Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrestling with purchase of 991.2 2017 Carrera S Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 02:45 PM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

I just bought a CPO 2017 991.2 Carrera 4S Cabriolet with 22k miles for $110k.
I saw a minor accident on the carfax, but being a CPO I have no worries and no regrets.
I did have the good fortune to find it locally and drive it first.

I love the car almost as much as my 2015 Turbo S cabriolet.

If the car checks all the boxes for you, go for it IMHO.

I have been looking at the car also.

Mine is Carrera white with brown interior and a brown top.

Last edited by yell03; 12-10-2023 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-10-2023, 04:14 PM
911 RS
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yell03
I just bought a CPO 2017 991.2 Carrera 4S Cabriolet with 22k miles for $110k.
I saw a minor accident on the carfax, but being a CPO I have no worries and no regrets.
I did have the good fortune to find it locally and drive it first.

I love the car almost as much as my 2015 Turbo S cabriolet.

If the car checks all the boxes for you, go for it IMHO.

I have been looking at the car also.

Mine is Carrera white with brown interior and a brown top.
beautiful car! Thanks for your response. How much more do you think the 4 adds to the price vs S?
Old 12-10-2023, 04:38 PM
Cur
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

When I was shopping (from Nov 22 to June 23) it seemed like the 'big wants', manual transmission, cabriolet, and awd were all around $7-10k add ons vs. cars that didn't have them.

If it wasn't white / silver / black it seemed to be priced $3-5k more, too. I kept a spreadsheet for several months leading up to my purchase in June, and had at one point 20-25 cars on it. (I'm a nerd IRL, elec eng)

I got a CPO *loaded* '17 C2S cab in GR for $98 OTD (minus state tax, bought in CA, registered in MA).
The following users liked this post:
911 RS (12-10-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 04:56 PM
HardRider
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 121 Posts

Prices will drop on 911's north of frost line until February. Who buys a 911 in Detroit, Philly...... in winter. So seasonally you are shopping at the perfect time. Prices have about bottomed or returned to normal depreciation. What it was priced in the past is irrelevant it is what it is priced today is relevant. A 911 is a want NOT a need. Get exactly what you want, color trans etc. Do not settle, be patient...
The following users liked this post:
911 RS (12-10-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 06:10 PM
911 RS
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cur
When I was shopping (from Nov 22 to June 23) it seemed like the 'big wants', manual transmission, cabriolet, and awd were all around $7-10k add ons vs. cars that didn't have them.

If it wasn't white / silver / black it seemed to be priced $3-5k more, too. I kept a spreadsheet for several months leading up to my purchase in June, and had at one point 20-25 cars on it. (I'm a nerd IRL, elec eng)

I got a CPO *loaded* '17 C2S cab in GR for $98 OTD (minus state tax, bought in CA, registered in MA).

well played.
Old 12-10-2023, 08:33 PM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911 RS
beautiful car! Thanks for your response. How much more do you think the 4 adds to the price vs S?
Thanks!
When I was looking probably $5-$10K, probably $10K.
I daily drive my cars and my Turbo S is AWD, but I wanted the option to take either car if there was a chance of light snow on a day I wanted to go in to work.
Truth is, I probably wouldn't go in, but just nice to have the option.
Old 12-11-2023, 12:47 PM
Foosh
Pro

Received 362 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by yell03
Thanks!
When I was looking probably $5-$10K, probably $10K.
I daily drive my cars and my Turbo S is AWD, but I wanted the option to take either car if there was a chance of light snow on a day I wanted to go in to work.
Truth is, I probably wouldn't go in, but just nice to have the option.
Ditto. You never know when the forecast is going to be dead wrong.

I've driven to work in the morning of bright, sunny, winter days, with no frozen precipitation in the forecast, only to be surprised with a snow squall in the afternoon that dumped a quick 4." About 10 years ago, it happened to me in a sports car with summer tires. In addition to taking almost 4 hours to get home 25 miles away from my DC office, it was a white knuckle experience.

That also convinced me to never try to get away with winter tires again on my sports cars, which I refuse to park for the winter.
Old 12-11-2023, 02:04 PM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Ditto. You never know when the forecast is going to be dead wrong.

I've driven to work in the morning of bright, sunny, winter days, with no frozen precipitation in the forecast, only to be surprised with a snow squall in the afternoon that dumped a quick 4." About 10 years ago, it happened to me in a sports car with summer tires. In addition to taking almost 4 hours to get home 25 miles away from my DC office, it was a white knuckle experience.

That also convinced me to never try to get away with winter tires again on my sports cars, which I refuse to park for the winter.
Same thing happened to me years ago in a C6 Z06 on summer rubber.
Luckily it was only 1-2" of snow, I made it 10 miles all the way to my development and then got stuck a block from home in no more than an inch of snow, but it had gotten icy. My neighbors gave me a slight push and I managed to get back to my driveway and in to the garage.

Old 12-15-2023, 11:41 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 345 Posts

"The Carfax damage report would make me pause." It would make me terminate the process. Were you to buy the car, and it has a negative CarFax report, the will come when you are going to want to sell it. Either you or your heirs, will be hammered on the negative CarFax report. I am 83 miles away in Greenport NY, but would NOT drive across the street to look at a car with a funky CarFax report. However, the fact that it is a CPO is a +, a 2 year warranty, but that doesn't overshadow the CarFax.

If you were to buy the car, in 2 years the CPO would be gone. However, that funky CarFax just won't go away: It will stay with you until the time comes to take a beating when you decide to sell the car. Pass!!!!

Last edited by Martin S.; 12-15-2023 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-15-2023, 12:27 PM
Foosh
Pro

Received 362 Likes on 247 Posts

I disagree with regard to minor damage, and CarFax notes when the damage is minor. That usually means a single body panel was damaged with no underlying mechanical or structural damage. Only cars with that kind of damage are supposedly allowed to qualify for CPO.

The price impact works both ways and can favor a smart buyer with a lower acquisition cost. Thus, the price hit when you go to sell it is a wash.

You'd be surprised how many cars there are out there that have had that kind damage, but with clean CarFax reports. That's just a green light for a higher asking price and only fools the naive. Smart buyers understand that.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-15-2023 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2023, 01:10 PM
Wachutalkinbout
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beh911
To OP:

Stop "wrestling" with this one and walk away. They made something like 225,000 to 240,000 Porsche 991s. They are emotionally intoxicating but they aren't particular hard to find.
More of them will be in accidents over time, and the good ones will begin to stand out due to conscientious ownership, transparent sellers, and condition.
Be patient, prices are coming down too.
In my recent experience the only price coming down is what they offer on trade in…
Old 12-15-2023, 04:47 PM
HardRider
Racer

I bought my 911 late last year, easily dropped $10K since I bought. cry cry cry. QQQ is up 35% this year, SPY 20%. I am thrilled to swallow a $10K 911 loss in return for a 7 figure portfolio gain this year. All this work to get the best price on a car when in the end by default they are all within $10K, put your effort into making money vs saving. Don't be dollar wise and penny fool. If everyone put the same effort into financial returns as they did looking for 911's with spreadsheets and year long searches they could easily spec a new one exactly as they want, no carafe history at all.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:09 PM
regajohn
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

You can Google and find out, but my understanding is … if the car is a CPO the damage must be minor and must have been repaired at a certified Porsches repair facility, those places take pictures, so someone should know about where the car was fixed and someone should have pictures of the damage before and during and after the repair process. Also just because it’s a CPO doesn’t mean they really did everything they were supposed to, I know for a fact some dealers pistol whip parts of the requirement. I was a bit perturbed when I looked at my flat tire repair goo and it has a 2013 manufacturing date instead of a 2020 manufacture date (it should’ve been replaced).

there were some other items that should’ve been replaced based on time, six-year service, but I don’t believe were addressed (serviced / replaced).

with regards to depreciation, Cabs sticker for more than coupes when new but almost always sell for less on the used market … unless it’s a speedster or specialized Car (C.GT / 918 / etc.).
Old 12-15-2023, 06:49 PM
HardRider
Racer

I am very familiar with CPO since I have the dealer document. CPO is a double edged sword. The dealer has to make repairs to meet the CPO requirements but nobody check their work EXCEPT YOU, Guess what, those repairs come out of dealership profit. Once you own the car the honeymoon is over. Then CPO ONLY COVERS Failed parts. So a clouded headlight that still function is not getting replaced. It's still functional. However it should been replaced under the CPO certification. YOU better find any issues before giving them a penny. If they don't correct don't buy. Period. Check your weatherstripping on front doors the triangle piece at front. if that is split it should be replaced under CPO certification, once you take ownership CPO will not replace. CPO really only covers items that aren't excluded that prevent the car from rolling down the road. By the way that weatherstripping on the door by the triangle piece is $2400 installed. The dealer has 98% say if part is covered under CPO. So if you want to give them reach arounds with $570.oil changes, $800 batteries, $400 alignments then they will be "nice" to you. Not me, I paid once I not paying again. I know exactly what they are responsible for and if they don't want to comply they get the demand letter....

Last edited by HardRider; 12-15-2023 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-17-2023, 02:55 PM
Maskman
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

I have black with red leather and red top and love it…red top is the best!…..

Quick Reply: Wrestling with purchase of 991.2 2017 Carrera S Cabriolet