Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Keep the T and find a way to make it work
54.84%
Sell T and get a 992 with a backseat
25.00%
Sell T and get a Taycan Sport Turismo and risk getting bored
5.65%
Sell T and get an RS6 (last gasp of the V8’s…)
14.52%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

911 dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2022 | 10:24 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
What about renting an off premises garage? At one point a few friends and I had a shared garage.
+991
Old 02-02-2022 | 01:58 PM
R N M
Racer

If i were you - I would get rid of the Volt, keep the T then get the new G80 xdrive M3. This will be the closest to the Porsche driving experience in a new 4 door family type car.

The RS6 while very powerful is more of a luxury rocket and not a playful sport sedan.

The T will always be around $100k car especially one that is low mileage and has manual transmission. I think you will regret selling a special car like that for a “family” car. Also I don’t get why you would want your wife driving your cars especially if she has her own?

Old 02-02-2022 | 02:07 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R N M
If i were you - I would get rid of the Volt, keep the T then get the new G80 xdrive M3. This will be the closest to the Porsche driving experience in a new 4 door family type car.

The RS6 while very powerful is more of a luxury rocket and not a playful sport sedan.

The T will always be around $100k car especially one that is low mileage and has manual transmission. I think you will regret selling a special car like that for a “family” car. Also I don’t get why you would want your wife driving your cars especially if she has her own?
The main issue is the lack of garage space. So keeping the T and adding another car is the problem - my wife's Panamera is a great kid hauler but she works 13hr shifts (nurse) and if I need to take the kid somewhere with my car, it's an impossibility in the T - and she can't drive stick so it limits options. I get it and I know I'm going to regret it, but I'm struggling to add 3k miles a year on the T so it's already a very limited use vehicle for me, if I stored it off-site I would be lucky to get 1k miles a year on it. To me, that's a lot of money sitting around not being used.

The G80 xdrive is a compelling option, very fast and tunable but that snout... I guess it's not too bad in dark colors. Could save me $45k vs. an RS6 though.
Old 02-02-2022 | 02:14 PM
R N M
Racer

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
I hear you, it's quite the conundrum for me right now. I suspect that my wife will work a bit less soon enough.

Off-premise is a good idea, would just be tough to find here and I would definitely end up driving the car less than I usually do.

PM me some details on the 991.1, that is an interesting option.

And for those that asked: a baby seat is a total no-go for my car - the buckets don't allow egress into the back and there is no ability to add a baby seat at all in the back (no LATCH support).
I have 2 kids and my wife went on maternity leave for 6months + each time. So when you actually do have a baby, her car will be sitting unused for majority of the time.

When we had our 2nd baby, i did get rid of my F80 as I couldn’t fit 2 baby seats etc in the back so had to get a Subaru. 18 months later I ordered a new F80 which i still have along with my T now lol
Old 02-02-2022 | 02:16 PM
Levy
Racer

Originally Posted by Greg D.
I've over reacted to babies a couple times... As long as your lower back is in good shape, they fit anywhere, even front seat of a cayman ! Also they fall asleep really well near a flat 6. Don;t over react and spend $$$ - wait and see
+1/Ain't that the truth!

plenty of time to sort this out if anything needs to be sorted out. sh*t happens and things change. why box yourself in way before you have to??. no harm in thinking/talking about it but don't do anything until something needs to be done imho. this is especially true when it comes to getting rid of a sweet 911. none of your options go away completely by waiting. these options may shift a bit but you'll always be able to remedy this possible situation at the last minute if you really need to.

Old 02-02-2022 | 04:41 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Default T

totally agree!
think it out
Originally Posted by Zylinderkopfdichtung;[url=tel:17940856
17940856[/url]]I have been you before. I also have a manual T with carbon buckets. Before having kids we lived in a townhouse and had a Cayman S. We sold it. That was a mistake.

First, exercise patience. A baby is at least 9 months away; probably a year or more away. You have time.

I believe you should resist the urge to find the “do-it-all” car. I tried. My car friend guys tried. We all failed. An RS6/M3 is as good as a do-it-all as you’ll find. An RS6/M3 is no Carrera T. What you love about the T doesn’t exist in an RS6, and the RS6 is redundant with the Panamera.

I may be very biased, but a Carrera T with a manual and carbon buckets is far more interesting and fun than any other 911 with a rear seat.

Keep the T, street park the Volt, and find a way to make it work.

Mine:

Old 02-02-2022 | 08:16 PM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Have you looked into an offsite garage or parking that you could rent for the T? Child seats in a 911 would get old really quickly, but so would giving up something you love for a babymobile. If you could keep the T relatively nearby and grab it on weekends, it might be an option.
Old 02-03-2022 | 05:13 AM
frederik
Racer

I have three kids (aged 5-10) and they love the 911. As long as you have a regular three-point belt in the T, and you can turn the airbag off, there is no reason you can't take your baby in it. Don't make the mistake of selling your 911 and going for a "regular" car like the RS6. I have a 535i as well for the family and it is fast enough but so boring to drive. You're going to regret that. Life is boring enough and especially with a baby at home, you're going to savor every minute of 911-driving.

The only thing you could reasonably do is swap the T for a 991 or 992 with regular seats and back seats, and make sure your wife can drive it too.
Old 02-03-2022 | 08:06 AM
TomiK
Instructor

I voted keep the T, but reading your particular situation, it looks like that's going to be difficult. If it had regular seat belts, it would work - I use my 991.2 S as the kid/dog hauler in the week as I much prefer it over my Macan S (which is now parked in a garage 20 miles away and used on the occasional weekend away). My wife has a Golf GTi (we also only have a two-car garage) as a run around as she doesn't like driving the Macan (too big) or the 991.2 (too noisy) :-)

While I don't have small kids (mine is 10 and fits perfectly in the back for now), if I was in your situation, I would probably sell the T and get a Macan GTS for a few years, then look for a clean 991.2 S or T with regular seats that your wife and kid (and dog) can enjoy. Just remember, while it is a sporty SUV, a Macan is nowhere near a 911.

All the best with your decision.
Old 02-03-2022 | 11:11 AM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

I've been in your shoes. At the time we were having our daughter, I had a Boxster. Obviously no back seat and I didn't have the option of doing a lift at the time.
So, I did the adult thing and bought a four-door BMW 330 with a manual. Was it as fun to drive as the Porsche? No. Did I modify the crap out of it to make it better - hell yeah! I ended up tracking the car for eight years and it was a total blast to drive. Was having a four-door worth it at the time - totally. I needed it in order to get her in and out of the car and could easily take the family, plus luggage or strollers or bags or anything else I needed. It was completely worth it.
After the 330, I got a 2015 GTI, again, with a manual. I modified the crap out of it as well (I have my SCCA and BMWCCA comp license, so driving anything that is stock is a bit boring to me). This car has 400hp, weighs just under 3,000lbs. and has $5k in suspension mods. It is a blast!

I longed for a sportscar again and my wife saw that it was something that I really wanted.
Fast forward to last year and I've gotten myself a 991.2 C2. My daughter fits in the back seat without a problem. Even my 911 is modified (see note above). Yes, it's a manual, but my wife enjoys driving manual.

A new 992 with a PDK would be a good option, but as you stated, you need room in the car to haul things for work, so that's not really going to work. Push hard to see if you can do a lift. I believe that a single post mount might give you the most versatility in that regard.
In the end, do what's best for your family. Yes, it sucks at times, but you can ALWAYS get it back when the time is right. Nothing has to be forever.
Old 02-03-2022 | 12:58 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

The "T" is a very special car....cute, and muy macho at the same time...those carbon bucket seats? They look to be incredible.

How mant "T' cars were made and sold in the US? Not that many, don't have the exact # but it wasn't many.
Old 02-03-2022 | 01:52 PM
afk
Racer

RS6 all the way!

Hands down the better option
Old 02-06-2022 | 04:15 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Hi All,

I appreciate all of the replies and insight on this. I am really trying to be pragmatic and as much as I want to find a way to keep the car, storing off-site is the only option and I know I’ll never drive the thing in that scenario. If I sell, I won’t be gone from the 911 world forever, I’m still a young guy (37) and still have a Porsche in the garage (Panamera) so I think I’ll still be allowed at the PCA meets .

I am going to put some feelers out to see if anyone wants to make me a reasonable offer on RENNLIST first. Here’s a quick rundown on the car.

2018 Carrera T
7 speed manual
11,500 miles
GT Silver
Carbon buckets
T interior (silver gray stitching)
Alcantara wheel / shift ****
heated wheel
LCA
no sun roof / no rear seats
lightweight glass
no dash wart (sport chrono clock)
partial clear bra on front and door handle cups
no wheel rash, no dents, no scratches - minor pits in windshield and headlights (impossible to avoid).

Zero issues, oil changed roughly every 3k miles. Title in hand (no lien). Tires still have good life in them and car is generally babied at all times. Car cover included.

Would like to see it go to another enthusiast, and not in a big rush to sell - won’t be moving until October.

A few pics:

Old 02-06-2022 | 10:49 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

I have a T and an RS5 (and an A4 for the wife and GTI for the kids)…

The T stays in Storage. It is a weekend playtime car, and is special when I go get it. I am happy to thrash it on the track 6-12 times a year, and a few canyon rides… otherwise, I’ll keep the miles on the cheaper cars.

While I lusted after an RS6 for (what) 15 years hoping it would get here… I am over it. Frankly my RS5 is fine, but not much more fun than the GTI. For me the fun car is the T, and nothing else.

Store the T. Keep the Volt.
Old 02-07-2022 | 10:35 AM
kcsf
Track Day

Hello. I've recently joined Rennlist to seek information and a T almost exactly like yours. Being that I'm fresh here, I can't seem to dm you. Please email me as I'd really like to speak to you about your car. Thanks.

Keith
kthcrow@gmail.com

Quick Reply: 911 dilemma