damage listed on Carfax:

The True 360 report dated 9/8/23 says "No prior repairs or damage found." The Carfax reports an accident or damage on 10/26/17 to the left side of the vehicle. Do you know why there is a discrepancy here? If the car was damaged, is there a record of what happened and what repairs were made (the True360 report showed. no damage but Carfax did so I asked which was correct)

“As no prior damage was found on the True360 assessment, as well as our CPO inspection, I would be unsure about this discrepancy. As both our checks did not find evidence of any repairs, please take the current condition of the vehicle as described!“
Old 12-18-2023, 12:09 PM
Foosh
Pro

Received 362 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Accident repair with no reciepts is a deal killer. Plus dealer is shady for CPO ing a wrecked car anyway. Your gut instinct to stay away is correct.
The above is pure hyperbole, e.g. "wrecked car, dealer is shady . . ."

Porsche does allow a CPO cert for cosmetic damage on one panel only, and there is a big difference between minor cosmetic damage on a single panel and a "wrecked car."

CarFax is good for punishing a vehicle with a "scarlet letter," but their veracity is dependent upon who reports them, and often aren't particularly informative. The other problem with CarFax is that some cars with major damage have clean reports. Many vehicles with minor damage, but in great condition get slammed, while vehicles with far worse, and sometimes structural damage go unscathed.

A "clean CarFax" may be meaningless.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-18-2023 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-18-2023, 01:13 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

2017 991.2 C2 bought 18 months ago. car had a minor rear ender back in 2017, damage was about $4k so not much more than a new bumper cover and paint. still covered under CPO for 2 years when I bought it. never a consideration when I made the purchase.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 01:21 PM
Foosh
Pro

^^^^ Exactly!

Acquisition costs are usually lower on cars with CarFax reports for no good reason, except that even superficial cosmetic damage freaks out a large number of potential buyers. Even repairing a door ding could trigger a report. The posts I find most comical are from folks who won't purchase a car that had the front bumper cover drilled for a license plate.

Of course, that's great for folks like me because it provides better buying opportunities for informed folks who are drivers, not flippers. I hope a large number of folks keep walking away from these potentially great buys.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-18-2023 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-18-2023, 09:28 PM
HardRider
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 121 Posts

99% of carfax record is Police reports. Like or not 50% of buyers won't look at any car with "accident". See carfax has programmed the public to beleive accident equals damage. ( I used that line in court, judge loved it).. If two identical cars were next to each other why would anyone ever take the one with "accident" designation....

Let's say you are pulling a camper, you back into someone, Police are called. Guess what your truck was never touched but since a police report was filed guess what your truck has an accident designation. Carfax does ZERO due diligence to validate records. Who pays carfax to represent their vehicles? If Carfax misses an accident they claim zero liability. Complete **** show, I win every time.

Last edited by HardRider; 12-18-2023 at 09:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (12-19-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 01:26 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 80 Posts

Just looked at the listing.

I swear I see a slight paint color difference between the front drivers side fender and drivers side door. The fender appears a bit starker white, the door a bit creamier in color. Same at trailing edge of door. I wonder if the door only has been repainted. I have found over the years, looking at and buying many cars, that when the paint difference appears in photos, it's usually easier to see in person. White is -- surprisingly hard to match (even non metallic) so -- I would pass on this car based on this. The minor damage on carfax doesn't scare me off if it's a bumper cover or bumper repaint from a mishap, but a repaint on door (with or without blend) would be a no.

It may be nothing but that plus the carfax... hmm.

Old 12-19-2023, 04:46 PM
Maskman
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

I bought my Cab from that dealership and was less than pleased …

that being said the car has been super and am very happy with it.

ironically same car but Black

Old 12-19-2023, 05:01 PM
Foosh
Pro

Originally Posted by Nashvegas
Just looked at the listing.

I swear I see a slight paint color difference between the front drivers side fender and drivers side door. The fender appears a bit starker white, the door a bit creamier in color. Same at trailing edge of door. I wonder if the door only has been repainted. I have found over the years, looking at and buying many cars, that when the paint difference appears in photos, it's usually easier to see in person. White is -- surprisingly hard to match (even non metallic) so -- I would pass on this car based on this. The minor damage on carfax doesn't scare me off if it's a bumper cover or bumper repaint from a mishap, but a repaint on door (with or without blend) would be a no.

It may be nothing but that plus the carfax... hmm.

I see shadows, and nothing to suggest poor paint matching.

Quick Reply: Wrestling with purchase of 991.2 2017 Carrera S Cabriolet