Sponsored by:

Not even 1 month with the car, already wrecked

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 02:00 AM
desking101
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Not even 1 month with the car, already wrecked

Well, this is a perfect example of Murphy's Law. Yesterday, my debit card number was stolen and they managed to charge $5000 worth of purchases before I caught it and locked it. And today, I'm on a nice drive up the coast and some guy drives straight into me as I'm driving through town. I made him admit fault on video just so there is no confusion, so at least there's that. So after less than 1 month of ownership, my 991.2 is already going to be sitting in a bodyshop. The only silver lining is I will get 1 fresh headlight without pitting, and if they replace my bumper cover I won't have license plate holes.

Oh, and got a decent picture of the car with the iPhone before wreck

Photo of the damage. It is worse than it looks. Coolant leaking, making a clicking noise, hood misaligned, door and/or fender misaligned, sensors, warning lights, etc no airbag deployment though and nobody hurt (very low speed). I will be taking it to a Porsche authorized collision center

The following 3 users liked this post by desking101:
jbendaou (05-21-2022), JediRocker (03-14-2022), T3X4S (12-12-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 04:11 AM
991.2ts
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Cringe. Wow sorry to hear. At least you will no longer have holes in bumper nor pitted headlight😁
Old 12-11-2021, 06:35 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,141 Likes on 684 Posts

Ugh. Sorry to hear.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:41 AM
Dark_horse
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 48 Posts

That’s tough. Invest in a dash cam asap!
Old 12-11-2021, 09:47 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,962 Likes on 937 Posts

I feel your pain as I have been there myself

within a couple of months of owning my first 991.1S a distracted father of 2 drove right into my parked car..was totaled

yours is fixable and like you pointed out it will be better than before, albeit now it will have a Carfax record. Take the weekend to process, get your plan in order. You dont just want them to make your car new, but also pay for future depreciation, Many threads on this and you can google/search for companies that do exactly that.

Good Luck and keep your chin up

Pic of my car accident, hope it makes you feel better

Old 12-11-2021, 11:10 AM
desking101
Rennlist Member

Yes I plan on asking my insurance company about being compensated for diminished value, or may have to contact an attorney
Old 12-11-2021, 11:13 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,962 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by desking101
Yes I plan on asking my insurance company about being compensated for diminished value, or may have to contact an attorney

You best bet is finding one of the agencies that specialize in this kind of work. You can go the attorney route once the Insurance company says no (which they most probably will) but attorney fees may be higher.

A proper Carfax hit can cost thousands of dollars in resale especially if you have a car with low miles.
Old 12-11-2021, 12:16 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,060 Posts

Ugh, never good to hear. Will be back on the road looking even better though, that is the bright side. Definitely get a diminished value attorney or try and get a reasonable number without one if able.
Old 12-11-2021, 12:26 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 357 Likes on 220 Posts

You will pit the new headlight as well... jk.. not really.
Sorry to hear about your wreck .
DO NOT clear bra your headlights just a reminder..
Old 12-11-2021, 01:06 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
You will pit the new headlight as well... jk.. not really.
Sorry to hear about your wreck .
DO NOT clear bra your headlights just a reminder..
Sad to see the damage to your car. It will soon look as good as new though!

There doesn’t seem to be a clear answer for PPF on the headlights. There are peopl in this thread that installed PPF, seemingly with no problems. I’ll ask for updates, hopefully we can get some good feedback. Unless the GT3 headlights are different, lol.

Last edited by Speed2k; 12-11-2021 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:43 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Oh man! I really feel bad for you. Must be a gut punch. Try to look past this and forward to when the car is as good as new and this all is a bad memory.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:16 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 125 Posts

It'll all work out in the end. I had a wild back to back incident with my basically brand new C63S Coupe years ago (only 3-4k miles on the clock) where a vehicle rear ended me at very low speed merging into traffic (it happened to be an ex-Mercedes mechanic that wasn't paying attention in his Nissan Altima). Over a month in the bodyshop, I got the car back and no less than 2 weeks later I had a lady in her Camaro throw her car in reverse as we were both waiting to exit a restaurant parking lot - I guess she left something inside - and didn't even look behind her to see the line of cars waiting to exit the lot. I had to watch in slow motion as the reverse lights flipped on and see her slowly crept back in reverse towards me - I had my hand planted on the horn - but she continued to give the front end of the car a love bump (a quite expensive one as headlights were involved). Add another month in the body shop and a second Carfax accident on a brand new AMG.

Sounds horrible right? Well, it was - at the time. I pursued diminished value claims for both accidents with each insurance company and received a VERY healthy payouts from each insurer - enough to cover any diminished value at the time of sale when purchasing my 911, and it basically covered my depreciation throughout the ownership of the car. So it actually worked out favorably which is quite funny when you look back at the horror when it happens.

Best advice as many have mentioned is to retain a diminished value expert, you will have to get a visual inspection (to look for previous damage), and negotiate with the insurance company when they send a low ball offer. Good luck, it'll all work out.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:40 AM
desking101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
It'll all work out in the end. I had a wild back to back incident with my basically brand new C63S Coupe years ago (only 3-4k miles on the clock) where a vehicle rear ended me at very low speed merging into traffic (it happened to be an ex-Mercedes mechanic that wasn't paying attention in his Nissan Altima). Over a month in the bodyshop, I got the car back and no less than 2 weeks later I had a lady in her Camaro throw her car in reverse as we were both waiting to exit a restaurant parking lot - I guess she left something inside - and didn't even look behind her to see the line of cars waiting to exit the lot. I had to watch in slow motion as the reverse lights flipped on and see her slowly crept back in reverse towards me - I had my hand planted on the horn - but she continued to give the front end of the car a love bump (a quite expensive one as headlights were involved). Add another month in the body shop and a second Carfax accident on a brand new AMG.

Sounds horrible right? Well, it was - at the time. I pursued diminished value claims for both accidents with each insurance company and received a VERY healthy payouts from each insurer - enough to cover any diminished value at the time of sale when purchasing my 911, and it basically covered my depreciation throughout the ownership of the car. So it actually worked out favorably which is quite funny when you look back at the horror when it happens.

Best advice as many have mentioned is to retain a diminished value expert, you will have to get a visual inspection (to look for previous damage), and negotiate with the insurance company when they send a low ball offer. Good luck, it'll all work out.
How much did you pay for the diminished value expert, or did insurance cover the cost? How exactly did the process go? I'm assuming simply telling my insurance company they need to get me a diminished value payout from the other guy's company won't work very well
Old 12-12-2021, 10:24 AM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 270 Posts

How much did you pay for the diminished value expert, or did insurance cover the cost? How exactly did the process go? I'm assuming simply telling my insurance company they need to get me a diminished value payout from the other guy's company won't work very well
I have been hit twice by red light runners in the past 14 years and hired a diminished value appraiser both times. Search Dempsey appraisal service Atlanta and you might find answers to some of your questions. Paid around $350 I believe. They looked at the car, took plenty of pics and wrote up about a 3-4 page evaluation as to the diminished value of the car due to the accident. The first time it went to a 3rd party umpire and he agreed with my guy. Second time the insurance company just paid his estimate. In both cases I was offered about 1k but received about 6k for diminished value. Both cars were damaged badly and the insurance company would have done better totaling them vs. repairs+ diminished value pay out.
The following users liked this post:
JC Lacayo (02-16-2022)
Old 12-12-2021, 01:10 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 125 Posts

As mentioned, you want to find a local (or within state) diminished value expert that can do an appraisal of how much your car was worth before/after the accident and repairs. They do this by comparing other similarly equipped vehicles and there are calculations performed based on severity of accident, cost of repair, etc.

It only cost $500 (maybe a bit less?) for a professional to give me a full report/assessment and included the language to email the insurance company in addition to follow ups on how to respond during negotiation (they know the insurers tactics well).

I absolutely would do it all over again - I did, with that second accident - and both insurers paid out more than fairly in my case.

Quick Reply: Not even 1 month with the car, already wrecked