Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Car Connect Module - Technology Upgrade- recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 05:28 PM
GTSMeister
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

After texting with 1-800-Porsche over several days I finally got Porsche to make the connection with my dealer. Two days later (1/28), my service advisor calls to schedule me for the WMM7 campaign. So it must be back on. It's a ways out since they are busy but the appointment shows that this is to replace the VTS control unit. So things may be underway to get this done as parts become available.
The following users liked this post:
DarienA (02-03-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 10:59 PM
Bassman37
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTSMeister
After texting with 1-800-Porsche over several days I finally got Porsche to make the connection with my dealer. Two days later (1/28), my service advisor calls to schedule me for the WMM7 campaign. So it must be back on. It's a ways out since they are busy but the appointment shows that this is to replace the VTS control unit. So things may be underway to get this done as parts become available.
That's great to hear that the campaign is back on. Did they indicate how long the modem replacement would take as my service advisor originally told me about two hours and others have stated two days?
Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-01-2022, 11:04 PM
papb
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I emailed my service rep after seeing GTSMeister's message above; still waiting to here back. As for time, I was told its a full day thing (2017 Cayenne SeH)
DarienA (02-03-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 11:17 PM
Bassman37
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by papb
I emailed my service rep after seeing GTSMeister's message above; still waiting to here back. As for time, I was told its a full day thing (2017 Cayenne SeH)
That's really interesting as I have the same exact vehicle model as you!!!
Old 02-02-2022, 01:29 PM
GTSMeister
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassman37
That's great to hear that the campaign is back on. Did they indicate how long the modem replacement would take as my service advisor originally told me about two hours and others have stated two days?
Thanks for sharing!
I don't know how long it will take. But I'm going to guess all day since there is only one tech who can do these things. I'm guessing because my appointment is 6 weeks away so that she could get a whole day on his schedule. I usually drop the car off anyway so I don't mind the extended time in the shop.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:50 PM
papb
Instructor

I heard back from my service rep (in CT). He said the upgrades are back on but parts are backordered still...

Last edited by papb; 02-03-2022 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2022, 02:59 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

Those of you that have been approved for the new SIM module, did your VIN trigger a notice on the Porsche Recall site?

My 911 is a '19 and according to the statement released earlier, all '17 through '19 911s are affected, but my VIN doesn't show a recall outstanding.

Dealer still hasn't a clue.
Old 02-04-2022, 06:07 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I happened to have my 2017 Macan GTS at the dealer yesterday (Thursday) for a tire replacement (a puncture that happened last Saturday) and overheard the service manager mention to another owner that his car was due for the #WMM7 campaign and that this was to resolve the problem on the VTS (Vehicle Tracking System) with the 3G turndown and they made an appointment to install the upgraded unit. So after that customer left I went over to the service manager and asked him about this campaign - told him that I had received an email from Porsche about this for my 2017 911 TTs but hadn't heard anything about my Macan but definitely wanted the 911 done. I told him I knew the #WMM7 campaign had been pulled.but wanted to know the current status. Both Porsches were purchased from this dealer and they have done all the called for maintenance and a couple of past service bulletins and some rare warranty work so he had the VIN numbers all on file and he looked up both vehicles.

He told me that both VINs were on the #WMM7 campaign list to have the 3G modules upgraded to 4G / LTE modules (note that both cars are now out of warranty but they are both on the #WMM7 campaign list to be upgraded). The Macan was estimated by Porsche to take just under an hour and the 911 almost 5 hours. He tried to catch the parts department to see if they had parts in but they were busy. He made two appointments for me for February 17 and 18 - the plan being to leave me a loaner and pick up the 911 on the 17th and upgrade it and then bring back the 911 and pick up the Macan and upgrade it and bring back the Macan and pick up the loaner. He has two weeks to get the parts in if he doesn't already have them.

So it appears to me that the #WMM7 campaign is back on and (at least this dealership) is actively doing this upgrade (they have already done some already) and while Porsche may not be getting the parts for the new modules as quickly as we all might hope - they ARE getting them and doing the upgrade. I'll keep you all posted. I wouldn't be surprised if these dates get pushed back but at least things are planned and sooner or later I'll get both vehicles upgraded.

Last edited by JR956678; 02-04-2022 at 06:15 AM.
Bassman37 (02-06-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 06:42 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
Those of you that have been approved for the new SIM module, did your VIN trigger a notice on the Porsche Recall site?
Neither my 911 nor my Macan VINs show up on the recall site as having any recalls. But both are clearly on the list for the #WMM7 campaign.

Back when I first got my Porsche(s) I spent time on this forum and ran into speculations that there was a hidden cell phone in the vehicle. The answer is "Yes - there is a hidden cell phone" and it's the VTS (Vehicle Tracking System) and for 2017-2019 cars, it has been using a 3G data link. Now with the cell carriers turning down 3G service the VTS gets broken and will no longer work unless the built-in cellular modem is upgraded to 4G / LTE, which is what the #WMM7 campaign is doing.

Even if you have not signed up for Car Connect services, the VTS module is still installed and is active. This link explains what the VTS does / can do:

https://www.porsche.com/internationa...s/classic-vts/

I have first hand experience with this when I had the battery in my 911 replaced. Right after the service shop disconnected the car's main battery I got a phone call from Porsche asking me if I was alright and that my car had possibly been stolen which is why they were calling me. I laughed because I was at the dealership while they did the work and was sitting in the waiting lounge when the call came in to my cell phone. This suggests to me that the VTS module has its own power supply that doesn't depend on the main battery - because that's the only way it could have "phoned home" to say that the main battery had been disconnected after the main battery had been disconnected.

Because the relationship between VIN number and the possible failure of the ability to report a stolen Porsche and determine its location and also the ability to disable the car (which is done by Porsche over the VTS connection) if actually stolen, I can't blame Porsche for keeping affected VINs from becoming public information.

ETA - a little bit of additional research seems to indicate that the VTS module runs off the main battery but also has an internal rechargeable battery that powers it even if the main battery is disconnected. Among other things it reports the car's location as long as it can.

Last edited by JR956678; 02-05-2022 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:49 PM
papb
Instructor

My dealer in CT is still awaiting parts. I called up Porsche Manhattan and they have the parts available. They ran my VIN and confirmed my CSeH is covered at no cost for the WMM7/VTS update. I am scheduled to take it in next week. Similar to CT shop, they said it's an all-day project as well. Ill report back if anything changes/after its done.
Bassman37 (02-06-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 02:23 PM
chuck v
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Feb 6 update

Ok saw service advisor today. Service bulletin is out. My 991 is scope 8. It’s 403 TU which is 4 hours. Part # was ordered. Maybe backlogged. It’s a 8 page bulletin for at least 8 classes of Porsche

chuck
. 2019 991
el paso

Bassman37 (02-06-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 02:28 PM
papb
Instructor

So I wouldn't rush to get this update; I certainly wouldn't if you have a 2017 Cayenne SeH like I do. It was supposed to be a same day service, but they have had my cayenne for nearly two full days. When I finally got them on the phone, they said, "the programing is moving at a slow pace" and that they have "opened a ticket with Porsche to make them aware". Sounds like BS but then again, Porsche isn't really cutting edge when it comes to technology not having to do with the driving experience. This morning they told me it should be done by 3 pm today, but I am not holding my breath. Sucks because I need a car to get to a wake and funeral this weekend and this is the only car I keep in NYC. I would say communication isn't a strong point at this shop. It will certainly be my first and last service call with them.
Bassman37 (02-13-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 07:07 PM
papb
Instructor

Update:

TLDR: Service experience in Manhattan was awful. Process was awful. At the end are tips if you go for the upgrade.

So that was an awful process, although I feel like it was more due to this shop than it was the process itself. In the end they said the programing was taking much longer than anticipated, which if true, means the car was going through "programing" for around 26 hours straight. I wonder if they were using that as an excuse because they hadn't gotten to my car yet.

Once I told them I needed my car or a loaner today so I can attend my grandmother's funeral tomorrow (which isn't a lie), the car was all done (sort-of--see below) in about an hour.

I go get the car (which took like 15 minutes for them to bring out) and it looks like Car Connect is not activated anymore. After telling them this, they call up the shop manager who appears 20 minutes later. He plugs in his PIWIS but cannot get it to activate; we maneuver the car to find satellite connect but it still won't go. He then says the tech who upgraded the hardware never updated the hardware ID in the Porsche network so it couldn't activate. He disappears again for 15 minutes to go update something in the workshop. After he comes back, him and I struggle now to find a location where the car can see the satellites AND keep his PIWIS in in wifi range, all while racing the battery on the PIWIS which is about to die. This finally did it. I was there for an hour and a half sorting out something the Tech should have done before I got there.

So here is my rant because I am still annoyed:
1) Horrible communication from service manager; she ignored my texts and calls the whole day yesterday when I was planning to pick the car up just before closing, as her and I planned. She only called me to say it wasn't done when it would have been too late for me to go get the car anyways.
2) The service manager never gave my activation code to the tech or the tech didn't know they needed to reactivate the system. Neither is really acceptable since it wasted 1.5hrs of my time
3) They depleted my hybrid battery and then didn't charge. When I was standing around for over an hour, they also refused to charge it. One of the floor guys was about to plug it in for me and someone came running over and said service manager said do not do anything more to this car. It really felt like they didn't want to give me the $1.50 of electricity.

Here are tips specific to this upgrade:
1) It seems that, at least this shop, didn't know what they are doing with this update yet. I was told I was there first and the guinea pig. Kind of BS but whatever.
2) It might take hours up to days to program (assuming they weren't lying). It seems like they don't know so be prepared for it to take longer than expected.
3) Have your activation code ready (the one you received from vodafone by email). If you lost the email, the shop manager was able to locate the code somewhere in the Porsche network.
4) Don't drive away without checking it is activated. Mine definitely was not.
5) The old Car Connect app might no longer work. The new App works for me but the old didn't. It's unclear if the app is dead or if it was because the activation issue on Porsche end. Either way, I removed the old app and its no longer available for reinstall, so I cannot test it.

All in all, I will never have my car serviced in Manhattan again. Communication was awful and the service was not reactivated when they returned the car back to me; luckily I didn't drive off. Weirdest of all, they depleted my hybrid battery and didn't charge it. CT service shops have always charged it full. I know this was a recall/no charge work-order, but you would think they would spend the $1.50 on electricity and recharge. They drained the battery from about 1/3 full to completely flat, didn't charge it, and then seemed to refuse to charge it when I asked. AND I also only asked because they had me standing around for over an hour since the job wasn't actually finished... It was really weird and not a "luxury" experience.

Sorry for the rant. Hopefully some info above is useful.
Old 02-11-2022, 07:40 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Got an email today from Porsche USA. Said that there is an upgrade to my 911 going from 3G to LTE. Said it’s a paid update. I have to pay. My 911 is 2019 and still on factory warranty. I never activated the system as I wasn’t aware of it. I will tell them that this was part of my purchase so they need to activate it. They should fix it if it doesn’t work. I assume that should be their problem not mine? Always something with Porsche..

actually maybe I’ll not do this. Don’t trust them to pull my dash off. 😎

Last edited by Kelsey; 02-11-2022 at 07:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kelsey:
jbendaou (02-11-2022), MovingChicane (02-11-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 08:04 PM
papb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kelsey
Got an email today from Porsche USA. Said that there is an upgrade to my 911 going from 3G to LTE. Said it’s a paid update. I have to pay. My 911 is 2019 and still on factory warranty. I never activated the system as I wasn’t aware of it. I will tell them that this was part of my purchase so they need to activate it. They should fix it if it doesn’t work. I assume that should be their problem not mine? Always something with Porsche..

actually maybe I’ll not do this. Don’t trust them to pull my dash off. 😎
I wonder why you have to pay... is it because you didn't actively have service? That seems crazy. My CPO 2017 cayenne was free upgrade; I had activated the remote control features when I bought it since it came with 5 (?) years free.

Paying/removing dash might not be worth it; since I have a hybrid, the best feature of this is the remote climate control (hybrid only). Other than that, it will show you if doors are unlocked or windows open, and will allow you to track its location. If you pay more, it also includes security tracking/anti- theft features and accident monitoring. Depending on the cost, its not that many features so prob not worth it.

Quick Reply: Porsche Car Connect Module - Technology Upgrade- recall