Sponsored by:

Modifying 991.1 steering software

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 11:43 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,991 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
Personally I'd play with camber, toe, and tire pressure if I wanted to change the car's turning behavior before I even think about steering software. But that's just me.

Very good point
My previous GTS had a very aggressive "track" alignment ( from previous owner) and although it was identical to my current GTS, the turning and mid-corner behavior was almost like a different car, (in a very good way)

unfortunately the aggressive alignment meant the car would wander all over the road if the road had any imperfections making it difficult to daily drive. I eventually had the dealer re-align the car to factory spec and it was a night and day difference,
I am not too savvy around the subject of toe/camber changes but those familiar with track focused alignment can probably attest that "turn in" and mid-corner" feedback can be exponentially improved via track alignment.

That said, the EPS software versions can absolutely vary between model line ups and provide very different feedback and experience. Since the software decides how much turn in would be allowed based on steering input from driver, I am imagine it can make a huge difference.

lovig this thread, so much new and interesting information.
Old 03-13-2023, 12:41 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
Very good point
My previous GTS had a very aggressive "track" alignment ( from previous owner) and although it was identical to my current GTS, the turning and mid-corner behavior was almost like a different car, (in a very good way)

unfortunately the aggressive alignment meant the car would wander all over the road if the road had any imperfections making it difficult to daily drive. I eventually had the dealer re-align the car to factory spec and it was a night and day difference,
I am not too savvy around the subject of toe/camber changes but those familiar with track focused alignment can probably attest that "turn in" and mid-corner" feedback can be exponentially improved via track alignment.

That said, the EPS software versions can absolutely vary between model line ups and provide very different feedback and experience. Since the software decides how much turn in would be allowed based on steering input from driver, I am imagine it can make a huge difference.

lovig this thread, so much new and interesting information.
To me, having a different steering feel(more or less power assist) does not change the tire grip. A lot of drivers like zero toe, which can make the feel "very neutral" or reduced resistance or can also be interpreted as less feel. Some drivers prefer the very neutral, some not. Example, toe-in generally increase resistance that can be interpreted as more feel.

Totally understand that adjusting steering resistance and possibly varying steering ratio is another tool in the tool box. And sounds like fun to play with.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

The following 2 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
desmotesta (03-13-2023), nhnguy12 (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 12:45 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 224 Posts

Totally understand that adjusting steering resistance and possibly varying steering ratio is another tool in the tool box. And sounds like fun to play with.
I would love for someone with much more experience/capability like yourself to try the software calibration changes next time you have a 991.1 C2S on hand and give your thoughts on it.
Old 03-13-2023, 12:51 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

nhnguy12, i love AZ88. oblig pic from my last drive there.

i'd really like to hear someone else's impression of the difference on a 991.1 with the error from just a drive around the block with the GT3 dropdown checked.
The following users liked this post:
nhnguy12 (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 12:58 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by nhnguy12
If you can figure out how to do this without physically changing the hardware that would be pretty great. I think everyone should update the calibration if that's the case.
I'm working on getting a PIWIS to pursue the firmware update, in the meantime, if you have the time, could you please share some of the rest of your coding settings on your EPS module? Maybe there is something else that isn't standing out. I did try enabling 'Servotronic' option but no change there.

Would love to see a newer 991.1/2 successfully try this setting change. If anyone is on Long Island, come on by, only takes a minute. Coding is very different than flashing, which can be scary. Coding is like going to the preferences section of an application and making a setting change vs installing/updating software.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 03-13-2023 at 01:09 PM.
nhnguy12 (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 12:59 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jfischet
nhnguy12, i love AZ88. oblig pic from my last drive there.
[...]
i'd really like to hear someone else's impression of the difference on a 991.1 with the error from just a drive around the block with the GT3 dropdown checked.
Obligatory pic I took while testing out the new EPS calibration (pls don't ban me from 991 sub lol):

Have you had the chance to drive the car quickly since making the update?
The following 2 users liked this post by nhnguy12:
AdamSanta85 (03-13-2023), jfischet (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 01:00 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

To me, having a different steering feel(more or less power assist) does not change the tire grip. A lot of drivers like zero toe, which can make the feel "very neutral" or reduced resistance or can also be interpreted as less feel. Some drivers prefer the very neutral, some not. Example, toe-in generally increase resistance that can be interpreted as more feel.

Thanks, Tom. I tried removing the DSC, but it didn't make a difference. I already have aggressive-ish alignment, good tires, etc. Definitely went a long way. I think my steering is already pretty firm and responsive. However, the hacker in me just can't resist temptations like this...
Old 03-13-2023, 02:50 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Obligatory pic I took while testing out the new EPS calibration (pls don't ban me from 991 sub lol):

Have you had the chance to drive the car quickly since making the update?
great pic!

no, i haven't pushed it at all just driven around the block a few times.

the last time i swapped back to normal i could feel the difference in reverse pulling out of the driveway. it feels as thought the EPS is actively adding resistance in normal mode.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:49 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wik...rsche+PIWIS+II

My assumption is updating EPS firmware will be similar to updating PDK firmware shown above
nhnguy12 (03-13-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 02:08 AM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Hello again! I believe I found the way to deactivate the error thrown by the EPS module. I went into engineering mode and singled out all the MFD warning lights that mention "steering":

I think the most likely suspect is code (121). I would change that to "nicht aktiv" and take the car out for a spin before going too crazy with trying to force-update the module or replacing any physical components. Based off jfischet's feedback it seems like calibration runs fine without changing anything else on the car. Hopefully someone can test this out and let us know if it works.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:43 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Hello again! I believe I found the way to deactivate the error thrown by the EPS module. I went into engineering mode and singled out all the MFD warning lights that mention "steering":

I think the most likely suspect is code (121). I would change that to "nicht aktiv" and take the car out for a spin before going too crazy with trying to force-update the module or replacing any physical components. Based off jfischet's feedback it seems like calibration runs fine without changing anything else on the car. Hopefully someone can test this out and let us know if it works.
great work!

I'll try to update this setting this weekend and report back.

i also had been thinking about trying some of the other steering maps to see if i could feel the difference.
(if, for example, the 4S map feels exactly the same as the GT3 map then that could mean the error is valid and the steering software is going into some sort of default mode, which is why it feels very different from the S map.)

Last edited by jfischet; 03-25-2023 at 02:10 AM.
nhnguy12 (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 04:56 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

great work!

I'll try to update this setting this weekend and report back.

i also had been thinking about trying some of the other steering maps to see if i could feel the difference.
(if, for example, the 4S map feels exactly the same as the GT3 map then that could mean the error is valid and the steering software is going into some sort of default mode, which is why it feels very different from the S map.)
Sounds like a good excuse to pay a visit to Tortilla Flat
Old 03-25-2023, 02:09 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

i was able to test again tonight.

first: confirmed, setting (120) and (121) to inactive suppresses the warning on the dash.

second: the C4/S setting feels almost exactly the same as the C2/S one and the GT3 file feels much different, better, lighter. this was still just around the neighborhood.
not going to be able to get in a good drive until after the end of next week.
Old 03-25-2023, 02:52 AM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

i was able to test again tonight.

first: confirmed, setting (120) and (121) to inactive suppresses the warning on the dash.

second: the C4/S setting feels almost exactly the same as the C2/S one and the GT3 file feels much different, better, lighter. this was still just around the neighborhood.
not going to be able to get in a good drive until after the end of next week.
Thanks for testing that out. Curious to see more people give it a go and share their experiences. A few more people have updated their steering on the 981 forum and seem to be happy.
Old 03-28-2023, 10:47 PM
99-911
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

interested in this update/upgrade for my 991.1
my question: can this be done using Autel Maxsys or it's strictly a PIWIS function?

Quick Reply: Modifying 991.1 steering software