Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Keep the T and find a way to make it work
54.84%
Sell T and get a 992 with a backseat
25.00%
Sell T and get a Taycan Sport Turismo and risk getting bored
5.65%
Sell T and get an RS6 (last gasp of the V8’s…)
14.52%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

911 dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022 | 09:39 AM
jimmiejam
Racer

With 10' ceilings you should be able to utilize a 4 poster, many do.... It's a $3,500-4,000 solution to the issue at hand.
lots of good information here... https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...age-gallery.7/

Last edited by jimmiejam; 01-31-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-31-2022 | 10:44 AM
ducktails
Racer

Originally Posted by Alc
There are some cars that you will always regret selling. For example I sold a Cadillac CTS-V wagon with a 6-speed…I’ll never have a car like that again.
I'm another member of the 'shouldn't have sold my manual V-Wagon' club! They're occasionally selling on BAT for around their original MSRP. Here's one in a color combination I wouldn't necessarily pick. It's funny because I remember getting ribbed by my non-car-guy friends in 2012 about how I would get murdered on depreciation buying a new Cadillac

Anyway, moral of the story, I agree, if you love the car you'll regret selling it. You can always pick one up down the road used, but you'll likely end up paying a premium for it!

Old 01-31-2022 | 11:36 AM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ICU991812
I'm not seeing the problem here. You have a T manual, and a Panamera that has four doors and back seating. What is the 3rd car? Get rid of the 3rd car. You have your car, your wife has her car, baby will be with wife... no problem I see.
This. You have a baby hauler in the Panamera. If you can't get lift to work then sell the Volt.
The following users liked this post:
ICU991812 (02-01-2022)
Old 01-31-2022 | 05:29 PM
Yc911Kid
Rennlist Member

how about this nicely optioned t with backseat (tho a bit overpriced imo)
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...321813814/NONE
Old 01-31-2022 | 05:32 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've over reacted to babies a couple times... As long as your lower back is in good shape, they fit anywhere, even front seat of a cayman ! Also they fall asleep really well near a flat 6. Don;t over react and spend $$$ - wait and see
Old 02-01-2022 | 10:54 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 996scott
This. You have a baby hauler in the Panamera. If you can't get lift to work then sell the Volt.
Just found out the ceiling in the new garage will only be 8'-6" so lift is a no-go. Plans are final so no changing that.

Wife works 13hr days as a nurse, so Panamera access will be limited to me - she works lot of overtime (roughly works 4 days a week, gone from 6am until 7:45pm).

Buying another T at a hugely inflated price right now would be a tough pill to swallow, especially a potentially less desirable spec than mine.

I really love the car, I just took it last night to my MMA class and getting into the (towel covered!) bucket seats after a rough class is not fun, nor is driving a manual after slamming my legs into heavy bags for an hour.

I know I would regret selling, 100%, but many signs are pointing to "sell".
Old 02-01-2022 | 11:46 AM
Alc
Racer

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
I really love the car, I just took it last night to my MMA class and getting into the (towel covered!) bucket seats after a rough class is not fun, nor is driving a manual after slamming my legs into heavy bags for an hour.
yup, sell T and the Volt. But I’d go with the best ride with most comfortable massaging seats. Mercedes does a nice job. Sell while prices are inflated and make a “profit”. Get on a list for Cayenne GT if you’re hung up on Porsches and can afford it or a Panamera Sport Tourismo Turbo S or GTS for the last gasp of V-8s. But go in it knowing you’re trading sport for comfort and it’s worth it to you. All the best and I hope your T ends up at another good home of an enthusiast.
Old 02-01-2022 | 11:49 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Can the rear seats be installed in a T that didn't have them from the factory? I believe the basic body shell is the same, Of course if you don't have the folding bucket seats, it's a moot point.
Old 02-01-2022 | 11:59 AM
Alc
Racer

Originally Posted by Jim M.
Can the rear seats be installed in a T that didn't have them from the factory? I believe the basic body shell is the same, Of course if you don't have the folding bucket seats, it's a moot point.
Originally Posted by Zylinderkopfdichtung
From another thread:

While investing the installation of rear seats in a factory rear seat delete car I found the above to be accurate. What I discovered on my own is that the seatbelt anchors in the door sills are missing on my car; the holes are there, but no bosses to thread bolts into.
nope…and you wouldn’t be able to get back there to a car seat with buckets if you did.
Old 02-01-2022 | 12:12 PM
K C
Instructor

who said T is not practical for baby? lol i just installed a Wayb on my T and my 2yo sits in it, perfect family car

alternatively i sometimes ask my wife to drive her Etron suv when I have an urge to drive the 911 haha I'd say park the volt somewhere else (street?)

Tincan (*cough taycan) isn't as fun. But if you wanna sell your 911 and take a break from it, this is the market to do so

Last edited by K C; 02-01-2022 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-01-2022 | 12:16 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately if you cant stay with 3 cars, I would sell the T. Kids require hauling a lot of stuff.

We had our first about 18 months ago. Wife is also a nurse that USED to work a lot of overtime. Babies change priorities and people, mostly for the good If we didn't have two SUV's I don't think I would have the 911.

What about renting an off premises garage? At one point a few friends and I had a shared garage.

I've got a 991.1 S w/ PDK that fits a baby seat that I would gladly trade for that T (plus $$$) if you give me the heads up....

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 02-01-2022 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2022 | 12:23 PM
991Targa4S
Rennlist Member

Install a folding seat in the passenger side and anchor the baby seat in back.
Old 02-01-2022 | 12:51 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Get a Macan GTS. Not a 911 but a good all-around compromise.
Old 02-01-2022 | 12:52 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Unfortunately if you cant stay with 3 cars, I would sell the T. Kids require hauling a lot of stuff.

We had our first about 18 months ago. Wife is also a nurse that USED to work a lot of overtime. Babies change priorities and people, mostly for the good If we didn't have two SUV's I don't think I would have the 911.

What about renting an off premises garage? At one point a few friends and I had a shared garage.

I've got a 991.1 S w/ PDK that fits a baby seat that I would gladly trade for that T (plus $$$) if you give me the heads up....
I hear you, it's quite the conundrum for me right now. I suspect that my wife will work a bit less soon enough.

Off-premise is a good idea, would just be tough to find here and I would definitely end up driving the car less than I usually do.

PM me some details on the 991.1, that is an interesting option.

And for those that asked: a baby seat is a total no-go for my car - the buckets don't allow egress into the back and there is no ability to add a baby seat at all in the back (no LATCH support).

Old 02-02-2022 | 03:03 AM
kwc
AutoX

Been in this exact dilemma about six ago with my first child and went around a couple of car options to see what worked. Having a baby, while amazing and a life changing event, comes with a lot of gear, including car seats, strollers, and toys to name a few. During the time, I opted for a Macan S (they didn't have the GTS at the time otherwise would've gotten that), and it was the perfect kid-mobile.

That was my first Porsche and the experience was amazing that ended up getting a 997 a couple years later. I ended up letting go of both as I had another kid and thought I needed an even larger car.

Cut to me today, and both cars are gone, and I maybe regret letting go of both. So much so that I've recently purchased in the last couple of months a 991.2 to enjoy with my now preschooler and 1st grader.

There isn't a point to the story really, but just wanted to share that life comes and goes, and so do decisions and cars. What you'll end up with is something you'll enjoy in the moment, until it passes, and there will be another car in the future waiting for you.

Good luck!

Last edited by kwc; 02-02-2022 at 03:04 AM.

Quick Reply: 911 dilemma