Sponsored by:

Porsche Car Connect Module - Technology Upgrade- recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 11:58 AM
jbendaou
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Porsche Car Connect Module - Technology Upgrade- recall

Hi all...I reached out to my Porsche dealer to enable Porsche car connect on my 2019 911 and was told they cant since at&t is dropping 3g network and will eventually need to upgrade my GSM module.
i did find a post about this topic for someone with a Cayenne2017: Porsche Car Connect upgrade to 4G LTE due to AT&T cutting off 3G GSM | Planet-9 Porsche Forum

does anyone know what GSM networks are used on 2019 Porsches for car connect? My PCM does show LTE but this may not be used for Porsche car connect services. i find it hard to believe (OR NOT) Porsche would use 3G in a 2019 car.

Old 12-07-2021, 03:29 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

Planned obsolescence.

A system for easy upgrades could have been built in but then things could be useful longer.

THEY don't want that.
The following users liked this post:
jbendaou (12-07-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 05:24 PM
jbendaou
Instructor

you right! pretty pathetic! time to start leasing cars!
Old 12-08-2021, 03:51 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Free Update/Upgrade

I received a notice that Porsche is upgrading my system to take 4G free of charge. Just set up an appointment. Might be because my Targa is still in warranty. Not sure. But they were clear there would be no charge.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:35 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbrooksr
I received a notice that Porsche is upgrading my system to take 4G free of charge. Just set up an appointment. Might be because my Targa is still in warranty. Not sure. But they were clear there would be no charge.
what year?
Old 12-08-2021, 05:45 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack F
what year?
If you are asking the year of my Targa? 2019. If you are asking by when the upgrade needs be done? February 2022. Otherwise, I am not sure of your question.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:18 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

Interesting on the 4g upgrade, warranty on mine good until 1/23.

Would appreciate seeing a copy of that Porsche letter.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:50 AM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Default 4G Issue

This is what I and others received. Hope it applies to you as well.

"As wireless technology continues to evolve, telecommunications providers in North America are transitioning from their 3G networks to focus their resources on more advanced technology. AT&T made a decision to sunset their 3G network
on February 22nd, 2022. Unfortunately, this decision is beyond Porsche’s control.

As a result, the following Porsche Car Connect services* previously offered in your 911 Carrera S will be impacted:

Remote Services, Safety Services, and Security Services.

We are pleased to offer you a technology upgrade to replace the existing 3G connectivity module with a 4G LTE module free of charge for parts and labor. This product will be available at your authorized Porsche dealership in late December 2021**.

What you should do.
If you wish to continue uninterrupted Porsche Car Connect subscription services, please plan to make an appointment at your dealership in late December and complete the technology upgrade before February 22nd 2022. With an active subscription, your Porsche Car Connect Services can continue to function after the technology upgrade.

Find Out More
Please feel free to reach out to our Porsche Connect team at 1-800-PORSCHE(1-800-767-7243) should you have any questions.

*Navigation & Infotainment package and WiFi package are not affected.
**Availability of the 4G LTE connectivity module can vary per dealership."

Good luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by Fbrooksr:
BSO (12-09-2021), T3X4S (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 04:08 PM
jbendaou
Instructor

Since your warranty is expiring soon, i recommend you reach out to them ASAP and get them to order the part and install it. the replacement SHOULD be free if still under warranty. if the dealership gives you hard time, check another dealer (if lucky to have more than one in your area).

I was told by my dealer that they will replace the part for free since i still have warranty on my 2019 911. oh by the way, my dealership said it will take about 3 to 4 days to install the replacement part since the whole dashboard of the car needs to be taken out. great if others can share their replacement experience.

btw, i went to a different dealership AND they enabled Porsche car connect for me...the first dealership told me they cannot enable it because the Porsche system wont allow them to connect a soon to be retired network (ya very stilly of them to say that since the 3G network car will work until feb 2022)
Old 12-09-2021, 04:15 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 865 Likes on 568 Posts

I dont have a sim card in my car and dont plan on it, should I still be worried about this??
Old 12-09-2021, 04:47 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Just spoke with my local dealer about this. Per their computers that are linked with Porsche the parts for the upgrade are not available just yet. Because of the service bulletin type they said it should be covered (regardless of warranty status)
Old 12-09-2021, 04:50 PM
jbendaou
Instructor

If still covered until warranty, i say do it. get them to replace it for free.
i understand you dont use porsche car connect but if you decide to sell the car, the new owner will be happy you did.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:39 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Default Didn't know anything about it!

I just called my local dealer and had to tell him about it. Once he went into the Bulletins, it was found. After reading about it, he said it would take about 5 hours to complete. No issues about in or out of warranty.

The Mobile, AL Porsche dealership just changed ownershi status as the prior owners were not well thought of in the community. I think it is now a factory owned store. We'll see how they do. They were great on the 10,000 service recently done.

As someone else just said, I would have this done whether you use the Car Connect or not. The next owner might want it and you might have to explain why its not in the car. I do use it and find it helpful.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:47 PM
CraigW1
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbrooksr
This is what I and others received. Hope it applies to you as well.

"As wireless technology continues to evolve, telecommunications providers in North America are transitioning from their 3G networks to focus their resources on more advanced technology. AT&T made a decision to sunset their 3G network
on February 22nd, 2022. Unfortunately, this decision is beyond Porsche’s control.

As a result, the following Porsche Car Connect services* previously offered in your 911 Carrera S will be impacted:

Remote Services, Safety Services, and Security Services.

We are pleased to offer you a technology upgrade to replace the existing 3G connectivity module with a 4G LTE module free of charge for parts and labor. This product will be available at your authorized Porsche dealership in late December 2021**.

What you should do.
If you wish to continue uninterrupted Porsche Car Connect subscription services, please plan to make an appointment at your dealership in late December and complete the technology upgrade before February 22nd 2022. With an active subscription, your Porsche Car Connect Services can continue to function after the technology upgrade.

Find Out More
Please feel free to reach out to our Porsche Connect team at 1-800-PORSCHE(1-800-767-7243) should you have any questions.

*Navigation & Infotainment package and WiFi package are not affected.
**Availability of the 4G LTE connectivity module can vary per dealership."

Good luck!
I received the same email. 2019 911 GTS
Old 12-10-2021, 12:35 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

5 hour job involving dash removal?

I think I will end up passing on that. Something that has to seriously be thought about.
The following users liked this post:
rchaas (12-16-2021)

Quick Reply: Porsche Car Connect Module - Technology Upgrade- recall