Sponsored by:

DSC V3, anyone else kind of “meh”?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 12:57 AM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by F355bob
Load the GT3 RS file. I think that would be stiffer than the RS and maybe give you want you want.
I really wish they’d name a file by the attributes it imparts rather than a 911 model that has no bearing on what 911 model can be used on nor what it’s optimized for.

I’ll try the “GT3 RS” on my Carrera T, not the Carrera T file to my Carrera T. Obviously.

Last edited by Zylinderkopfdichtung; 03-16-2022 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2022, 03:24 AM
na4life
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 52 Posts

I mean FWIW the stock PASM is pretty underwhelming to begin with. On its own the DSC v3 just makes the suspension more compliant in normal driving. Bit more compliant but the stock dampers can’t react quickly enough to stiffen up quickly on corners so you feel more body roll. That said, the grip on a track is actually a bit better I’ve noticed despite the floatier feeling.

suspension mods really make the DSC v3 actually worthwhile. I put tractive/DSC DDA coilovers, GT3 sway bars, TPC control arms, and TPC front track width kit and combined with the DSC it actually is quite a bit more planted than a stock .1 GT3. Thing is, the tractive dampers actually respond lightning fast so the car doesn’t feel sloppy at all. I suspect KW’s offering will probably also be an improvement with the DSC v3 as well.

TL;DR the DSC can react faster than the stock controller but stock PASM/SPASM might not be able to keep up.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:10 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
I felt EXACTLY how most of you feel.. Not "I dont like it, cant feel it, I am removing it'.. but more like "what is it really doing anyways"

UNTIL I took it off my .1 GTS PDK to sell that car. The V3 was so effective that I had forgotten how "bad' stock S-PASM suspension really was (of course in comparison)

The ONE drive without DSC reminded me WHY I added the DSC and Why it was the first thing I added back on my .1 GTS Manual. If you cant feel it, you are one of those people who aren't sensitive to incremental and progressive changes.
The ride with V3 is supple like the Ohlins Race shocks on my Race Superbike felt supple and more comfortable than ****ty stock suspension on My (many) race bikes.

For those who confuse rigidity, harshness and firm suspension for "Good" or "sporty suspension", this is NOT for you. Watch any race car, motorcycle in slow motion (going over bumps) and you will see it literally floating over the bumps. THAT is what V3 does
Plus faster more responsive rebound, compression and damping.

the fact that many owners cannot feel the difference, is a testament to the owner's expectation, experience and dare I say skillset than it is about the product and its effectiveness

Exactly. Mine had to be reprogrammed, sent out the CEL codes etc., huge noticeable difference without it. Reinstalling it this week-end and will report back. The old DSC at Watkins Glen and Summit Point was great, looking forward to the new RS file.

Last edited by The Ox; 03-12-2022 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2022, 03:09 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 128 Posts

I had similar thoughts after installing mine, a bit underwhelmed the the first few miles, not noticing much other than a bit more comfort over uneven surfaces.

However, once I hit the twisties, it was a whole other story. I take the same windy road with elevation changes and quick hairpins, and the 911 handled so much flatter, more neutral, and took off camber turns like a champ. Places where I would feel the 911 become unsettled, or understeer excessively, we’re all but eliminated in street driving.

I think the best way to really feel the difference is to take a road you know very well, drive it, pop in the DSC and take another drive. You’ll definitely feel the difference - it added a lot of confidence to my driving, and has the added benefit of less brake dive and acceleration squat which was important at my power levels.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlexZTuned:
desmotesta (03-12-2022), GT3FZS (03-13-2022), Pb Pedis (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 03:33 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 158 Posts

The DSC is g force, speed etc sensitive. So normal driving may feel like it is not doing anthing until the g forces rise and speed increases

Last edited by F355bob; 03-12-2022 at 05:00 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by F355bob:
desmotesta (03-12-2022), Pb Pedis (03-12-2022), The Ox (03-13-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 07:16 PM
Burnt Reynolds
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

The speed sensitive aspect of some latter comments makes sense to me. Full disclosure, while I've been driving the car daily as per usual, road conditions and time have conspired against getting out for a proper drive. I'll cut out of the office early this week and get after it and report back.
Old 03-14-2022, 06:29 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 966 Likes on 534 Posts

Sorry to hear the DSC controller doesn't meet some of you guys' expectations.

The control logic of the DSC controller is dynamically(actively) commanding each damper to the driver's inputs in real time using a very wide operating range. DSC's operating range is near the full potential of the dampers. For example, the newest DSC controllers has an operating range of 3% to 100% Normal mode, 20% to 100% in Sport mode. Similar to how an ECU controls fuel injectors to the throttle demand, DSC controls the damper stiffness to the driver's input and g-force. So the harder/the more aggressive you drive, the more g-force is produced, the higher the output commands become to stiffen the suspension to counter the g-force load in real time. Also similar to an ECU, when there's little to no throttle activity the output command is at minimum.

The static(base value) stiffness of the OEM PASM controller in Sport is already quite high. So if the expectation of DSC controller is to be even stiffer statically then this expectation won't be met. However, DSC controller will be stiffen beyond OEM when g-force approaches/exceeds 1.0g. Having a wide operating range that starts softer promotes weight distribution to set the tire during initial loading to maximize grip, then progressively stiffens the suspension as g-force increases to the driver fully committing to taking the corner. This control logic can be phrased as adjusting the suspension stiffness to the driver's attitude; Cornering leisurely = nice supple ride. Cornering hard = max output. Dynamic Suspension Control.

Hope this helps.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

The following 10 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
Ajjski (03-18-2022), burnurass (03-16-2022), desmotesta (03-14-2022), IrocMan (07-09-2024), Jeahbladejeah (03-15-2022), myrr (03-14-2022), Sarawnty (03-14-2022), The Ox (03-14-2022), TXGerman (03-15-2022), Zylinderkopfdichtung (03-14-2022) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-14-2022, 11:18 PM
Burnt Reynolds
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
Sorry to hear the DSC controller doesn't meet some of you guys' expectations.

The control logic of the DSC controller is dynamically(actively) commanding each damper to the driver's inputs in real time using a very wide operating range. DSC's operating range is near the full potential of the dampers. For example, the newest DSC controllers has an operating range of 3% to 100% Normal mode, 20% to 100% in Sport mode. Similar to how an ECU controls fuel injectors to the throttle demand, DSC controls the damper stiffness to the driver's input and g-force. So the harder/the more aggressive you drive, the more g-force is produced, the higher the output commands become to stiffen the suspension to counter the g-force load in real time. Also similar to an ECU, when there's little to no throttle activity the output command is at minimum.

The static(base value) stiffness of the OEM PASM controller in Sport is already quite high. So if the expectation of DSC controller is to be even stiffer statically then this expectation won't be met. However, DSC controller will be stiffen beyond OEM when g-force approaches/exceeds 1.0g. Having a wide operating range that starts softer promotes weight distribution to set the tire during initial loading to maximize grip, then progressively stiffens the suspension as g-force increases to the driver fully committing to taking the corner. This control logic can be phrased as adjusting the suspension stiffness to the driver's attitude; Cornering leisurely = nice supple ride. Cornering hard = max output. Dynamic Suspension Control.

Hope this helps.
This does help. Thank you. Essentially, I need to drive more aggressively to experience more of the DSC benefits. Not sure why your previous explanations hadn't "clicked" with me...
That said, since I'm now in sport mode all the time, can I adjust the damping to stiffer from like 20% to 40%? In other words, eliminate the "nice supple ride" as you put it?

I took a long lunch drive on the way to the gym today on some of my closest preferred roads and wasn't really able to get after it due to traffic and road conditions. Though with nicer weather around the corner I'll be able to hit my longer routes w/o much traffic in the mornings and should really be able to push the car and feel the improvements.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:23 PM
D2M
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

Seemed to me like the dampening change was too slow to react with the DSC, like it was always a step behind what the car was doing. I couldn't get close to the G numbers with the DSC in on the street, not because the grip level changed but only because I didn't have the same confidence as with the OEM unit. Im not bashing this product in any way, It definitively made a dramatic difference in the way the car was dampened, as advertised.

Last edited by D2M; 03-14-2022 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:48 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 666 Likes on 294 Posts

I dont think I could achieve these numbers with the stock unit.... This is from my Carrera T. I have been very happy with the way the DSC works.

The following 2 users liked this post by spyderbret:
IrocMan (07-09-2024), Jeahbladejeah (03-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 12:16 AM
D2M
Rennlist Member

Nice, Cup2s on track im guessing?? Im still on OE Pirelli street driving.

Originally Posted by spyderbret
I dont think I could achieve these numbers with the stock unit.... This is from my Carrera T. I have been very happy with the way the DSC works.

Last edited by D2M; 03-15-2022 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:16 AM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 666 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by D2M
Nice, Cup2s on track im guessing?? Im still on OE Pirelli street driving.
Correct! A good combination. Give the track a shot, even stock its a ton of fun!!!
Old 03-15-2022, 11:02 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by D2M
Seemed to me like the dampening change was too slow to react with the DSC, like it was always a step behind what the car was doing. I couldn't get close to the G numbers with the DSC in on the street, not because the grip level changed but only because I didn't have the same confidence as with the OEM unit. Im not bashing this product in any way, It definitively made a dramatic difference in the way the car was dampened, as advertised.
I understand what you mean about confidence in leaning more on the car. I sort of felt the same way the first day I test drove a car with DSC, that was 12 years ago in a 997. At that time I was used to driving stiffly setup cars so I didn't trust the active suspension control to firm up as I had gotten used to the static stiffness before action occurs. It took me some time but I have gotten used to DSC controlling a wide range to dynamic load.

Did you zero the ride height sensors using DSC software? I am asking because you mention of a step behind, the OEM dampers have ~0.1 sec reaction time which is pretty good. It could be that sensor is out of sync. If the car is lowered. def zero the sensors.
Is your DSC controller a new 2021-2022 unit? If yes, its under warranty, send it to DSC to make sure its functioning as intended. If there's an issue then the unit will be replaced under warranty.

Old 03-15-2022, 11:39 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Burnt Reynolds
This does help. Thank you.
Glad to be of service.

Essentially, I need to drive more aggressively to experience more of the DSC benefits. Not sure why your previous explanations hadn't "clicked" with me...
Yes, driving more spiritedly will access the upper range of the dampers. But you can still enjoy the comfort and versatility benefits of DSC for regular commutes.

That said, since I'm now in sport mode all the time, can I adjust the damping to stiffer from like 20% to 40%? In other words, eliminate the "nice supple ride" as you put it?
If you prefer to have a stiffer base value you can make this change quite easily using DSC Tuner software. The base value is referred to as Default Rate in the software. Adding 5% is a noticeable difference. Adding 10% is a significant difference.

Default Rate is circled in the lower left corner of the example screenshot below. The 20.0 value shown in the box represents 20% as the Default Rate(base value) in Sport Mode.

This video link provides further description and demonstrates how to change the Default Rate- https://www.dscsport.com/support-vid...-88236b3c-059d

I took a long lunch drive on the way to the gym today on some of my closest preferred roads and wasn't really able to get after it due to traffic and road conditions. Though with nicer weather around the corner I'll be able to hit my longer routes w/o much traffic in the mornings and should really be able to push the car and feel the improvements.
Cool. Let us know us know how it feel to you.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 03-15-2022 at 12:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
myrr (03-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 01:25 PM
D2M
Rennlist Member

Yes this is exactly what I was talking about. The base setting is stiffer OEM so with the DSC it just felt like it was blowing through too much travel before it stiffened up and the weight transfer would happen too quickly unsettling the balance of the car , especially on fast corner entry. I purchased it in late 2019 so whatever version that was, unfortunately I didn't try zeroing the sensors, I ended up selling the DSC. I knew about the software beforehand but I just didn't want to invest any time in messing with it. No harm, no fowl, I sold for almost what I bought it for, was definitely worth a try.

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
I understand what you mean about confidence in leaning more on the car. I sort of felt the same way the first day I test drove a car with DSC, that was 12 years ago in a 997. At that time I was used to driving stiffly setup cars so I didn't trust the active suspension control to firm up as I had gotten used to the static stiffness before action occurs. It took me some time but I have gotten used to DSC controlling a wide range to dynamic load.

Did you zero the ride height sensors using DSC software? I am asking because you mention of a step behind, the OEM dampers have ~0.1 sec reaction time which is pretty good. It could be that sensor is out of sync. If the car is lowered. def zero the sensors.
Is your DSC controller a new 2021-2022 unit? If yes, its under warranty, send it to DSC to make sure its functioning as intended. If there's an issue then the unit will be replaced under warranty.

Quick Reply: DSC V3, anyone else kind of “meh”?