Sponsored by:

Excessive rear tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 07:50 PM
Noproblemjoe
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive rear tire wear

I am sure this has been discussed but I cannot find a thread. On my 2018 targa 4S rear tires worn to the cord on the very inside at 6000 miles. The rest of the tire shows nominal wear across the tread. Are there suspension changes that can help this. This car is not going to be tracked.
Old 12-23-2021, 08:28 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

That’s definitely well below average. I get around 10-12K out of my rears. I would definitely get an alignment. You can ask for a more street friendly alignment if your driving stile is a bit more mellow. Can likely get 15K+ on the rears with that style of alignment.
Old 12-23-2021, 08:39 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco;[url=tel:17862393
17862393[/url]]That’s definitely well below average. I get around 10-12K out of my rears. I would definitely get an alignment. You can ask for a more street friendly alignment if your driving stile is a bit more mellow. Can likely get 15K+ on the rears with that style of alignment.
+1. Exactly.
Old 12-23-2021, 08:43 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Noproblemjoe
I am sure this has been discussed but I cannot find a thread. On my 2018 targa 4S rear tires worn to the cord on the very inside at 6000 miles. The rest of the tire shows nominal wear across the tread. Are there suspension changes that can help this. This car is not going to be tracked.
Every 911 I have owned for the last 2 decades has done this. A less radical camber will increase your tread life. For many of us, the tires will need to be replaced before we get to 7500 miles anyway.
Old 12-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

I am 8-10k on average running around -3 neg camber.
Old 12-23-2021, 09:27 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 459 Likes on 310 Posts

I encountered the same issue with my '18 GTS. Took to the local dealer and bought rear tires (most Porsche dealers will match or beat Tire Rack prices) and got a four wheel alignment. Rears were way out of alignment. I hope milage on new rears improves.
Old 12-23-2021, 09:58 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Off the showroom floor with a mix of track and street driving, I saw ~12k out of rears with a 991.2 Carrera with PS4S and TechArt springs, with the extreme inside going to cords seemingly suddenly (real reason is it's hard to see that far under the rear bumper compounded by a fair bit of meat left on the rest of the tire).

After a fresh alignment, saw ~15k out of a pair of rear PS4S—this time entirely on the street. Difference is it looks like the fronts can go a while yet, just like some of my previous Porsches with staggered setups.
Old 12-23-2021, 09:59 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Noproblemjoe
I have a 2018 Targa as well. I have the same issues with the inner rear tire wear. I replaced the rear tires twice, very prematurely.
Our local dealership just opened a new building with all new equipment. (I feel so lucky to have this support.) Three days ago, I had the Targa aligned. I drive a few DE days and mostly coastal roads. Hardly any highway driving.

"Inside rear wear is from aggressive track and back road driving. Outside is freeway wear." So I was told by another driver. Not that I believe it, but I think there are many factors here. I had the alignment set to factory spec so I could see for myself what is happening and move forward from here.
In the big scheme of things, I would be upset if I only got 4-5K out of a set of tires on any other car. However, getting 100-smiles/mile certainly allows me to deal with this much easier. For a Targa, I am just amazed at how it handles on a technical track. I don't feel handicapped with the extra weight. I am sure on a track with speed stretches, I'd feel the penalty.

Now that the alignment is reset and aligned on a new rack (not there is anything wrong with a string!), I will be watching the tire wear more closely. Getting a quick alignment check just driving into the service bay is a great tool available to us. I'll let you know how I adjust the camber on my Targa in a few months.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:57 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

What tire pressures are you running?
The following users liked this post:
Jerrygreene (12-28-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 02:46 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
"Inside rear wear is from aggressive track and back road driving. Outside is freeway wear." So I was told by another driver.
I don't have much doubt this is part of cording the inside of RR tire on my Carrera twice now, at least in my case.

Any inside rear tire slippage thanks to no LSD—which rarely annoys me—skims off the last of the inner tread pretty quickly. In my case, well worn rears that still seemed to have enough meat on them for one more fun run (500 miles) simply didn't. Not sure when, exactly, the RR started showing cords, but my guess is after unloading the inside rear one too many times (I can think of a handful of instances over those 500 miles in the wet). It isn't much of a problem, but it's perfect for cleaning off rubber prematurely. Still, at 12-15k per set of rears, I am not complaining. That's not much worse than I got out of 986 Boxster rears on a lighter car with much less power and better balance.
Old 12-24-2021, 04:29 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

The factory alignment is biased toward handling so they will wear on the inside. This according to the service manager. Asked for a more neutral alignment. They nailed the wear issue by setting right at edge of the green zone. Excellent wear and handling for everyday driving.
Old 12-24-2021, 06:32 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
What tire pressures are you running?
I am running what I believe you told me a few years ago Bob with your Targa... 34 rear and 30 front... Hope you are well! We all miss you.
Old 12-24-2021, 07:00 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
I am running what I believe you told me a few years ago Bob with your Targa... 34 rear and 30 front... Hope you are well! We all miss you.
Doing well with the new Spyder, hope you are as well! If I find the perfect Speedster I will be back, but I will keep the Spyder since it is fantastic. I was actually running higher pressures when I sold it, and so the same with the Spyder.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:10 PM
Noproblemjoe
6th Gear

Was running 31/39 which is standard partially loaded and fully loaded comfort. Now with new tires I am 34/44 . It is Winter here in the Colorado mountains near Aspen so it will be a while to see what happens. The car is driven briskly but at nowhere near track speeds on some exquisite twisty roads similar to the roads in the Black Forest but much rougher. They are a wonderful grippy ,smooth and comfortable tire. If I had not just happened to see the cord showing there would have been a blow out soon. Scary stuff. I do not have any competent alignment shops nearby so will wait.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:16 PM
Noproblemjoe
6th Gear

I cannot quite read the figures on the chart.could you make it larger. You are the only one so far with actual numbers. Thanks

Quick Reply: Excessive rear tire wear