Modifying 991.1 steering software

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2024, 10:56 PM
Irfan
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
here you go.

Instrument cluster->code brush hiding> rule coding > warning configuration> warning configuration 3 > scroll down for 121.
The warnings are not in any specific order and jump all over from 300 range to 200 and 100.

Thanks! Really appreciate it. Now I will have to figure out how to keep the 4 LEDs on while headlights are on. Any others items you coded?
Old 08-29-2024, 11:00 PM
Irfan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cadubya
I changed the setting to “GT3” on my 2013 4S and got the EPS error. I disabled the warning, but after driving around for awhile I noticed some weird PASM damping characteristics. Can’t really explain it. Just felt unsettled. Tons of soft codes for PSM too. I ended up changing it back to the original OEM setting.
I am on SPASM with PDCC, didn’t notice any change on damping. Also no soft codes either.
Old 08-29-2024, 11:20 PM
Cadubya
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Irfan
I am on SPASM with PDCC, didn’t notice any change on damping. Also no soft codes either.
What year is your car?
Old 08-30-2024, 12:15 AM
Irfan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cadubya
What year is your car?
Old 09-04-2024, 06:36 PM
pedal bliss
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default More Function Programs

Hello,

I have found several functions that change the car. I have attached the PIWIS location of these function in the images below, and the english translations in a separate picture. All of these must be done with a special German PIWIS 3 system that has the coding and programming. A few of these I have not tested myself, I will write where that is. But I have pictures of where to enable and disable reguardless.
A basic Piwis 3 will never show some of these menus.

I have a video on how to enable the shifting indications Neutral and Gear Position from 6 months ago I still have to edit.

Car Follows Tar Snakes (Cross shoring) - Is when the car follows grooves/ tar snakes in the road default it set to igrnoe them, you can chang ethis so it follows the road giving more feedback, less isolation to the steering wheel. Good for track I imagine. Here is the definition. Tested working:

"

Cross-shoring" in the context of steering in a Porsche refers to the behavior where the steering wheel experiences unexpected or uneven feedback when driving over surfaces with different grip levels on each side of the vehicle. This phenomenon is more commonly referred to as "crosswind sensitivity" or "tramlining," where the car may pull or wander slightly due to the difference in traction between the left and right tires.

Uneven Road Surfaces: When driving over surfaces with different levels of grip (e.g., one side of the road is wet or has loose gravel), the tires may react differently, causing the steering to feel unstable.

Stiffer Steering Resistance (Torque Force Reduction)- This make the steer turn heavier, its like an opposite/reverse power steering assist, it’s a power steering resist, Some people might like this. i reccomend trying this. I like it both on or off equally, so far my arms haven’t been ripped out of my sockets like a lego minifigure. closest thing to describe it is it feel more like bmw’s hydralic steering, it’s harder to turn, less assist. Tested Working.

See Picture Above, it's in the EPS > Development coding without rules mode

Porsche Sports Exhaust Pops,Bangs, and fuel Over:

You can enable pop cracks and bangs WITHOUT sport plus andPorsceh sports plus installed from factory. For factory stock exhaust. By default if you have Porsche Sports Exhaust installed from factory, the exhaust flaps fully open at wide open throttle by default EVEN IF SPORTS EXHAUST is turned off. this works for use without PSE installed becaue if we enable sports plus mode in the settings, and sports exhaust in the few settings areas (its calles ‘Flaps’ in the DME, and sports exhaust else where, you will get the fuel overrun and pops and bang on a stock exhaust, not PSE button. Thanks porsche. I noticed this when driving with sports mode on that it pops and crackles alot, it even sometimes pops when shifitng up a gear. I enable both Sports plus and PSE im not %100 which one of these is having the effect but it doesn’t hurt to leave both on. Their is a few other places to get this enabled I do not have in the pictures. It seems to be enabled in other modules too, I did not capture where those all are. Tested working.

german

english

german flap

english sports flap

Neutral N position indicator (Help prevent misshifting): I also have an indicatior for when the car is in Neutral , from factory the gear screen is blank/off when shfiting between gears which is the same as when its in gear but the clutch is in, not helpful not sure why they originally set it this way. Tested working.

**Need to upload video and photos***

Early Gear Position Indication (Help prevent misshifting): Another function is the show what car the gear is in while the clutch is still in and engine is not moving. from factory it only tells you 1 second after you released the clutch what gear you are in. Tested working.

Disable Hill Hold Assist: You can disable hill hold assist. I did not test this because I have gotten use to it. But the setting is their to fulley disable it. Untested.

***Need to upload photos and video***

Disable Start Stop Forever: You can disable auto start stop, permenantly. No more auto start stop when the car turns on, I did not test this because my button saves in memory. Untested.

Start Car in Sports Mode: Save last mode, I can have the car save my last drive mode.
their is also a setting to set the start stop button to remeber its last state. Untested

This should be set to last mode, I did not get that in picture

Last edited by pedal bliss; 09-04-2024 at 06:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pedal bliss:
99-911 (09-05-2024), Guards_Red_991 (09-10-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 07:44 PM
boldish
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by pedal bliss
Hello,
Neutral N position indicator (Help prevent misshifting): I also have an indicatior for when the car is in Neutral , from factory the gear screen is blank/off when shfiting between gears which is the same as when its in gear but the clutch is in, not helpful not sure why they originally set it this way. Tested working.

Early Gear Position Indication (Help prevent misshifting): Another function is the show what car the gear is in while the clutch is still in and engine is not moving. from factory it only tells you 1 second after you released the clutch what gear you are in. Tested working.

Wow, this would be great to enable! I was always surprised they decided to make the current behavior the default.

I might try to spend some time to see if there is any small chance I can enable this with my Thinkdiag as I have no idea how I'm going to get a German PIWIS 3...
Old 09-05-2024, 01:33 AM
99-911
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Thank you @pedal bliss so much for this really great & detailed post.

I got PIWIS 2 on order, can these functions be activated/deactivated using PIWIS 2 ?
Old 09-05-2024, 02:34 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,080 Likes on 990 Posts

Just finished some "extensive" back to back testing of the following:

- OEM Steering Software with PSP

- OEM Steering software with PSP BUT Driving Physics and torque reduction "inactive"

- GTT3 Steering software (with steering Warning turned OFF)

- GT3 Steering software with Driving physics and torque reduction inactive

Conclusion:

- Adding GT3 file to my 2012.5 car doesn't make as much difference as it did on my 2016 GTS .. BUT, it takes away over boosted PSP and adds more force feedback in corners. There is definitely a change, just not as pronounced as in the 2016 GTS

- Making "driving physics and Torque reduction inactive DOES add more "feel" in the steering wheel, mostly in terms of vibrations and feel of road imperfections.. I see this as a positive change

I am settling on GT3 + Driving physical/TQ reduction Inactive

Will take a quick drive to skyline in the next couple of days and report back
Old 09-05-2024, 02:52 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
Just finished some "extensive" back to back testing of the following:

- OEM Steering Software with PSP

- OEM Steering software with PSP BUT Driving Physics and torque reduction "inactive"

- GTT3 Steering software (with steering Warning turned OFF)

- GT3 Steering software with Driving physics and torque reduction inactive

Conclusion:

- Adding GT3 file to my 2012.5 car doesn't make as much difference as it did on my 2016 GTS .. BUT, it takes away over boosted PSP and adds more force feedback in corners. There is definitely a change, just not as pronounced as in the 2016 GTS

- Making "driving physics and Torque reduction inactive DOES add more "feel" in the steering wheel, mostly in terms of vibrations and feel of road imperfections.. I see this as a positive change

I am settling on GT3 + Driving physical/TQ reduction Inactive

Will take a quick drive to skyline in the next couple of days and report back
Thanks for your feedback! I guess I need to try this torque reduction setting.
Old 09-08-2024, 10:42 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 77 Posts

I posted this in the other 981 thread, but posting here too as I'm driving a very early 12/2011 build date 991.1S. My car came with Power Steering Plus as well. I have 65k miles on the car so I'm pretty used to the steering. For reference my other car is a Lotus Elise, and this is my first 911 so I always just figured this is how 911 steering feels. LOL.

I used a PIWIS to switch to the GT3 steering, which did feel lighter off center, more responsive when turning in, and generally loaded up a bit more. More road feel too.

My car does have the power steering error message on the dash. I'm going to drive it for a week before I decide if I'm keeping the GT3 software and if I do I'll suppress the error.

I noticed pulling into my condo underground garage when I got home, the steering felt really heavy. I thought maybe something happened, but I think maybe it's because the Power Steering Plus is disabled. Is there a way to have both PSP and the GT3 calibration or would that just make it not good?

I did notice some other weridness when driving the car the first time, I don't know how to describe it but kind of a stuttering from the rear when coming to a red light. It didn't happen again but it did make me wonder if this changed caused any other effects. I saw someone above mentioned PASM weirdness so I wonder if that was what I was feeling.

Again, I'm going to drive it for a week or two and see how it goes. Would love to not have to suppress the error if there is a workaround for that. Did anyone figure out uploading other EPS module files or anything?

Last edited by vincenz0; 09-08-2024 at 10:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bingr (09-09-2024)
Old 09-10-2024, 01:15 AM
vincenz0
Racer

I decided to try something to see if I could get rid of the power steering error on the dashboard without just hiding it.

Since my car came with Power Steering Plus, I thought maybe that might be causing some sort of incompatibility -- like the GT3 steering rack calibration setting might not be compatible with PSP. So I switched PSP to inactive, but the error remained.

It's interesting because it definitely feels like PSP is disabled with the GT3 calibration. I didn't actually go for a test drive with PSP disabled to see if it made any difference or not, but I will try that tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2024, 12:18 PM
NZS
1st Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow. I've just gone and coded my 2013 C2S to the GT3 steering software. And as most have reiterated- it's heavy at standstill, but gets light and agile as soon as you get going, and weights up well. Most of all it feels natural- connected to the road. I have yet to push it around the mountain roads, but I must say it feels like a whole new car.

Kudos to @nhnguy12 and really everyone for discovering this and providing detailed instructions, including how to hide the error message- both worked through the manual code functions.

This is the 991.1 we deserved. Driving season couldn't come sooner!
The following 3 users liked this post by NZS:
jfischet (09-11-2024), nhnguy12 (09-10-2024), tilac999 (09-10-2024)
Old 09-10-2024, 11:59 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by pedal bliss

i was able to do the neutral indicator setting but could never figure out the early gear position indication.

i wonder if it's year dependent.
Old 09-11-2024, 02:58 AM
vincenz0
Racer

(Note this is on an 2012.5 991.1S -- build date 12/2011)

OK I did some more testing today because I really felt like the PASM suspension felt different when I toggled to the GT3 steering. It just felt harsher.

So I used my phone's gyroscope to record motion in x, y, and z axes and drove down the exact same stretch of road in the same direction. My start timing might have been slightly off (tried to start it right as I crossed a particular intersection) but you can kind of mentally match these up.

What I'm interpreting this as is that in the GT3 mode, the PASM is stiffer meaning that over relatively smooth stuff, there is less y motion and over bigger bumps it's a more pronounced y motion (bigger spikes). It's less compliant over those bigger bumps resulting in more y motion.

You can see with the standard steering, it never goes above +2/-2 but with the GT3 steering it does pretty often.

For those of you who've done the GT3 steering on a 991.1 -- do you also happen to have a DSC controller or are you using the stock PASM controller?

Last edited by vincenz0; 09-11-2024 at 03:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by vincenz0:
bmxtreme (09-11-2024), boldish (09-12-2024)
Old 09-11-2024, 05:25 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,241 Likes on 751 Posts

I have DSC.

I do not notice harsher ride, all I notice is better more precise steering. I do not even notice heavier steering at slow speeds. Note that I do not have power steering.

Quick Reply: Modifying 991.1 steering software