Sponsored by:

DSC V3 Controllers Back In Stock - Featuring Our **New RS Calibration**

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 09:28 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
Sorry, I'm having trouble following this. So are purchasers of the previous DSC 3 upset because DSC improved it and didn't change the name of the model and offer free or discounted upgrades to every who bought the older version?
Pretty sure most of us are huge fans of DSC and just facepalming about their decision to release a new version with the same name as the old one, but different features. Many of us are from the tech world and it's just completely unacceptable to do this because it will lead to confusion for resellers, both official and private, and someone (not the people here) will curse DSC because "they were tricked". Not by DSC, but by someone taking advantage of the identical names.

We complain because we care, and don't want DSC to get any bad press or bad feelings from users. I mean, we're begging them to rename it because it makes a stronger case for people wanting to buy a new version!

I think we should just ignore DSC and have a social contract among the enthusiasts to refer to "V3 Jan/2022 onwards" as "V3.1". Please put a sticker on the outside, or even just a sharpie, label it DSC Sport V3.1 and it will save some heartache later.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tangerine:
CT_Peter (01-22-2022), poorshoeless (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 11:33 PM
jeunge
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the name being the same isn't the core issue that is frustrating people. Even if this was named v3.x, it would still leave customers who bought it close to the cutoff feeling a little misled.
The product was advertised in a way that would clearly lead the consumer to believe that they would get all new updates for your model via updated maps.
Those customers would probably completely understand if this new firmware version was for a newer vehicle such as 992 etc.

I am one of those who purchased a couple months too early to have this v3 1/2021 and hope that there could be an upgrade program (with fee) or something along those lines.
Currently I am very happy with O.G. v3 with gt3 touring file and am awaiting reviews on the new firmware/rs file. The marketing above makes it sound like the new firmware is leaps and bounds better than old firmware with touring file which probably adds to people's frustration. Once those reviews come out I might consider selling and rebuying if the differences justify the price difference.
The following users liked this post:
718spyder (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 03:38 AM
F1SML8R
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 85 Posts

I still don't get why DSC wouldn't just offer an upgrade program? I don't think anyone is asking for a free upgrade. I have to believe most would be willing to pay 40% to 60% of the retail cost for an upgrade option. It just seems like hard cold cash is being left on the table here...
The following 3 users liked this post by F1SML8R:
718spyder (01-22-2022), dannyss (01-22-2022), Sarawnty (01-22-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 01:49 PM
MaddGTS
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can someone explain what exactly the DSC Controller does and why Porsche wouldn't have implemented the same tuning from the factory?

Everyone raves about how it changes the handling & ride (in both extremes of comfort and sport settings), so I'm curious as to why Porsche wouldn't have done that from the factory, especially if it's just a change in tuning?

My understanding is DSC is a s/w solution that provides its own tuning parameters for the factory active dampening shocks. If that is accurate, what's the downside for Porsche to implement this themselves?

Apologies if it's a dumb question. I understand why Porsche wouldn't bring a header or exhaust like Soul or Kline to the market as they have other considerations (emissions, etc..) but for a purely s/w solution like DSC that doesn't impact reliability (I think?) or other commercial constraints, I'm confused why Porsche wouldn't do it themselves.

Apologies for the dumb question. ​​​​​​​
Old 01-23-2022, 07:00 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddGTS
Can someone explain what exactly the DSC Controller does and why Porsche wouldn't have implemented the same tuning from the factory?

Everyone raves about how it changes the handling & ride (in both extremes of comfort and sport settings), so I'm curious as to why Porsche wouldn't have done that from the factory, especially if it's just a change in tuning?

My understanding is DSC is a s/w solution that provides its own tuning parameters for the factory active dampening shocks. If that is accurate, what's the downside for Porsche to implement this themselves?

Apologies if it's a dumb question. I understand why Porsche wouldn't bring a header or exhaust like Soul or Kline to the market as they have other considerations (emissions, etc..) but for a purely s/w solution like DSC that doesn't impact reliability (I think?) or other commercial constraints, I'm confused why Porsche wouldn't do it themselves.

Apologies for the dumb question. ​​​​​​​

Its an accessible damper control module which allows someone to change damper parameters via software on a laptop, where the OEM module is not accessible, and damper settings cannot be modified. Its basically an onboard COBB Access Port for the dampers.

More info here: https://www.dscsport.com/

As far as why didn't Porsche implement the same tuning from the factory, if you look at the software pages that are configurable via the DSC module, you'll see that there are potentially thousands of different damping levels alone, then multiply that by the possible damping curves, based on G-Force, speed, braking levels, etc. The suspension button only allows for (2) modes, of the aforementioned possibilities. Which (2) are best for the thousands who buy the car, over various countries around the world?
The following users liked this post:
4 Point 0 (01-25-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 02:47 PM
myrr
Pro

Received 312 Likes on 154 Posts

Ordered today - hoping this will help w/ our crap roads around here....
Old 02-02-2022, 03:02 AM
myrr
Pro

Installed today - a quick drive around the neighborhood was all I could do -flat tire- great timing ha!

Curious if TPC could explain the way this works - so is there essentially 6 modes then since the sport suspension button is no longer tied to sport+?

if that’s the case would it be normal, normal / sport suspension, sport, sport / sport suspension, sport plus, sport plus / sport suspension in order of least to most aggressive?
Old 02-02-2022, 09:52 AM
acwild70
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by myrr
Installed today - a quick drive around the neighborhood was all I could do -flat tire- great timing ha!

Curious if TPC could explain the way this works - so is there essentially 6 modes then since the sport suspension button is no longer tied to sport+?

if that’s the case would it be normal, normal / sport suspension, sport, sport / sport suspension, sport plus, sport plus / sport suspension in order of least to most aggressive?
I had asked the same question in another thread I think - but the answer I got was YES. 6 modes now and most run in Sport with suspension on - I went out and tried all 6 and have to agree but it was a fun day trying all 6

jay
Old 02-02-2022, 01:31 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

^ My understanding is that there are only two modes given it over-rides Porsche's settings completely. You switch between the two manually using the sport suspension switch (picture of the shock absorber). The benefit is you have control of your suspension mode independent of the other settings.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:43 PM
myrr
Pro

I'd like to confirm this w/ TPC - hoping they'll chime in!
Old 02-02-2022, 01:46 PM
Nathan_
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

There are two suspension maps (look in the DSC tuner software).

You can toggle between those two modes using the damper button in the car, engine mode (normal, sport, sport+) has no impact on damper behaviour.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nathan_:
4 Point 0 (02-02-2022), Tom@TPC Racing (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 02:00 PM
myrr
Pro

Good to know! TY - haven't messed around w/ the software as of yet.
Old 02-02-2022, 03:11 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by acwild70
I had asked the same question in another thread I think - but the answer I got was YES. 6 modes now and most run in Sport with suspension on - I went out and tried all 6 and have to agree but it was a fun day trying all 6

jay
Originally Posted by the_buch
^ My understanding is that there are only two modes given it over-rides Porsche's settings completely. You switch between the two manually using the sport suspension switch (picture of the shock absorber). The benefit is you have control of your suspension mode independent of the other settings.
I'd like to confirm this w/ TPC - hoping they'll chime in!
This is a copy and paste from another 991 thread-

"With DSC installed the Suspension mode selection becomes independent from Engine/PDK mode selection.
There are only two Suspension modes, the two Suspension modes are Normal and Sport.
Sport PLUS is not a Suspension mode. Sport PLUS is a mode for the Engine/PDK.
With the stock PASM controller when Sport PLUS is activated, it bundles the Suspension Sport mode.
With DSC installed, the Suspension mode switching is not bundled to the Engine/PDK mode since DSC's Suspension mode switching is independent.
As you have pointed out, DSC remembers the Suspension mode that's last used, so the next time the car is started it remains in that mode.
With DSC installed the only way to switch Suspension mode between Normal and Sport is by using the Suspension button.
This is a feature, not a bug. "

In each DSC mode the dynamic suspension stiffness command range is very wide; DSC Normal mode range for the new 2022 controllers is 3% to 100% , DSC Sport mode range is 20% to 100%.
I find that most drivers with DSC just leaves the Suspension mode in Sport since DSC's dynamic range covers the entire min and max of the stock PASM controller.
No, it is not possible to make DSC Suspension mode bundle to Engine/PDK PLUS mode.
Why? Because it is completely unnecessary to increase suspension static stiffness by 40-50% without dynamic load.

Thread copied from(post #167)- https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1101...module-12.html

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 02-02-2022 at 04:15 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
acwild70 (02-02-2022), Kelsey (02-02-2022), myrr (02-02-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 09:01 PM
myrr
Pro

Following up - got to take the car out for a quick spirited drive last night. Happy to report back that the DSC was a solid upgrade for me. Wish I would’ve done it sooner. Definitely a smoother ride. Much nicer.

I’m not a professional or even amateur racer - but I am hyper critical ha. Any improvement is ride quality is worth it to me. Our roads in King and Pierce County are so jacked up, it’s nice to have a bit of a reprieve from the bumps.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:12 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 191 Posts

It's been about a month now. Will you guys make software available for us to download soon? =)
The following 3 users liked this post by isugoo:
smgkc (02-26-2022), Sulzy (02-15-2022), Zylinderkopfdichtung (02-06-2022)

Quick Reply: DSC V3 Controllers Back In Stock - Featuring Our **New RS Calibration**