Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC V3, anyone else kind of “meh”?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 01:46 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,991 Likes on 947 Posts

The best realization I had when initially trying to get my head around improving the suspension and "feel' of the 991 can be summed up in one line...

"Why throw hardware at a software problem.."

I am convinced that most owners, including the above average enthusiasts, can find a huge improvement in feel, turn in and handling of the 991 by simply dialing in a DSC + an alignment + Sport Cup 2 tires.

Anything past aggressive camber alignment and DSC V3 ands sticky rubber is for the very serious folks, who are either in very different geographical location or track their car at least semi-occasionally.

just a thought
The following 2 users liked this post by desmotesta:
JWYR (03-19-2022), Pb Pedis (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 10:41 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 654 Posts
Default Perfect...

Originally Posted by desmotesta
The best realization I had when initially trying to get my head around improving the suspension and "feel' of the 991 can be summed up in one line..."Why throw hardware at a software problem.."....I am convinced that most owners, including the above average enthusiasts, can find a huge improvement in feel, turn in and handling of the 991 by simply dialing in a DSC + an alignment + Sport Cup 2 tires....Anything past aggressive camber alignment and DSC V3 ands sticky rubber is for the very serious folks, who are either in very different geographical location or track their car at least semi-occasionally....just a thought
This is my view as well. For myself, I wanted a ride height change and did so with springs. A full on Tractive or KW coilover setup would be so far beyond what I really need, I would wonder every day if I made things worse.
The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 11:11 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

I totally understand the initial post and feeling because if you driving to the grocery store other than a more compliant ride which you forget quickly the benefits of the DSC are not really evident. But once you take the car for a more aggressive stroll the DSC value becomes more obvious. It's a "won't break the bank" upgrade that I think fine tunes an already very good suspension just making it better.

Last edited by Penn4S; 03-16-2022 at 11:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Penn4S:
991_T (03-16-2022), The Ox (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 11:55 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by F355bob
Load the GT3 RS file. I think that would be stiffer than the RS and maybe give you want you want.
Don't do this. Just modify your existing map for a stiffer base setting. Takes 5 min.
The following 2 users liked this post by AdamSanta85:
desmotesta (03-16-2022), Tom@TPC Racing (03-17-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 07:05 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Received 140 Likes on 64 Posts

Personally the DSC is one of the best bang for the buck modifications one can make for a modern Porsche. All modern Porsches are overall great handling sports cars, that is your baseline. There are a couple of factors that need to be considered before proceeding.
- What do you perceive as a problem and what are your expectations to make it better?
- What type of roads do you drive on, nice smooth pavement or like most people lots of crappy pavement and a few nice canyons?
- How do you drive - Like an idiot everywhere or when traffic kind of sucks it's just go with the flow at mostly legal limits - but when the right time and road appear it's time to GO!

My opinion, If you are lucky to drive in an area that has overall smooth and great roads and you constantly drive like a yabo, the DCS with the base settings will not do that much for you. If you drive over a lot of crappy freeways and 2 lanes the base setting of the DSC can be felt as an improvement. However, if you want both more comfort and a more nailed down feel when pushing hard, you have to download and start using the DSC Tuning software and create custom profiles that meet your needs.

If you download the DSC Tuning software it's a must to download the Software & Tuning tutorial from the DCS website as well. It's a very good video on how all the tables and parameters work and how to make adjustments. My suggestion is to save & start with the base files on the DSC. Start making some changes, drive the car on a pre-defined loop/course that works for you. Listen to you "butt" dyno, did I make the car better or worse from my expectations? Either ramp up or ramp down the change you made. Drive your loop again and did you make it better or worse? Go to different parameter tabs and try different settings. Once you start playing with the software, it's pretty amazing how you can affect how the suspension will behave.

For myself I wanted to push the Normal and Sport modes farther apart. Working in the normal mode I have my 911 setup for a very soft and compliant ride. My freeways have broken pavement and freeway hops galore. Most of the 2 lanes have heaves and ripples in the pavement. I now have a better comfort ride in the 911 than my Audi sedan. It's a great setting when flowing with traffic and my wife is in the car. My Sport setting is just the opposite. Going faster means putting more energy through the suspension which needs to be controlled. The DSC allowed me to adjust the rate of change that occurs in the shocks and adjust the shock damping front to rear for both compression and rebound. When pushing on canyon runs, it is nailed down.

If you are not happy with the stock DSC settings, like any tool learn to use the custom profiles to tune to your specific needs.
desmotesta (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 07:16 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
If the car is lowered. def zero the sensors.
You know, I'd like to do this—even if just to be sure. Thanks for entering this thread!
Tom@TPC Racing (03-17-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 08:07 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Don't do this. Just modify your existing map for a stiffer base setting. Takes 5 min.
what changes would you make specifically to tweak the new RS V3 file to address OP's question?
Old 03-16-2022, 11:48 PM
JWYR
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I really like my DSCv3 in my base 991.2. I have a manual and one of the first things I noticed was a reduction of pitch when taking off. The car felt a lot flatter when shifting and accelerating. Then the cornering… I do notice less roll on hard cornering. The car seems to set in to the corner in a much more predictable way. I am very happy with it. I might pull it in few weeks just to feel the difference again. It is definitely something that you just get use to and take for granted after awhile.
Old 03-17-2022, 01:36 PM
Burnt Reynolds
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Brief update, have managed to make some minor adjustments to the Gforce setting and saved a comfort profile and sport profile. Thus far there is now a difference, whereas it previously was a distinction w/ negligable difference IMO. I'll be some fine tuning adjustments to the sport mode Gforce today as well. That said, my first impression after some tweaks to the program has boosted my confidence in the product and desire to keep it.

As a note, the video link attached by Tom above doesn't accurately describe the steps to adjust Gforce as evidenced by a few pm's we exchanged where he confirmed some additional steps are necessary.
Notably, you need to click "read file" first to populate the data fields, and the penultimate step is to select the mode (sport or comfort) in settings prior to the final board reset. Both of these were omitted from the video. My background with suspension has more to do with rebound/compression clicks done manually on my sport bikes and cars - there's a bit of a learning curve for me utilizing the software methodology so bare with me if my lingo is mixed up.

Yesterday went to visit a client about an hour away and the drive home got the long version. Sunny, dry, little traffic and twisties. Spent about 80 miles pushing the car to the end of my comfort zone on public roads with the DSC in full oem configuration. Got a much better feel for how the unit "ramps up" under load and how at higher G's it's a worthy upgrade - if you spend a lot of time/miles driving like that. That said, at more modest speeds I still experienced too much yaw. Again, this was in full oem configuration and is consistent with my first impression(s). After scooping up daughter from dance I returned home, plugged in my laptop and made some changes. Did not have a good opportunity to push the car and test the changes this morning (did notice the new difference between comfort and sport), however I am planning to skip the gym today at lunch and hit some of my well known roads to evaluate.

Old 03-17-2022, 02:52 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnt Reynolds
As a note, the video link attached by Tom above doesn't accurately describe the steps to adjust Gforce as evidenced by a few pm's we exchanged where he confirmed some additional steps are necessary.
Notably, you need to click "read file" first to populate the data fields, and the penultimate step is to select the mode (sport or comfort) in settings prior to the final board reset. Both of these were omitted from the video.
Sorry about that. That video link I posted was only one chapter of a full video. That one chapter describes the G-Force table which I thought was relevant for that particular post. The reading/writing/selecting mode procedures are in the beginning chapter of the full length version of the DSC Software Tutorial Video.
Sorry I should've specified. Glad you're diving in to make adjustments. Happy motoring.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 03-17-2022, 04:05 PM
oncogene1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So noob here! Is this worth purchasing along with b16s
Old 03-17-2022, 04:06 PM
Burnt Reynolds
Advanced

Sorry about that. That video link I posted was only one chapter of a full video. That one chapter describes the G-Force table which I thought was relevant for that particular post. The reading/writing/selecting mode procedures are in the beginning chapter of the full length version of the DSC Software Tutorial Video.
Sorry I should've specified. Glad you're diving in to make adjustments. Happy motoring.
All good, it's why I pm'd you...the narrator went through the writing process at the end of the chapter but it wasn't seeming to work for me. All good now.

For anyone wondering, the base Gforce setting for the newer RS units is 3.0. Above Tom mentioned a 10% increase being quite a bit. My comfort mode setting is increased 33% to 4.0 (and I will still noodle with it). My sport mode setting is increased 100% to 6.0 and feels pretty good based on this mornings outing. I'm figuring a few hundred more miles of aggressive driving on several different loops I hit regularly and I should have these numbers dialed in, if any adjustment at all. I left all other adjustments alone (except ride height).
jfischet (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 04:40 PM
dannyss
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Tom,
Are values in a V3 before Jan 22 interpreted by the V3 after Jan 22 in the same way?
The OP mentions in the above post that he increased the Base Gforce in the sport table from 3 to 6.
Is a base Gforce of 3 the same between the old V3 versus the newest V3?
Basically the question is; if somebody is using certain values in the newest V3, if I use the same values in the old V3, would I get the same results, assuming the same car, same suspension, same etc?
Thanks

Last edited by dannyss; 03-17-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:58 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnt Reynolds
For anyone wondering, the base Gforce setting for the newer RS units is 3.0. Above Tom mentioned a 10% increase being quite a bit. My comfort mode setting is increased 33% to 4.0 (and I will still noodle with it). My sport mode setting is increased 100% to 6.0 and feels pretty good based on this mornings outing. I'm figuring a few hundred more miles of aggressive driving on several different loops I hit regularly and I should have these numbers dialed in, if any adjustment at all. I left all other adjustments alone (except ride height).
When I say add 10% I mean add numeric value of 10 to the existing number. So if the existing number is 3, make that 13! To further clarify, it is adding 10% to the existing value, not of the existing value. The value in the Default Rate is expressed in percentage.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:32 PM
Burnt Reynolds
Advanced

When I say add 10% I mean add numeric value of 10 to the existing number. So if the existing number is 3, make that 13! To further clarify, it is adding 10% to the existing value, not of the existing value. The value in the Default Rate is expressed in percentage.
I’ll try stiffer at some point to see what it’s like but I was pretty happy just going from 3 to 6. Want to give it some time and miles to current setup as well as dissect some more videos.

mostly I was after eliminating body roll and getting back the quick turn-in for modest speed public roads I liked so much about my car. I suppose I’ll tweak some more here and there but I’m very much a set and forget type.

Quick Reply: DSC V3, anyone else kind of “meh”?