Sponsored by:

DSC V3 Controllers Back In Stock - Featuring Our **New RS Calibration**

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 04:59 PM
Clubspec330i
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
Yes, def clears it up. Thanks!! But leads to another Question…..does the new RS calibration supersede the GT3 Touring file?
I just talked to Tom. It seems that RS is an evolution and supersede GT3 Touring.

I just placed an order for my '19 T less than 2 hours ago and already got a confirmation that the unit has been shipped. However, I have requested that I be programmed with a GT3 Touring file for comparison.
WOW! What a quick service! I can't wait to try it out.

Thank you, Tom @ DSC.

Cheers,

Mack
The following users liked this post:
Tom@TPC Racing (01-11-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 05:23 PM
TPG
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeahbladejeah
@DSC Sport @Tom@TPC Racing sorry to bring this up again, but I don't think this line of questions was answered. Is there a way to get the updated firmware for pre-01/2021 v3 controllers?
I’d also like to know about this too.

And how would I know what firmware my v3 has?
Old 01-10-2022, 05:31 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
After 20,000+ miles with DSC, and a lot of seat time in various TPC cars, it's worth every penny—you're not paying for a control box; you're paying for some of the best knowledge in the business.

What I'd love to know from Tom is whether TPC has cooked up a suspension hardware setup it likes for the 991.2 Carrera/S/T this side of Tractive dampers, because I'd love to find a linear-rate alternative to TechArt springs—and maybe consider ARBs too. Want to keep my Carrera a comfortable street car, not a track car…but would love to add some of the magic I've experienced in Mike's setups over the years.
Elephant racing has some linear springs in their setups, but I know people are super excited about their adjustable retrofits.
stout (01-12-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 08:05 PM
acwild70
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Just Ordered for my .1 2S manual. Can’t wait to try it out!

Jay
Old 01-10-2022, 11:23 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Clubspec330i
I just talked to Tom. It seems that RS is an evolution and supersede GT3 Touring.

I just placed an order for my '19 T less than 2 hours ago and already got a confirmation that the unit has been shipped. However, I have requested that I be programmed with a GT3 Touring file for comparison.
WOW! What a quick service! I can't wait to try it out.

Thank you, Tom @ DSC.

Cheers,

Mack
Good to know, thanks! What made you want to go with the GTS touring file over the new RS? What are the differences between the 2?
Old 01-11-2022, 01:26 AM
uphoto
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 133 Posts

FINALLY ordered one for the GTS.

Really excited, even though the roads are too frozen around here to push the car to test it!
Old 01-11-2022, 08:11 AM
AKKutz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Had the complete set-up on my C7....controller and Tractive shocks. Loved it. Thought I'd keep the P-car stock....well, that didn't last long..... ordered!
The following 2 users liked this post by AKKutz:
acwild70 (01-11-2022), Tom@TPC Racing (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 06:23 PM
DSC Sport
Former Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan_
Are pre 01/2021 v3 devices excluded for a reason - is the hardware different or something?)
Originally Posted by Tangerine
Also interested in why older V3 controllers can't get the new mapping/firmware. Is there a miscommunication somewhere? If they aren't able to be updated due to some other change it seems more appropriate to call them V3.1 or V3.5 to avoid confusion.
Originally Posted by Jeahbladejeah
@DSC Sport @Tom@TPC Racing sorry to bring this up again, but I don't think this line of questions was answered. Is there a way to get the updated firmware for pre-01/2021 v3 controllers?
Thank you for the questions. We do not offer firmware change. The firmware combined with the hardware type creates a version of the DSC controller for a specific vehicle, including the generation of the vehicle, and the generation of the controller(the device) itself. Each generation of the device has been thoroughly tested to meet specific performance criteria for that generation. You could think of it as like a car manufacturer for example, each generation of car is the best produced at the time of that design. Also like car manufacturing, suspension tuning is an evolving technology, to which we take pride in developing every generation of our controllers to our best for the 9x1 cars since 2014. Each generation of DSC controller has been highly praised by users evident by the all of the positive reviews since 2014. Like other manufacturers of products, we have to keep selling new products in order to stay business. Which is why we do not try to change a previous generation device to the newest. Whether you have a 2014, 2017, or 2019 generation DSC controller it is not a bad thing in any way. Each generation controller have many merits and received many praises from users. For example, the 2018-2019 DSC controllers received so many glowing reviews with our "GT3 Tour" file. So if you have that generation of DSC controller with our GT3 Tour file and love it, then there's no need to change it. Some drivers must have the newest year car and/or newest year product(s) for the car with the best engineering at the time, which there's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, and if that is how you roll then we are delighted to furnish your ride with our newest. If you have the previous generation DSC V3 controller we still have what is considered the best calibration file on our website for download. Or you can custom tune your calibration to your personal preference using our self-service resource. Below is a youtube to video to show how to identify the generation/type of a DSC controller. Knowing the generation and type is useful to find the calibration file(s) available, should you decide you want to make a change. Hope it is helpful. As a separate note, the 01/2021+ DSC V3 controller is likely to be the final generation of controller for the 9x1 cars.

Last edited by DSC Sport; 01-11-2022 at 06:27 PM.
Jimmyk79 (01-26-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 06:41 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Thank you for the questions. We do not offer firmware change. The firmware combined with the hardware type creates a version of the DSC controller for a specific vehicle, including the generation of the vehicle, and the generation of the controller(the device) itself. Each generation of the device has been thoroughly tested to meet specific performance criteria for that generation. You could think of it as like a car manufacturer for example, each generation of car is the best produced at the time of that design.
Makes complete sense, my only critique is that in the car world we have distinctions like 991.1, 991.2 etc. If it was called DSC V3.1 it would have avoided all this confusion.

I anticipate much confusion when these things are resold by users on the marketplace.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tangerine:
cbredesen (02-28-2024), Jeahbladejeah (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 06:47 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 121 Posts

Makes complete sense, my only critique is that in the car world we have distinctions like 991.1, 991.2 etc. If it was called DSC V3.1 it would have avoided all this confusion.
One hundred percent.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:15 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
After 20,000+ miles with DSC, and a lot of seat time in various TPC cars, it's worth every penny—you're not paying for a control box; you're paying for some of the best knowledge in the business.

What I'd love to know from Tom is whether TPC has cooked up a suspension hardware setup it likes for the 991.2 Carrera/S/T this side of Tractive dampers, because I'd love to find a linear-rate alternative to TechArt springs—and maybe consider ARBs too. Want to keep my Carrera a comfortable street car, not a track car…but would love to add some of the magic I've experienced in Mike's setups over the years.
Thank you, Stout!

We have been working on a linear-rate spring kit, but unfortunately this came to a pause due to labor shortage on the entry-level work causing the core technical people to pull double and even triple duties. Sway bars we have! Mike Levitas developed TPC 991 sway bars for PCA Club Racing back in 2015. The TPC 991 bars are 28.8mm 5-hole Front / 25.7mm 4-hole Rear. They have wider range than OEM GT3, more increments for adjustment, and they fit non-PDCC 991 cars better than OEM GT3 bars. The bars add significant roll resistance during cornering without adding much stiffness driving straight over bumps. Nice pairing with DSC for sure.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 01-11-2022, 08:19 PM
acwild70
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Thank you for the questions. We do not offer firmware change. The firmware combined with the hardware type creates a version of the DSC controller for a specific vehicle, including the generation of the vehicle, and the generation of the controller(the device) itself. Each generation of the device has been thoroughly tested to meet specific performance criteria for that generation. You could think of it as like a car manufacturer for example, each generation of car is the best produced at the time of that design. Also like car manufacturing, suspension tuning is an evolving technology, to which we take pride in developing every generation of our controllers to our best for the 9x1 cars since 2014. Each generation of DSC controller has been highly praised by users evident by the all of the positive reviews since 2014. Like other manufacturers of products, we have to keep selling new products in order to stay business. Which is why we do not try to change a previous generation device to the newest. Whether you have a 2014, 2017, or 2019 generation DSC controller it is not a bad thing in any way. Each generation controller have many merits and received many praises from users. For example, the 2018-2019 DSC controllers received so many glowing reviews with our "GT3 Tour" file. So if you have that generation of DSC controller with our GT3 Tour file and love it, then there's no need to change it. Some drivers must have the newest year car and/or newest year product(s) for the car with the best engineering at the time, which there's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, and if that is how you roll then we are delighted to furnish your ride with our newest. If you have the previous generation DSC V3 controller we still have what is considered the best calibration file on our website for download. Or you can custom tune your calibration to your personal preference using our self-service resource. Below is a youtube to video to show how to identify the generation/type of a DSC controller. Knowing the generation and type is useful to find the calibration file(s) available, should you decide you want to make a change. Hope it is helpful. As a separate note, the 01/2021+ DSC V3 controller is likely to be the final generation of controller for the 9x1 cars.

https://youtu.be/Lw1sVBxSHtA

just curious. Why would this V3 be the final Gen?

thanks

jay

Old 01-12-2022, 09:56 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

I anticipate much confusion when these things are resold by users on the marketplace.
Agreed. Shortsighted on the product naming, otherwise a truly awesome and a game-changing product.

For the second-hand market, I'd imagine savvy buyers who have done their research would ask the seller to provide the generation date via DSC software. Something like in the used Rolex wrist watch market buyers would ask the seller to remove the watch band to capture image of the serial number...
Old 01-12-2022, 11:30 AM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 121 Posts

@Tom@TPC Racing Tom, for those of us interested in selling our existing old v3 and upgrading to the new v3, can you clarify what differences there are between the two? What benefits would one expect to see in the newer vs. the older model?
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeahbladejeah:
jeunge (01-12-2022), Targe19 (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 01:18 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
Thank you, Stout!

We have been working on a linear-rate spring kit, but unfortunately this came to a pause due to labor shortage on the entry-level work causing the core technical people to pull double and even triple duties. Sway bars we have! Mike Levitas developed TPC 991 sway bars for PCA Club Racing back in 2015. The TPC 991 bars are 28.8mm 5-hole Front / 25.7mm 4-hole Rear. They have wider range than OEM GT3, more increments for adjustment, and they fit non-PDCC 991 cars better than OEM GT3 bars. The bars add significant roll resistance during cornering without adding much stiffness driving straight over bumps. Nice pairing with DSC for sure.

Thanks Tom! Understood, and I will stand by re: a spring set to pair with DSC. In an ideal world, they have adjustable collars, are compatible with FAL, and have spring rates that favor back roads > track (but don't blink at a day on the latter).

Good to know where I'm headed for ARBs—those look great. I still think about some of TPC's setups on the cars Mike sent out here, and his red supercharged 993 Carrera comes up again and again in conversation as the high-water mark of air-cooled handling on back roads. And the car rode beautifully, too. If a little—or a lot—of that magic can be brought into a 991.2, color me very interested but in no big hurry…just bought the car out of lease and it's a keeper.
Tom@TPC Racing (01-13-2022)

Quick Reply: DSC V3 Controllers Back In Stock - Featuring Our **New RS Calibration**