Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car values dropping

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 02:28 PM
Alc
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 202 Posts

….which dealership has inventory? Isnt that what caused the initial price hikes?

Last edited by Alc; 05-25-2022 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:41 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Alc
….which dealership has inventory? Isnt that what caused the initial price hikes?
I was at the Acura dealership and they got tons of new cars on the lot and I asked about the Intregra (for my son) and they said they're getting a shipload in June. I think some are doing better then others with the supply chain. Went to local VW also and they got a few cars, Hyundai no cars (all sold out), etc.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:53 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 163 Posts

love reading how so many folks can read where the economy is headed =). truth be told, if anyone really could tell what was going to happen, you probably wouldn't be here posting about it. you'd be hanging out with Musk, Gates, Bezos etc....because you'd already be one of the richest people on the planet. what's going on now is nothing like what happened in the early 2000's. we had a specific causes back then. it's not just bad mortgages being leveraged across the market this time. today we have a myriad of factors contributing to our faltering economy. covid/war in Europe/deep political division are the biggies but there are more. each one of these factors has several sub components that are reeking havoc on us as well. one quick example would be Covid causing supply chain issues/employment and production problems/feds artificial flood of money into the economy. add all the other factors/subcomponents in and you have what i see as the perfect storm...and things could get a lot worse before they get better (or they could end up fine?? lol)

also enjoy the political implications/opinions stated regarding the economy. just one question though. who was running the show last time the economy went belly up?? hmmm? =). and NO...i'm not a democrat or republican. just pointing out that the economy is not a friend of either party. statistically/historically, the stock market does slightly better with Dem's in charge but NO conclusions can be drawn from this because there are too many none political variables involved. understanding it's "fun" to play politics with EVERYTHING now-a-days, i see this sort of thing daily/everywhere. it's always "their fault" and never "ours" (both parties). it's so easy to twist things in your mind to come to the conclusion you prefer. just be mindful that it's never really that simple.

my point being, no one *knows* what's going to happen. educated/informed opinions are a good thing. they can also cause lots of grief if you take yourself too seriously and think you *really know* what coming. leaning one way or another is fine. we all do it. just don't count on being right and have some hedge/protection in place in case you're wrong.

and yes...i was a licensed financial adviser/planner for a number of years. hated the space and moved on but did learn something very important. always operate under the premis that you don't know everything or near enough to ignore the possibility of being wrong.

The following 7 users liked this post by Levy:
d-- (05-30-2022), Graufuchs (05-30-2022), Gus_Smedstad (06-14-2022), noahabel (05-26-2022), Pb Pedis (06-14-2022), smadill (05-25-2022), soundbehindyou (06-15-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-25-2022, 05:53 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Levy
love reading how so many folks can read where the economy is headed =). truth be told, if anyone really could tell what was going to happen, you probably wouldn't be here posting about it.
I agree to a point. If you look for signs (ie forecasts, earning reports, news events, technical charts) it will show you a lean. Its been very clear since beginning of the year that we hit an apex in the stock market and things been treading downwards since that arena. As of today we are down 20% from market highs but we'll so elevated that there is room for us to go down another 10-30% more. When the dot com bubble crashed in 2000 that was fast but everyone saw the build up to that fall, same for the real estate mortgage crash in 2008. Some people I knew personally saw something wrong in 2008 and got out before things when downhill fast to minimize their financial risks. They weren't the smartest guys but just saw signs and took a position.

my point being, no one *knows* what's going to happen. educated/informed opinions are a good thing. they can also cause lots of grief if you take yourself too seriously and think you *really know* what coming. leaning one way or another is fine. we all do it. just don't count on being right and have some hedge/protection in place in case you're wrong.
I totally agree and hence I state many times this is my view or opinion and not fact. If I was right all the time I wouldn't be waiting to buy a GT3 and just do it cause I don't care about paying way over market value. I feel a certain way, adjusted my financial positions for this lean. If I'm off/wrong so be it.

Old 05-25-2022, 06:05 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

love reading how so many folks can read where the economy is headed =). truth be told, if anyone really could tell what was going to happen, you probably wouldn't be here posting about it. you'd be hanging out with Musk, Gates, Bezos etc....
I read expert's opinions, I see trends. You don't have to be ultra rich to educate yourself about the current financial state of the country, you just have to seek to understand. It is not rocket science mate.
The following users liked this post:
PorscheC2S (05-31-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 06:35 PM
Alc
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 202 Posts

To be fair the OP did start this with a market valuation speculation question. All of them are opinions. The original topic is opinion on whether car, specifically Porsche 911, values will decrease, stabilize, or increase, not what mutual funds/stocks/investments are the best. My opinion, is the new car MSRPs will stabilize and then increase maintaining a percentage increase aligned with inflation, not decrease or be offered with deep discounts. This will directly influence used car prices as well. Higher MSRPs = higher used car demand/values. Please note that this does not mean a used 911 will be worth more used 2 years later just that it will depreciate slower with age/usage. Of course until all vehicles are forced to be 0 emissions compliant then it will be pure chaos.

on a side note: If you are touting one party or the other you will eventually be wrong either way now or in the future so hopefully we can stay away from politics. I think it’s very interesting for the first time I can remember, IMO, the American people have direct control over the future economy which directly equates to the valuation of vehicles unlike in 2008 which was decades of behind the scene policy leading up to it (again IMO). Fascinating times.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:46 PM
Levy
Racer

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
You don't have to be ultra rich to educate yourself about the current financial state of the country
the "current state" is pretty obvious to anyone right now (rich/poor/educated/not educated). i'm talking where things are headed or likely headed. rocket science IS a science and much easier to predict/plan for. economics is another beast all together

if i had a dollar for every time an "economic expert" was wrong, i'd have new GT3 by now =)
Old 05-25-2022, 06:51 PM
Levy
Racer

Originally Posted by Alc
on a side note: If you are touting one party or the other you will eventually be wrong either way now or in the future so hopefully we can stay away from politics..
100% agree
The following users liked this post:
noahabel (05-26-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 06:59 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,296 Likes on 602 Posts

Thread should be renamed "Car Prices Dropping" as values are only going up.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:51 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 434 Likes on 293 Posts

if i had a dollar for every time an "economic expert" was wrong, i'd have new GT3 by now =)
Every time I hear..."an expert says..." I immediately tune out.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:25 PM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Expert = Ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure. 😊
Old 05-26-2022, 11:04 PM
TangoUniform
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Prices are definitely dropping. I've been looking at 991.2's for a couple years now and check various sites and apps daily. A lot of them are sitting on lots and even showing price drops. It looks like we're finally coming back to reality.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:17 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

If 911 values are dropping, the bidders on BAT don't know it. A 2003 996 C4S sold today on BAT for $64.5k. Nice car. 29.000 miles. MSRP was $89k. Wow!
Old 05-27-2022, 09:08 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

$92k for a 2013 C2S: Pre-Owned 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera S
Old 05-27-2022, 10:20 AM
the911nerd
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would anyone be interested in seeing monthly data on used Porsche sales? If so, what would be of interest- like a breakdown by series/model or what would be the most important info to understand ?

Last edited by the911nerd; 05-27-2022 at 10:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Car values dropping