DSC V3 Controllers Back In Stock - Featuring Our **New RS Calibration**

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 06:02 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
@DSC Sport @Tom@TPC Racing
Posting this question out of curiosity after driving a friend's 991.2 T today. He recently upgraded to GTS turbos and a tune. Needless to say, it's a whole new beast with amazing power and is extremely fast. So much so, that you experience a bit of wheel hop or loss of traction when shifting gears under hard acceleration. Tires definitely have something to do with this and that will be addressed. Car is lowered on Tech Art or H&R springs (I forget which). This is primarily a street car / daily driver that gets driven spiritedly. He has the latest DSC but all settings are unchanged from new. How much can changing the DSC settings help? Any specific recommendations that you would make for the settings to address this specific issue?
What tires is he running?

Dsc wouldnt change the lack of traction or hop, but I could be wrong.
Old 07-01-2024, 07:11 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
What tires is he running?

Dsc wouldnt change the lack of traction or hop, but I could be wrong.
PS4S but he is switching to Cup 2s.

My thinking is that maybe there's a way to keep the rear of the car better/more planted under hard acceleration which would reduce the wheel hop.
Old 07-01-2024, 10:35 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts

You can make changes to the rear compression and rebound in the velocity tables to reduce the hop. I just can't tell you HS/MS/LS as I don't know the frequency of the wheel hop. I would start with high speed rebound and compression on the rear in increments of +1-2. Do rebound first if that does not help try compression. Once you get to where the wheel hop stops, start to back it out in .2 increments, then in .1 increments. The reason you want to back it out is this change will impact the ride and ether rear will either have more compression or too much rebound and the rear will feel like it "sticks" over uneven pavement and rear will be rough as the wheel will not decompress into road imperfections.

It's a balancing act but you can easily fix it.

Another trick would be to lower the rear LS compression or lower front LS rebound to allow more weight transfer to the rear which might stop the hop due to the extra traction from the increased rear weight. Still need to control the wheel frequency if the wheel slips and hops.

You have to try all of the above to find the right compromise.

If this is strictly for launching out of a dig then use the DSC launch control maps so you can set the launch control to have a different damper profile than the one that you have while driving.

This is typical of the DSC as it lowers the overall damper control until the G-Table is activated via the thresholds in the G Comfort Parameters. This is not a bad thing you just need to know your requirements and use case then tune accordingly.

Here is what a LNC map looks like, note the stiffness of the velocity values (dark colors) compared to the regular map:

Last edited by IRunalot; 07-01-2024 at 10:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by IRunalot:
B Russ (07-09-2024), Tier1Terrier (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 04:51 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

PS4S but he is switching to Cup 2s.

My thinking is that maybe there's a way to keep the rear of the car better/more planted under hard acceleration which would reduce the wheel hop.
As another mentioned, adjusting the launch file foe the dsc may help with rearward weight transition.
Old 07-01-2024, 05:07 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

@DSC Sport @Tom@TPC Racing
Posting this question out of curiosity after driving a friend's 991.2 T today. He recently upgraded to GTS turbos and a tune. Needless to say, it's a whole new beast with amazing power and is extremely fast. So much so, that you experience a bit of wheel hop or loss of traction when shifting gears under hard acceleration. Tires definitely have something to do with this and that will be addressed. Car is lowered on Tech Art or H&R springs (I forget which). This is primarily a street car / daily driver that gets driven spiritedly. He has the latest DSC but all settings are unchanged from new. How much can changing the DSC settings help? Any specific recommendations that you would make for the settings to address this specific issue?
I've had the same - GTS turbos, stock suspension (at first, I've subsequently changed it). The wheel hop is actually from the traction control. Tell him to launch with TC fully off, and things are better.
The following users liked this post:
IRunalot (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 05:59 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enzotcat
I've had the same - GTS turbos, stock suspension (at first, I've subsequently changed it). The wheel hop is actually from the traction control. Tell him to launch with TC fully off, and things are better.
Thanks @enzotcat . Just to clarify, this technically did not occur during a "launch" so to speak. This car is a 7MT. This was just under ordinary hard acceleration. It happened from 1st to 2nd gear, and from 2nd to third, and not even at redline. I would hate to think that the only way to eliminate the wheel-hop is to disable traction control, but I suppose that could be the price to pay for having that much increased power at the rear of an already light vehicle. The dyno showed 586 tq / 575 hp.

Last edited by Tier1Terrier; 07-01-2024 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-01-2024, 06:00 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

@enzotcat
Do you find your 1/4 mile and 0-60 times better with TC fully off?

Old 07-02-2024, 08:07 AM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

Thanks @enzotcat . Just to clarify, this technically did not occur during a "launch" so to speak. This car is a 7MT. This was just under ordinary hard acceleration. It happened from 1st to 2nd gear, and from 2nd to third, and not even at redline. I would hate to think that the only way to eliminate the wheel-hop is to disable traction control, but I suppose that could be the price to pay for having that much increased power at the rear of an already light vehicle. The dyno showed 586 tq / 575 hp.
Mine is also a 7MT. Yes, it happens at the top of 1st gear and at the top of 2nd gear - with the TC off you get wheel spin as opposed to hop. Interestingly I don't notice it on the track, probably because I'm feeding in the throttle in a more controlled manner on the track than on the street where I can just floor it 🤣

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
@enzotcat
Do you find your 1/4 mile and 0-60 times better with TC fully off?
TBH, I haven't checked that - it's really hard to find a safe place to do a 0-60 or 1/4 mile on the street, so I don't do that.
Old 07-02-2024, 08:44 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

with the TC off you get wheel spin as opposed to hop.
Perhaps I may have mis-diagnosed the issue. Can't say for sure if it's wheel spin or wheel hop. When I drove it for just a few miles, it only happened under hard acceleration while shifting gears.
Old 07-02-2024, 09:47 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Mine is also a 7MT. Yes, it happens at the top of 1st gear and at the top of 2nd gear - with the TC off you get wheel spin as opposed to hop. Interestingly I don't notice it on the track, probably because I'm feeding in the throttle in a more controlled manner on the track than on the street where I can just floor it 🤣

TBH, I haven't checked that - it's really hard to find a safe place to do a 0-60 or 1/4 mile on the street, so I don't do that.
Agree on the street not ideal doing 1/4 mile runs. I have noticed that the Cup 2 and Nankang CR-S still 'light up' when throttle is applied in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear and will leave 2 strips of rubber visible in the rear view mirror. The OEM P Zero also spun in 1st and 2nd, but less so in 3rd.

Perhaps I may have mis-diagnosed the issue. Can't say for sure if it's wheel spin or wheel hop. When I drove it for just a few miles, it only happened under hard acceleration while shifting gears.
FWIW cannot comment on hop/spin when shifting as i have a PDK, but curious to hear what others think / how this was solved.
My RX-7 was/is notorious for terrible wheel hop with launches such that upgraded diff bushings, upgraded trailing arms, and differential braces were invented/designed/available to address this. Nothing like cracking the PPF with a hard launch, and nothing sounds more abusive / feels abusive to a car than brutal wheel hop.
Old 07-09-2024, 01:11 AM
McKlyde
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've recently acquired a DSC controller, and I've noticed that the braking is much much smoother and there is no jerk at all during downshifts. I don't believe Porsche would implement a jerking effect when braking! Could this indicate that the shocks are worn?

As shocks wear down does the DSC controller account for this and adjust the power/command to the shocks? and the stock PASM controller simply statically provides power thus not able to dampen during braking?

Old 07-09-2024, 10:07 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by McKlyde
I've recently acquired a DSC controller, and I've noticed that the braking is much much smoother and there is no jerk at all during downshifts. I don't believe Porsche would implement a jerking effect when braking! Could this indicate that the shocks are worn?

As shocks wear down does the DSC controller account for this and adjust the power/command to the shocks? and the stock PASM controller simply statically provides power thus not able to dampen during braking?

Given that there are ride height and position sensors, which the controller uses to manage dampening, I'd say, "yes".

Last edited by colnagoG60; 07-09-2024 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-09-2024, 01:20 PM
DarienA
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I think I saw in another discussion that the default DSC setup is not recommended for lowered 911's. Is that correct?

Quick Reply: DSC V3 Controllers Back In Stock - Featuring Our **New RS Calibration**