991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive rear tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2021 | 08:09 PM
Noproblemjoe
6th Gear

Can you tell me what toe and rear camber you are using. Most people think camber is the problem but I think it is a combination. Toe could be even more important on cars with 4 wheel steering.
Old 12-30-2021 | 02:34 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

All I know is…I've seen this wear with my Carrera set to factory alignment specs, particularly with this latest set.

What I'm wondering is if the Pilot Sport Cup 2 might fare better with this type of wear at the inner edge—whether due to better heat management, or?

Checking my tires before a hard 600-mile backroad run, they looked like they still had months in them. But the inside RR was corded just 600 miles later. The tire seen in post #28 has a lot of tread left, even fairly close to the cording—prompting one to wonder if this may less about tire wear due to alignment over time and more about wear in hard-driven cars when the inside rear is unloaded in extreme cornering. Would be curious to know if this type of wear is seen in Carreras with no LSD as well as S/T/GTS models with LSD + PTV, or the AWD models.
Old 12-30-2021 | 02:51 PM
rubycaymanr
Rennlist Member

Never track and I have 8300 miles on my 991.2 GTS rear Michelin 4S tires and it is going to need replacement soon. I thought that was good considering I only get about 4500 miles out of my Cayman R rear tires
Old 12-30-2021 | 03:10 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rubycaymanr
Never track and I have 8300 miles on my 991.2 GTS rear Michelin 4S tires and it is going to need replacement soon. I thought that was good considering I only get about 4500 miles out of my Cayman R rear tires
^ I'd check alignment on both cars.

Been getting 12-15k out of PS4S rears on a (lighter and less powerful) 991.2 Carrera and saw nearly 14,000 miles out of the rear Pilot Sport Cup 2s on my old GT4. Both cars are driven as intended, on track and street. Only way I see getting a lot less than that is alignment or running hard for lap times.
Old 12-30-2021 | 04:38 PM
Ronak Gorajia
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stout
All I know is…I've seen this wear with my Carrera set to factory alignment specs, particularly with this latest set.

What I'm wondering is if the Pilot Sport Cup 2 might fare better with this type of wear at the inner edge—whether due to better heat management, or?

Checking my tires before a hard 600-mile backroad run, they looked like they still had months in them. But the inside RR was corded just 600 miles later. The tire seen in post #28 has a lot of tread left, even fairly close to the cording—prompting one to wonder if this may less about tire wear due to alignment over time and more about wear in hard-driven cars when the inside rear is unloaded in extreme cornering. Would be curious to know if this type of wear is seen in Carreras with no LSD as well as S/T/GTS models with LSD + PTV, or the AWD models.
Good point, post # 28 is a 991.1gts with techart springs. I'm curious about if that plays any role. I'm havin g it aligned today after I got the new rears installed yesterday. Hoping this helps.
Old 12-30-2021 | 05:13 PM
rubycaymanr
Rennlist Member

Checked the wear on the 991.2 GTS and it looks to be pretty even, the inside looks to be wearing slightly more. In my area we have a lot of roads where they apply stone chips and oil, was thinking that is the reason they need to be replaced sooner

Quick Reply: Excessive rear tire wear