Sponsored by:

Sanity check on dealer service quotes for a few issues on my 2016 C2

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 01:07 AM
Bluey
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by justbob
Down here in SW Florida, Naples and Fort Myers are at $400 a hour. My indy is at $145.
Wow that’s nuts. These guys did admit that they’re “a bit more expensive than the other shops.” lol
Old 11-27-2023, 01:28 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 314 Likes on 190 Posts

I think a lot of the outrageous pricing is simply demand management. They've sold enormous quantities of cars and SUVs over the last few years. Half their techs probably quit during COVID, but they still kept selling everything they could get their hands on. So now, when you need your oil changed, will you be angrier if they tell you, "We can maybe fit you in next quarter," or "That will be $800?" Everybody will be pissed off when they hear the former, but a large proportion of customers will shrug at the latter and hand over their credit card.

Doesn't justify it, but it does explain it. And it certainly doesn't justify charging top-dollar prices and doing $#!+ work.
Old 11-27-2023, 01:42 PM
Bluey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
I think a lot of the outrageous pricing is simply demand management. They've sold enormous quantities of cars and SUVs over the last few years. Half their techs probably quit during COVID, but they still kept selling everything they could get their hands on. So now, when you need your oil changed, will you be angrier if they tell you, "We can maybe fit you in next quarter," or "That will be $800?" Everybody will be pissed off when they hear the former, but a large proportion of customers will shrug at the latter and hand over their credit card.

Doesn't justify it, but it does explain it. And it certainly doesn't justify charging top-dollar prices and doing $#!+ work.
Very solid point indeed. If I’m going to pay the prices they’re asking though I better get good service without damage to my car. They don’t seem to get that…their response was very monotone. Not even apologetic.
Old 11-27-2023, 02:11 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 314 Likes on 190 Posts

Exactly. I'm not one to haggle over service prices as long as the work is done right. I've already resigned myself to the notion that I'll have to 'buy' my current cars twice, because there's nothing new for sale that I like.

Historically the Bellevue dealer has done OK by me. Which is why I don't like to hear about lying, or about workmanship that is indistinguishable from vandalism.
Old 11-27-2023, 03:56 PM
Bluey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
Exactly. I'm not one to haggle over service prices as long as the work is done right. I've already resigned myself to the notion that I'll have to 'buy' my current cars twice, because there's nothing new for sale that I like.

Historically the Bellevue dealer has done OK by me. Which is why I don't like to hear about lying, or about workmanship that is indistinguishable from vandalism.
Glad to hear that you’ve had a good experience with them. I honestly wish I had the same. It’s unfortunate because now I have to find another location because I don’t want to bring the Macan or the 991 to them anymore.

Got a quote from another dealership and waiting on another one from an indie shop. Fingers crossed…
Old 11-27-2023, 04:09 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan1
@Bluey as a Rennlist goodwill gesture, come by my shop and we can install the battery and I will perform the programming gratis!
I work in electronics but I'm curious why there must be a programming? I made sure that my 991 was never unhooked from the original battery as I was installing the new one. Am I missing something?

After hearing the story of the OP getting big $ service quotes, and subsequent damage to his car, I've figured it out: They have to charge more so they can cover the cost of the damages they cause. Rusnak scratched my 996. Walter's cracked my 997 carbon fiber center console.

I support good indies.

Last edited by Upscale Audio; 11-27-2023 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 04:15 PM
SilverSFR
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

The programing comes into play with the voltage charge level of the new battery. STD Flooded vs Lithium vs AGM are all different. If you replaced your OEM AGM battery with a different non OME AGM battery you should not need to re program. if you start switching battery types then a re program might be needed.
Old 11-27-2023, 04:21 PM
Bluey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I work in electronics but I'm curious why there must be a programming? I made sure that my 991 was never unhooked from the original battery as I was installing the new one. Am I missing something?

After hearing the story of the OP getting big $ service quotes, and subsequent damage to his car, I've figured it out: They have to charge more so they can cover the cost of the damages they cause. Rusnak scratched my 996. Walter's cracked my 997 carbon fiber center console.

I support good indies.
Haha that’s a great theory. Maybe that’s all there is to it.

I’m sorry to hear about your 996 and 997. Did they make it right?

Quick Reply: Sanity check on dealer service quotes for a few issues on my 2016 C2