Sponsored by:

Not even 1 month with the car, already wrecked

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 02:09 PM
desking101
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
As mentioned, you want to find a local (or within state) diminished value expert that can do an appraisal of how much your car was worth before/after the accident and repairs. They do this by comparing other similarly equipped vehicles and there are calculations performed based on severity of accident, cost of repair, etc.

It only cost $500 (maybe a bit less?) for a professional to give me a full report/assessment and included the language to email the insurance company in addition to follow ups on how to respond during negotiation (they know the insurers tactics well).

I absolutely would do it all over again - I did, with that second accident - and both insurers paid out more than fairly in my case.
Thank you. I am assuming this would be done after the vehicle is repaired and they can see everything that was replaced.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:09 AM
desking101
Rennlist Member

Little update. Car still in the shop. They had to tear it down to see where the damage was, since the driver side radiator was pushed back on the support and the front tub has to be cut/welded. Tons of 911s and other high end cars in the shop when I visited so I know these guys know what they're doing. Insurance bill is over $25k so far on the estimate
Old 12-30-2021, 03:37 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by desking101
Insurance bill is over $25k so far on the estimate
Has to be getting close to being totaled. I assume the insurance company is being kept up to date and you are speaking to them weekly and documenting your calls? A letter or two won’t hurt either. Just don’t want any surprises.
Old 12-30-2021, 04:47 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,016 Likes on 958 Posts

Originally Posted by vanlieremead
Has to be getting close to being totaled. I assume the insurance company is being kept up to date and you are speaking to them weekly and documenting your calls? A letter or two won’t hurt either. Just don’t want any surprises.

today's high street values won't help this case if insurance is going by good old 75% rule . Now if they can find a subframe or drivetrain component "moved" even a few millimeter, that would surely get it totaled. At this point I am pulling for the owner and hoping this is declared a total loss.
Old 12-30-2021, 05:45 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 801 Posts

Damn sorry man. At least no one was hurt.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:41 AM
desking101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vanlieremead
Well the car has a wholesale book of like $92k so there's a long way to go there. And yes my insurance company is being kept up to date. They're on direct pay with the bodyshop. I made sure to only deal with my insurance company instead of the other party's, and with my video statement from the other guy where he admits fault there are no ifs ands or buts
The following users liked this post:
vanlieremead (01-10-2022)
Old 12-31-2021, 12:43 AM
desking101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by desmotesta
today's high street values won't help this case if insurance is going by good old 75% rule . Now if they can find a subframe or drivetrain component "moved" even a few millimeter, that would surely get it totaled. At this point I am pulling for the owner and hoping this is declared a total loss.
Well the front tub has to be cut and welded, which they are saying is fairly common on these in front impacts. They're basically painting the entire car at this point, as well as changing my brake fluid, coolant, bunch of lines and stuff, etc. They're very thorough, which is why I'm glad I brought it to a Porsche authorized bodyshop. And they work with the local Porsche dealer
Old 12-31-2021, 01:57 AM
z168
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow sorry to hear and glad youre ok.

please keep this thread updated re the compensation for depreciation. Curious how to handle this
Old 12-31-2021, 06:01 PM
991_T
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

WOW sorry for the damage guy where in Ca. is the shop you mentioned, just for any future incidents that may happen. thanks
Old 01-10-2022, 08:50 PM
desking101
Rennlist Member

Insurance bill is up to about $28k so far

Which is more than the daily beater I picked up today since I couldn't stand driving a rental car any more (and need to keep miles off the 911 either way)

2013 335i M-Sport. 6 speed manual. Every option except heated seats I think. Already ordered a tune

Old 01-11-2022, 09:23 AM
TXGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by desking101
Insurance bill is up to about $28k so far

Which is more than the daily beater I picked up today since I couldn't stand driving a rental car any more (and need to keep miles off the 911 either way)

2013 335i M-Sport. 6 speed manual. Every option except heated seats I think. Already ordered a tune

Nice, that should provide for some fun, guilt free (and low risk) miles. I did something similar earlier this year, found a very low mileage C32 AMG to use as my DD.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:45 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 457 Likes on 203 Posts

I applaud the OP's restraint.
Where I practice diminished value is not a thing. The courts regularly opine (I believe incorrectly that) diminished value damages are speculative and cannot be proved...
Old 01-11-2022, 04:28 PM
moswissa
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

My brand new tesla was rear ended here in Los angeles. It was 3 months old. I made a claim for diminished value through my injury attorney. Insurance denied right away and even claimed its not possible in the state of CA. I did 5 min good search, not true! Pressed them some more and went to carmax to get a quote based on the accident on record. State farm finally coughed up 5k after we asked for 10k. Ill take it though. its BS how diminished value is underrated. People need to fight it.

My insurance raised my premium 60% for 1 cell phone ticket (my fault), and said its worse than having a DUI. lol Dont feel bad for them.
desmotesta (01-11-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 01:41 AM
desking101
Rennlist Member

Update: STILL in the shop. They said they had to finish another 991 with a major rear end collision on the chassis bench first before they could use it to finish the repairs on my car. And then it still has to go to the dealer for misc. stuff. I bet another month at least. So I had the car for ONE month, then it went to the body shop and has been in there for TWO months now. Crazy.

In the meantime, I've been modding my 335i daily to the point where it feels almost as fast as the Carrera did when it was stock and is finally where I want it in terms of being fun to drive. I now have a charge pipe, larger FMIC, short shifter, intake, and running an MHD stage 2 tune (usually on the e30 map). It feels as fast as my old 2012 Mustang GT from years ago.

I felt bad for the Porsche last night and ordered some 2m fabrication cat bypass pipes and will be installing those and my Soul black slash cut tips once I get the car back. But man, it sucks not having it. Pulled up next to a beautiful blue 992 GT3 last sunday in Chico and wish I wasn't in a boring silver BMW sedan.
Jimmyk79 (02-15-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 01:55 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

sorry about your accident.
I was going to say be careful as bad things usually happen in 3s but it has been over a month...was there a 3rd bad event?

since this accident was not your fault, have you thought about going after diminished value since your car value will be diminished when you get it back? It should drive like new but carfax.

Quick Reply: Not even 1 month with the car, already wrecked